Author Topic: Steps to stop the Tigers underachieving .... (Sportsfan/afl website)  (Read 6417 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Steps to stop the Tigers underachieving

Bradley Dawson
Sportsfan.com.au
13 December 2015

Richmond fans are hurting. That's a given, they're always hurting. But after their team's choke in the 2015 elimination final against North Melbourne, they are hurting even more than usual. If Richmond had beaten the Kangaroos they could well have beaten an undermanned Sydney the following week just as North did and made a preliminary final. But 'ifs' don't count for much.

So why does Richmond keep failing? They have a good-enough list after years of failure has given them lots of first-round draft picks, their list is also at around the right age and experience, and they're doing well off the field. But apart from physical factors like the make-up of their team, have years and years of mediocrity embedded a poor, 'close enough is good enough' culture at Punt Road? How do they change things and start winning the big ones?

Change their leadership …

The problem lies in the team's leadership, or lack of it. History shows that two of the team's top three on-field leaders Trent Cotchin and Brett Deledio (Ivan Maric is second vice-captain along with Deledio) are susceptible to big-match pressure and can be tagged out of important games. He might be a nice guy, but Cotchin had a dismal final, registering just nine disposals, and while Deledio did a little better, he had no real influence on the result after quarter-time. It's time Richmond gave these positions to big-game players. Look at how Sam Mitchell and Luke Hodge perform when it counts.

We see Jack Riewoldt as the best choice for Richmond captain, with Maric as deputy. A lot of non-Tiger fans won't believe what they've just read, but those two are the logical choice. Over the last couple of years Riewoldt has shelved his petulant acts, developed his game to a new level, particularly the defensive side of it, and keeps standing up under pressure in the big games. Unlike Cotchin, he is an extrovert on-field and has much more of a chance to not only influence a match but he also appears to have more ability to inspire his teammates.

… and the coach

Damien Hardwick took a couple of steps forward in 2015, but unfortunately undid all his good work with a terrible final week. He out-coached Alastair Clarkson, Ross Lyon and John Longmire during the home-and-away season. He deliberately put added pressure on his team with a couple of well-timed public statements such as 'big-boys' month' in order to get the best out of a team he knew had to be able to respond to such pressure. Hardwick had been guilty in the past of not being hard enough on his team, so this was a good sign.

But, like Cotchin and Deledio, he failed when it mattered. Firstly he said all the wrong things and gave all the wrong messages to his team and their opposition in the week leading up to the final. All the talk before the clash with North Melbourne was of how much better the Tigers were than in the years of their two previous first-week finals losses, how the team had matured, that they had learned from the defeats. There was no talk of the two previous losses 'still burning', of how they had 'achieved nothing'. And then there was this: "We just have to prepare thoroughly for this game and make sure we get the win that we deserve". The word 'deserve' is not something you can imagine Alastair Clarkson using until after a finals win, not before.

Hardwick then botched things at the selection table for the final by bringing back underdone duo Reece Conca and Ben Griffiths for the intensity of a sudden-death final when neither had played for a month. Griffiths missed two gettable goals in the first quarter but then had a forgettable game before being subbed out in the third quarter with just four possessions for Conca, who kicked a goal and went reasonably well without having a huge impact. These picks really stunk of panic and you have to think that Hardwick, after six years in the job, has shown that he is an occasionally top-notch coach, just not in the big moments.

Hardwick's contract expires at the end of 2016, and the Tigers should not even think about extending it until they have won a game in September. But they can't do that and will be forced to extend their coach's contract early in 2016. They would be mad to sign him for anything more than one extra year, however. If the team finally wins a final, then and only then will he have earned the right to push for more. If they don't, they can still sack Hardwick and have the money to easily pay out the remainder of a one-year contract extension.

Don't get ahead of themselves

Just days after the Tigers upset Hawthorn in round 18, Tiger midfielder Deledio was asked whether he thought his side could win the premiership. Instead of batting away talk of grand finals, or even finals, Deledio foolishly tempted the footballing gods. "Absolutely. You've got to be in it to win it," Deledio said. Richmond haven't done anything substantial for more than Deledio's lifetime (and at the time of the radio interview were still not even guaranteed a place in the finals), yet one of their team leaders was talking grand finals? The only time you mention the grand final is when you're in it. And, by the way, the Tigers got absolutely belted by the Crows the following week. These sorts of statements not only shouldn't be said be senior players, they shouldn't even be thought by them.

Get the right game-plan

Having become competitive enough to make the finals in the last three years, the Tigers have to now fiddle with their style of play. They must get better at contested, hard, inside footy, which is what wins in finals, rather than the attractive, free-flowing outside stuff or possession-oriented football they are so good at. Hawthorn can do both, the Tigers can't, and regularly lose the contested ball count plus fail to stick anywhere near enough tackles in high-intensity games.

Get a back-up ruckman

While Maric is a wonderful team man and leader and always gives 110 per cent, he is slow and does get tired. Shaun Hampson doesn't have the durability or the around-the-ground marking ability to be relied on as a back-up, and Griffiths can't seem to stay on the park for long enough either, while Tyrone Vickery just doesn't have the ruck skills. The Tigers have picked up a couple of young rookie ruckmen in Ivan Soldo and Mabior Chol, but they aren't going to be the answer for at least a couple of years. In reality, the Tigers are one big injury to Maric away from being more or less without a ruckman. That's not going to get them far in September.

What should the Tigers do to get to the next level?

http://www.sportsfan.com.au/steps-to-stop-the-tigers-underachieving/tabid/91/newsid/182540/default.aspx?cid=SF_LOWDOWN_AFL_article_stepstostopthetigersunderachieving_111215

dwaino

Re: Steps to stop the Tigers underachieving .... (Sportsfan/afl website)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 09:17:43 PM »
What's wrong with Deledio's "You've got to be in it to win it" comment? That's the truth isn't it? Seemed like a fair enough response to me. If the players aren't meant to talk about grand finals then don't stuffing ask them about it.

Offline dogged

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 09:27:18 AM »
Who in the hell is Bradley dawson? , gotta love these wannabe experts who go to uni and get a degree in journalism, suddenly they are  part of the elite espousing their profound opinions and criticising people they have no right to!

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 09:45:57 AM »
knob head
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 10:30:45 AM »
Would rather read claws paragraph less rants
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 10:56:08 AM »
Who in the hell is Bradley dawson? , gotta love these wannabe experts who go to uni and get a degree in journalism, suddenly they are  part of the elite espousing their profound opinions and criticising people they have no right to!

Take it for what it is ...

A good laugh, can't be anything else

No point getting stressed about an article by a wannabe  :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 01:22:17 PM »
I'm curious as to who has right to criticise who, and how and who determines that?

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 02:09:04 PM »
What's wrong with the article?

A few truths hitting home?
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 02:10:43 PM »
Looks a pretty spot on assessment to me, agree with most of it.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 02:19:23 PM »
some people are just selfish and want all the criticising left to themselves, while others believe that if you arnt lucky enough to be born with enough football talent to play at a high level you are not entitled to comment on football

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 02:20:41 PM »

Exactly
"Sliding doors moment.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 02:20:58 PM »
far too many journalist students ...
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 02:21:44 PM »
.....and not enough internet nuffers

Offline dogged

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 02:21:56 PM »
Of course you do....pffffft

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 02:30:35 PM »
Of course you do....pffffft

So what key points are wrong with the article?
"Sliding doors moment.