Author Topic: Why aren't we better?  (Read 6114 times)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Why aren't we better?
« on: December 29, 2015, 07:00:51 AM »
When you look at it, when injury free we should be a contender - at least as a side to be pushing into a Grand Final.
We have genuine quality across all lines - Rance and Vlas across the back 6, Cotchin, Miles and Dusty through the guts and Jack, Lids & Titch up forward.
That top end quality is as good as any other team - these players would be key players in all teams.
It's the best since our last flag.
While it does fall away after that, what clubs doesn't? - apart perhaps from the Hawks
We have shown that we are highly competitive against the best in the competition- beating Hawks, Freo, Sydney and while we have our bogey sides - who doesn't?
My question here is what is missing?
Our ability to stand up in finals and start the season strongly are the missing elements.
While some might argue its list talent, why can't  the same players perform at those key times of the year?
We seem to nail say 16 weeks of the year but struggle in the other 6-8 weeks.
On finals, why can our top end talent rise to the occasion collectively in finals?
Am I over rating them?
Is it the coach?
Is it our culture?
 Logically we should play finals and go deep into 2016 (barring injury to our key players)
Why am I nervous that the opposite will happen ?  :-\
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
Re: Why aren't we better?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 09:32:56 AM »
There are many factors.

What i will say is that for every name we say from our list (cotchin deledio martin) nearly every other team in contention could do the same from there team who are arguably better, and who perform when it counts.

I'll add to the list:-

Lack of leadership
Average coach. One dimensional game plan, slow to make changes
Average recruitment. Particularly recruiting solid contesters rather than highly skilled/game turners.
Selection table - reluctance to give games to more quickly develop talent and instead play older top up players (who generally end up being delisted in 1-3 years).
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 10:17:51 AM »
There are many factors.

What i will say is that for every name we say from our list (cotchin deledio martin) nearly every other team in contention could do the same from there team who are arguably better, and who perform when it counts.

I'll add to the list:-

Lack of leadership
Average coach. One dimensional game plan, slow to make changes
Average recruitment. Particularly recruiting solid contesters rather than highly skilled/game turners.
Selection table - reluctance to give games to more quickly develop talent and instead play older top up players (who generally end up being delisted in 1-3 years).

The problem that I have with your first paragraph is we continue to perform well in H&A seasons - 3 years has to be a trend and we've beaten top 4 sides and had tougher draws the last 2 years.
So based purely on your first paragraph, surely our star factor is as good as the best, not as bad as the rest?
Of the rest of your post - strong leadership (in finals) - makes sense, coaching - is it being one dimensional or preparation that game plan to withstand finals pressure? I reckon his coaching has improved in the H&A - Hawks win as one example.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 10:51:36 AM »
I don't think it can be assumed that because we beat some top teams during the home and away season that our top 4-6 players are better than the oppositions top 4-6 players for that team over the season, or couple of seasons.

We fall into the habit of reeling names off cotchin deledio martin as if it's some sort of ticket to brag but really history has shown they are par for the course against other contesting teams top few, and seldom win games of their own boots

There are also other factors why we beat top teams which fall outside the top players performing well.
"Sliding doors moment.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 11:47:50 AM »
Perhaps but they play well and generally speaking we end up winning.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 11:54:26 AM »
We are good enough - but we are chokers,  plain and simple
. The pressure of sudden death is too much for this team.

In cricketing terms - we are South Africa at the World Cup.

But we are not Robinson Crusoe....plenty of other teams ( like Port & West Coast ) had similar problems before going on to inherent the earth.
Unleash the tornado

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 12:50:06 PM »
The most telling reason I think is that the players are fed up with team selections, massive case in point the team we selected to play in our 2015 final.

This causes a flow on effect, players are confused when nufties are gifted games.

It also causes disunity within the team and disbelief in coaching staff and selectors.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 01:09:03 PM by MintOnLamb »

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 01:35:45 PM »
The most telling reason I think is that the players are fed up with team selections, massive case in point the team we selected to play in our 2015 final.

This causes a flow on effect, players are confused when nufties are gifted games.

It also causes disunity within the team and disbelief in coaching staff and selectors.

Griffiths and Conca were gifted that final. North couldnt believe their luck.

Hardwick sees Conca as a Stewie Dew. Fact is, he's younger, slower and plain poo.

Has there ever been a Richmond player with worse skin folds than Conca? I think not
"Sliding doors moment.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 01:41:40 PM »

Griffiths and Conca were gifted that final. Hardwick sees Conca as a Stewie Dew. Fact is, he's younger, slower and plain poo.

Has there ever been a Richmond player with worse skin folds than Conca? I think not
Newman was a shocking selection as well

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 01:43:45 PM »
oh look...
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 02:14:00 PM »

Griffiths and Conca were gifted that final. Hardwick sees Conca as a Stewie Dew. Fact is, he's younger, slower and plain poo.

Newman was a shocking selection as well

Selections are an issue, that makes perfect sense.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 06:16:30 PM »
Not hard enough between the ears

Not enough leadership

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 06:40:30 PM »
Ordinary supporters

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 07:04:51 PM »
Agree Chucky....far too many who accept mediocrity and would be far more suited to following pathetic minnow clubs with low expectations like Footscray, North & St.Kilda than a large & grand club with high expectations a proud history like ours......really are dragging us down those types...
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 07:14:54 PM »
Agree Chucky....far too many who accept mediocrity and would be far more suited to following pathetic minnow clubs with low expectations like Footscray, North & St.Kilda than a large & grand club with high expectations a proud history like ours......really are dragging us down those types...

Exactly
"Sliding doors moment.