Author Topic: Why aren't we better?  (Read 6117 times)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: Why aren't we better?
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2015, 02:09:46 PM »
Above the shoulders, need more of die for the cause 'dustin martin' types.
Unfortunately the afl is going a bit Nancy making it a fine line between pleasure and pain!

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2015, 02:57:03 PM »
Franchised leadership never works.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2015, 03:07:23 PM »
Yes it's dumb luck Richmond have won 42 out of the past 66 games .  ::) ::)

42 out of 69 actually.....but I eagerly await the trophy the AFL will surely be presenting us for only losing 27 matches in three years...have they had one struck yet? When do we get it? Before the round one match? Do you think KB or Richo will do the honours?

In a Home and Away season, what do you think would constitute a good season?

Finishing Top 4 is a good H&A season - plenty of mediocre sides have won enough matches to make the bottom 4 of the top 8 over the years  - it's not really the Everest of Football we make it out to be, regardless if you can't win a final, it's irrelevant......hell, Geelong won two finals in 2008 and only lost one H&A match - you reckon they and their supporters look back on that season with any fondness or sense of pride? What about the year we won 14 matches and missed the finals altogether? Was that a good season?
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2015, 03:32:28 PM »

42 out of 69 actually.....but I eagerly await the trophy the AFL will surely be presenting us for only losing 27 matches in three years...have they had one struck yet? When do we get it? Before the round one match? Do you think KB or Richo will do the honours?

I would rather we get the trophy for losing 27 games in 3 years ( hawthorn have lost 15 and won a three peat )
Than getting the Newman Silvia cup - an award for sucking the most - I believe Richmond is a leading candidate for playing in only two finals series in 31 years ( in an era of equalisation )

I would hope people are aspiring to more than just being better than crappy Richmond sides of the past -because if that's all the standard is, we'll never get anywhere....and the reality is that after 6 years, Hardwick and this group, though more consistent, are still yet to have as good a season as Frawley's best season...
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2015, 03:34:33 PM »
Diocletian - what year did we win 14 games and miss out ? 

Was it back in the VFL days ?
Unleash the tornado

Offline mat073

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2015, 04:07:23 PM »

I would rather we get the trophy for losing 27 games in 3 years ( hawthorn have lost 15 and won a three peat )
Than getting the Newman Silvia cup - an award for sucking the most - I believe Richmond is a leading candidate for playing in only two finals series in 31 years ( in an era of equalisation )

I would hope people are aspiring to more than just being better than crappy Richmond sides of the past -because if that's all the standard is, we'll never get anywhere....and the reality is that after 6 years, Hardwick and this group, though more consistent, are still yet to have as good a season as Frawley's best season...

Disagree . 2015 Richmond is superior to Frawleys 2001 team and has far more upside .
Some people ( like Mick Malthouse) subscribe to the theory that wins ( and ladder position) are not true indicators of a teams ability because of the inequalities of the draw . Percentage is a more reliable measure of a teams worth.

2015 Richmond had the best percentage since 1982.
Unleash the tornado

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2015, 04:15:27 PM »
Diocletian - what year did we win 14 games and miss out ? 

Was it back in the VFL days ?

Sorry - I was thinking it was either '98 or '94 when a we had the same wins as both 7th & 8th but it was only 12 wins...though I swear there was a graphic on Fox Footy months ago of an AFL ladder with us on 14 wins one year but still finishing 9th.....the hosts were even cracking the usual jokes about it...must've been wrong.....though we did win 13 matches 1981 VFL but finished 7th under the old final 5 system....

Disagree . 2015 Richmond is superior to Frawleys 2001 team and has far more upside .
Some people ( like Mick Malthouse) subscribe to the theory that wins ( and ladder position) are not true indicators of a teams ability because of the inequalities of the draw . Percentage is a more reliable measure of a teams worth.

2015 Richmond had the best percentage since 1982.

Of course they are superior to Frawey's side....which is why it's an indictement that they still haven't reached the heights of 2001 in terms of ladder position or finals performance....we are yet to even achieve, let alone over achieve....

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2015, 04:37:14 PM »

In a Home and Away season, what do you think would constitute a good season?

Radical notion - how bout top 4
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2015, 05:02:43 PM »

It more so proves that you can't afford to get away to crappy starts at the beginning of your tenure as coach.

You never catch up.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2015, 05:03:38 PM »
He should have been replaced after the first final loss.
That was the accumulation of his best work.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2015, 05:04:00 PM »
It proves other sides have attempted a proper rebuild

Rather than topping up a middling list
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline mat073

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2015, 05:06:10 PM »

It more so proves that you can't afford to get away to pooty starts at the beginning of your tenure as coach.

You never catch up.

What if you are clearly the worst team in the competition at the start of your tenure ?
Unleash the tornado

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2015, 05:07:57 PM »
There you have a free pass to lose as many elimination finals as you like

And give your list blocking limp goat mates long term deals

Offline mat073

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2015, 05:15:26 PM »
It proves other sides have attempted a proper rebuild

Rather than topping up a middling list

Been an impressive rebuild when you take into account it was done during an era of compromised drafts where we were denied the usual access to the cream of the crop.

Gone from "worst team since Fitzroy" to statically the fifth best team over the past 3 years.
Our stars are still easily in their prime , unlike a North who will have 5 players over 32 next year.
Unleash the tornado

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2015, 05:16:36 PM »
Why is it always someone else's fault at RIchmond??

Caracella and Balmey.