Author Topic: International Politics  (Read 89866 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: International Politics
« Reply #480 on: July 15, 2024, 07:22:25 AM »
Confirmed donor to Democrat causes.

Weird

One $15 donation in 2021...
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #481 on: July 15, 2024, 08:49:04 AM »
Shooter sounds like a nut case. Evidence is pointing towards a Republican leaning nut case.
The Republican convention is still going to allow guns into the convention centre. Nut cases the lot of them.
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Founding member of the Fab 5
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #482 on: July 15, 2024, 09:23:37 AM »

Weird

That's more than he voted republican

Democrats were wrong for this. This kid turned into a violent lefty
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #483 on: July 15, 2024, 04:07:25 PM »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #484 on: July 15, 2024, 10:01:23 PM »

Weird

That's more than he voted republican

Democrats were wrong for this. This kid turned into a violent lefty

:shh
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #485 on: July 16, 2024, 12:06:11 AM »
It's not uncommon for people to register for the opposing party in closed primary states like Pennsylvania in order to vote against candidates in that party's primaries... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Founding member of the Fab 5
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #486 on: July 16, 2024, 04:19:38 AM »
:shh :shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #487 on: July 16, 2024, 04:27:18 AM »

Gee they were quick to run with an angle.  :shh
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #488 on: July 16, 2024, 12:58:35 PM »

Gee they were quick to run with an angle.  :shh

Plenty of angles being run with this story from both sides

He's locked in his running mate JD Vance, who in the past hasn't been that complimentary of the former President.  :rollin

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #489 on: July 16, 2024, 01:11:46 PM »
JD Vance did a total backflip on Trump. Now he's the vice presidential nominee

By Nick Pearson
12:32pm Jul 16, 2024

In 2016, JD Vance was horrified by the rise of Donald Trump in the Republican party.
At the time Vance was a San Francisco venture capitalist promoting his memoir about growing up in suburban Ohio.

"I'm a 'Never Trump' guy," he said during a TV interview. "I never liked him."

His comments in private were even more damning.

"I go back and forth between thinking Trump is a cynical hole like Nixon who wouldn't be that bad (and might even prove useful) or that he's America's Hitler," he wrote in a message to a former roommate.

But Vance has changed his tune dramatically, becoming one of Trump's most vocal backers in Washington.

So it wasn't a surprise when Vance was named as the Republican vice presidential nominee.

So who is JD Vance, and how will his selection impact the election?

Who is JD Vance?

James David Vance grew up in Middletown, Ohio, a suburb of Cincinnati, a childhood well-documented by his memoir Hillbilly Elegy.

Vance was raised by his grandparents as his mother battled drug addiction.

JD Vance served in the Marine Corps in the public affairs unit. (US Marine Corps)

He enlisted in the Marine Corps, and served in Iraq in the public affairs office as a combat correspondent.

After that, he went to Yale Law School, serving as editor of the Yale Law Journal.

He then moved to San Francisco, working as a venture capitalist for PayPal founder Peter Thiel.

Then after the success of his memoir, he moved back to Ohio in 2016.

Vance spent much of his adult life as an atheist before converting to Catholicism in 2020.

He has three children with his wife Usha.

In 2022 he was elected to the Senate, his first job in professional politics. He was sworn into office in January last year.

At just 39, Vance would be the youngest vice president ever elected, as well as the first Millennial on a presidential ballot.

He will be the first vice presidential candidate with a full beard since Allen G Thurman in 1888.

Why did Trump choose JD Vance?

Vance has always been top of the Republican shortlist for vice president.

Despite a lack of experience, Vance is a proven media performer, making regular appearances on cable news as a vociferous defender of the former president.

Vance's previous comments about Trump are hardly unusual. Also on his shortlist was Marco Rubio, who in 2016 had made inferences about Trump based on his small hands.

Vance's selection is a strong indication of how the Republican party has been remoulded to suit Trump.

While the Republican establishment was horrified by Trump in 2016, those who remain in powerful positions have since learned to embrace him.

What does JD Vance believe?

Vance has been unafraid to offend those he views as sharing a different worldview to him.

He has especially taken aim at people, especially women, who do not have children.

"We are effectively run in the country, via the Democrats, via our corporate oligarchs, by a bunch of childless cat ladies who are miserable at their own lives and the choices that they've made, and so they want to make the rest of the country miserable, too," he said in 2021.

He named Kamala Harris, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Pete Buttigieg as people "who don't have a direct stake" in the future of the country because they were childless.

Vance has previously stated that abortion should be a crime even in cases of rape and incest.

He has also been one of the Senate's most vocal opponents on sending aid to Ukraine, instead pushing to a settlement with Russia.

Vance however is a hardliner on China, pushing for more military aid to Taiwan.

Will JD Vance help Trump get elected?

On paper, Vance does not offer much to the ticket.

Vance has fashioned himself as an economic populist and a social conservative, and voters who like that would be opting for Trump anyway.

There is also the potential that Vance will alienate moderates with his conservative views and his unapologetic attitude.

He also comes from Ohio, which is no longer a swing state. His winning margin in 2022 was also less than Trump's in that state in 2020.

But what he does bring is an attack-dog energy that Trump likes. He is good on TV and on stage, but in a way that doesn't overshadow Trump.

https://www.9news.com.au/world/who-is-jd-vance-donald-trump-vice-presidential-running-mate-news/60e15c03-ee79-4fed-a0c7-7480d1b9754f?ref=BP_RSS_ninenews_3_jd-vance-did-a-total-backflip-on-trump--now-he-s-the-vice-presid_160724

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #490 on: July 16, 2024, 01:13:46 PM »
Got no issue with the bloke whacking Trump years ago and now loving Trump

But I do have an issues with his disgraceful comments about childless women/couples and his view on abortion

But whatever

Offline Gigantor

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #491 on: July 16, 2024, 02:29:15 PM »
WP. I think no matter the politician and no matter on what part of the political spectrum they sit, they will say anything whilst on the hustings to get elected. Personally I don’t believe a word any of  them say.
Maybe I’m way too cynical.WP is there a politician you know that’s worthy of our trust?

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #492 on: July 16, 2024, 04:18:29 PM »
Harris basically called Biden a rapist during the 2020 Democrat presidential primary... :shh

- Thomas Sowell

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #493 on: July 16, 2024, 09:29:12 PM »
I don't see you calling for links when the claim was thrown out that Trump supports war in Ukraine

For the record I never said he supports the war in Ukraine, I said he supports Putin. Massive difference.

He's made it clear that he doesn't support the US supplying billions in military aid. As does his running mate.

His running mate clearly doesn't care because in an interview he said "“I don’t really care what happens to Ukraine one way or the other,” Senator Vance has said.   (https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/15/world/europe/ukraine-jd-vance.html) *** you can find it in multiple articles across the web

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #494 on: July 16, 2024, 09:53:36 PM »
WP. I think no matter the politician and no matter on what part of the political spectrum they sit, they will say anything whilst on the hustings to get elected. Personally I don’t believe a word any of  them say.
Maybe I’m way too cynical.WP is there a politician you know that’s worthy of our trust?

Nope, don't trust any of them myself.

And for the record re my comments earlier this 👇

Got no issue with the bloke whacking Trump years ago and now loving Trump

But I do have an issues with his disgraceful comments about childless women/couples and his view on abortion

But whatever

My issue is with these gems from Vance

He has especially taken aim at people, especially women, who do not have children.

"We are effectively run in the country, via the Democrats, via our corporate oligarchs, by a bunch of childless cat ladies who are miserable at their own lives and the choices that they've made, and so they want to make the rest of the country miserable, too," he said in 2021.

He named Kamala Harris, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Pete Buttigieg as people "who don't have a direct stake" in the future of the country because they were childless.

So I wonder does this apply to those women and couples who can't have children or just those who make the decision not to?

What a narrow minded assertion but reading more about him it isn't a great surprise. From atheist to staunch Catholic.

Vance has previously stated that abortion should be a crime even in cases of rape and incest.
I get that some people are anti abortion. But to put forward the argument it should be crime in all cases is abhorrent to me. Rape, incest, child molesting and even when it is needed to save a woman's life when a child is dying in the womb this bloke says it is a crime. No wonder he and other Republicans have blocked motions in the Senate to reinstate the Roe v Wade

But at the end of the day each to their own
« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 06:53:31 AM by WilliamPowell »