Author Topic: Brown on schedule for Round 1  (Read 1789 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Brown on schedule for Round 1
« on: October 27, 2005, 12:57:49 PM »
Brown on schedule for Round 1

27 October 2005   Herald Sun
Michael Stevens

RICHMOND is confident its marquee player Nathan Brown will be back playing by the opening round next year.

And the Tigers are leaving nothing to chance to help Brown's recovery from the broken tibia and fibula bones in his right leg.

Fitness coach Warren Koefed went to England to speak to Liverpool officials about a similar injury suffered by star striker Djibril Cisse.

And the club also spent $20,000 of its $100,000 winnings in a Coca Cola promotion on a special treadmill machine and harness that enabled Brown to start running with reduced weight on his legs.

Training with former Western Bulldogs teammate Scott West at Noosa, Brown, 27, yesterday said:

HE HAD been running outdoors for three weeks and his wasted leg had almost regained its normal shape.

HE WOULD have screws removed in two weeks, but would play with a 32cm rod in his leg next season.

HE WOULD be ready to resume playing football in six weeks -- December 10.

MOVEMENT in his toes was slowly returning to normal.

Brown said he had spoken to Brisbane captain Michael Voss about whether to have the rod removed for fear of it being bent if a player fell across him.

"He (Voss) said he played a season with a rod in his leg and had no problems with it," Brown said. "He said it just gave him a bit of reassurance that it was quite strong and everything was going to go along nicely with a rod in there.

"Worrying about someone falling across me would be like worrying about sharks when you go swimming in the ocean."

Although practice matches don't start until February, Brown said he could play games from December 10.

"If I had to put a date on when I thought I'd be right to play a football game I'd say around six weeks from now," he said. "After

December 10, that gives me another 3 1/2 months to get everything right for Round 1.

"Obviously that's going to be a pretty good pre-season and a pretty good launching pad for me."

Brown said that while he did not have full feeling in his toes, the numbness was starting to disappear.

"The nerves take a long time to heal, but I'm assured everything will come back the way it was," he said.

"The body takes longer to repair nerves than it does a calf muscle or hamstring muscle, so I've just got to be patient.

"Obviously, I'm going to be in a little bit of discomfort when I start doing full football exercises, but the more I do the better I'm going to get and the better I'm going to be able to deal with it.

"And I'm really looking forward to Round 1 because I haven't played for a long time."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,17050104%255E20322,00.html
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Brown on schedule for Round 1
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 05:22:26 PM »
All positive news which is great. On ya Browny.

If he kicks the first goal in round 1 everyone in the crowd will go nuts :thumbsup

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tigertough12

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 07:44:15 AM »
i thought he was supposed to have already been running freely? Can someone explain why he is attached to a sling while running on that treadmill in order to keep weight off his legs? I'm starting to think that those rumours may in fact be true.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 09:59:45 AM »
i thought he was supposed to have already been running freely?

It says in the article TT12 that he is running freely - I even highlighted it:

HE HAD been running outdoors for three weeks and his wasted leg had almost regained its normal shape.

Can someone explain why he is attached to a sling while running on that treadmill in order to keep weight off his legs?

Being attached to the sling on the special treadmill was a photo op for the story - no big deal

Certainly the treadmill was used in the begining but he is running outdoors now...........

and if he isn't then there was an imposter jugging laps at Punt Road a few weeks ago  ;D

I'm starting to think that those rumours may in fact be true.

Not true - don't worry :thumbsup
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 10:03:38 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 01:00:02 PM »
I still think the mental demons will haunt him for a whole, which sucks because he was already a softy!

Hopefully he can get over them over time!

letsgetiton!

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 06:08:45 PM »
I still think the mental demons will haunt him for a whole, which sucks because he was already a softy!

the way he conducted himself when he broke his leg just shows that underneath his pretty exterior , he isnt soft and is as tough as they come. dont let his book cover fool u

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 06:11:26 PM »

the way he conducted himself when he broke his leg just shows that underneath his pretty exterior , he isnt soft and is as tough as they come. dont let his book cover fool u
Maybe soft was the wrong word to use, but mores times them not he prefers to avoid the contested situations, and now even moreso he will avoid them!

letsgetiton!

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2005, 08:33:46 PM »

Maybe soft was the wrong word to use, but mores times them not he prefers to avoid the contested situations, and now even moreso he will avoid them!

it may appear that he does avoid contests but thats because he is the man to finish the job, its his job to kick the goals or create them not be in and under . btw remember his first game for the tigers in the wiz cup against the doggies where he was polaxed, he jumped right up and showed no pain. he is tougher than his pretty boy looks appear

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2005, 11:35:17 PM »
True that he is a finisher, not an in and under player, doesn't mean he should avoid contested situations at all costs though!