Author Topic: Jaegar O'Meara considers move to Melbourne-based club next year  (Read 1993 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ralph mentions us but nothing at all concrete.

Jaeger O’Meara seriously considers move to a Melbourne club next year

JON RALPH
Herald Sun
February 2, 2016 8:00pm

JAEGER O’Meara’s manager will meet with Gold Coast on Wednesday as he seriously considers a move to a Melbourne club next year.

The star Gold Coast midfielder is desperate to focus on his football this year and seems likely to park his contract until midyear at best.

The Herald Sun reported last September he seemed destined to leave the Suns, having bought a property in Melbourne as he considered his next step.

West Australian O’Meara has a Melbourne-based girlfriend with a new job in advertising who shares his Prahran apartment.

He could write his own cheque for a new start at a Victorian team but has solicited offers and will instead spend his season focusing on football.

At this stage it would take a significant change of mind for him to consider a long-term contract on the Gold Coast.

Clubs including Carlton, Richmond and Hawthorn would be expected to come hard at O’Meara if he announces his departure.

The Suns received a huge shot in the arm with news star forward Tom Lynch was keen to stay on a new three-year deal.

But while Lynch has always been wedded to the Gold Coast, 21-year-old O’Meara is destined to play football in a big city.

He has no desire to move back to Perth and spent large chunks of the off-season in Melbourne.

O’Meara took on work experience with Fox Footy last year and even took part in a leadership conference on the Mornington Peninsula.

The Gold Coast hopes its new medical and sports science structure and $22 million permanent training and administration base being built will help add to their retention strategy.

Industrious midfielder Dion Prestia has also been contacted by most Melbourne clubs and will assess his options during the season.

Gold Coast football boss Marcus Ashcroft said late last year the Suns believed they could retain the star trio.

‘’We are always confident. I know, having seen the boys here when we had the on-field performances go the way they did sometimes, it can be hard to stay motivated,” he said.

‘’But once we put things in place and the pre-season is in full swing, we have the right people in place to give them what they need and that will roll into them wanting to be at our footy club.

‘’The proof will be in the pudding, but we are supremely confident we have the right people and structures to give them the very best.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jaeger-omeara-seriously-considers-move-to-a-melbourne-club-next-year/news-story/3ecee7d40ba71790eec0f5ac495dd619

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Jaegar O'Meara considers move to Melbourne-based club next year
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 10:30:20 PM »
Get the war chest out again before he somehow ends up at Collingwood.
Unleash the tornado

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 10:31:08 PM »
I would be happy to have O'Meara at Richmond.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 11:40:25 PM »
Let's see if his knee holds up first.....should also be looking at Prestia.....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 11:10:42 AM »

Can we get both??

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 12:16:38 PM »

Can we get both??

What would be market value?
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 12:22:36 PM »

Can we get both??

Too high for both.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 02:14:15 PM »
Smart list managers can always find a way. The real question is are ours smart enough? The ideal situation is to stay in the race for both but only get O' Meara if he stays fit and shows he can still play to his pre-injury level and get Prestia if he doesn't, but not find ourselves committed to both. That's where good list managers earn their keep.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 02:32:23 PM by Diocletian »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Online Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 03:31:20 PM »

Can we get both??

Too high for both.

We traded our second round pick this year for Yarran. Can we still trade our first round pick this year or because we traded the second round we have to keep it?

Any which way you cut it we will need to be trading out one or two of our current list most likely a tall.

Offline Jonesracing82

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 04:11:30 PM »

Can we get both??

Too high for both.

We traded our second round pick this year for Yarran. Can we still trade our first round pick this year or because we traded the second round we have to keep it?

Any which way you cut it we will need to be trading out one or two of our current list most likely a tall.
if Griff don't do anything this year they can have him.

would love O'Meara, but he's had the same injury that cost us C.Knights so that's the worry

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 04:40:16 PM »
Chris Knights is a pretty fair comparison from what I've heard....tread with caution.... :shh

- Thomas Sowell

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 05:18:56 PM »
Get the war chest out again before he somehow ends up at Collingwood.

:lol....YES.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 09:28:48 PM »
'No interest' in talking to Melbourne clubs: O'Meara

Michael Whiting 
afl.com.au
February 3, 2016 7:40 PM

YOUNG Gold Coast star Jaeger O'Meara says he has "no interest" in talking to Melbourne clubs and wants to make a full recovery from his devastating knee injury before opening contract negotiations with the Suns.

With his current deal expiring at the end of the season, O'Meara has been the centre of recent media speculation suggesting he'll look for a move south next year.

However, speaking exclusively to AFL.com.au, the 21-year-old says he has given manager Colin Young simple instructions.

Lynch wants Suns to emulate 'culture clubs'

"I've told him (Young) to wait and let me do my thing and get back to playing footy and feeling good about my body again," O'Meara said.

"I don't want him speaking to any other clubs.

"I'm not about that and I'd like to think I'm a loyal person and I'm not interested in speaking to other clubs at this stage.

"I've advised my manager and I've spoken to the club and our general manager (Marcus Ashcroft) and list manager (Scott Clayton) and I've let them know I want to get back to playing consistent senior footy, and once I'm able to do that, then I'm sure discussions will start to take place."

The club is also keen for O'Meara to return to action before starting negotiations.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-03/no-interest-in-talking-to-melbourne-clubs-omeara

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 09:31:42 PM »
Smart list managers can always find a way. The real question is are ours smart enough? The ideal situation is to stay in the race for both but only get O' Meara if he stays fit and shows he can still play to his pre-injury level and get Prestia if he doesn't, but not find ourselves committed to both. That's where good list managers earn their keep.

Can you give an example where this wonderful theory has actually happened in real life?
I'm fascinated to see how people can be so easily manipulated.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 10:20:41 PM »
Where a club has hedged their bets and gone hard after two players at the same time with the intention of only getting one? Yes I'm sure that's never happened....just like I'm sure clubs have never manipulated players and strung them along and vice versa......or do you think we should just go hard after O'Meara to the expense of all other options and before seeing how he comes back from his serious year long injury first? Or just sit on our hands and go after no-one else while we're waiting to find out?

- Thomas Sowell