Author Topic: Reece McKenzie has retired from AFL Football [update]  (Read 58502 times)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Reece McKenzie
« Reply #105 on: May 15, 2016, 11:38:05 AM »
So you think Marcon can come in and take us to the next level?

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #106 on: May 15, 2016, 11:40:19 AM »

So you think Morris and Batch have come in and taken us to the next level?
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2016, 11:47:36 AM »

Did you have toast for breakfast?

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2016, 11:51:00 AM »

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2016, 03:41:55 AM »
He posted about his situation on BF last night:

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/getting-around-reece-mckenzie.1133167/#post-44789869

Linked it on his twitter account so it is legit:

https://twitter.com/reecemck21?ref_src=twsrc
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #110 on: May 31, 2016, 06:50:14 AM »
Reece McKenzie takes leave from Richmond to deal with mental health issues
May 30, 2016 10:52pm
Jay ClarkHerald Sun

RICHMOND forward Reece McKenzie has detailed his battle with depression, saying it left him unable to leave his bedroom for several days.

The second-year big man on Monday night posted on social media to thank fans for their support as he tackled some mental health problems.

McKenzie has taken leave from the club this year and said he was unsure if he would play football again this season.

The 20-year-old said it was only just recently that he discovered he suffered from anxiety.

“It started off as little things like (being) afraid to talk to certain coaches or trainers, feeling anxious around certain players, trying to avoid people in general,” McKenzie said.

“And then it progressed into way more serious things like panic attacks, unable to leave my bedroom for multiple days and not even being able to respond to all the messages and calls on my phone that I received during that time, as that is also another thing that I struggle with.”

McKenzie, who was taken with pick No. 77 in the 2014 national draft, said the past two years have been “really difficult”.

Richmond has given the Northern Knights product its full support to deal with his mental health issues.

“I don’t want to go into specifics because I don’t want to release really sensitive information but just know that it has affected me to the point where I have suffered spouts of depression for weeks at a time here and there,” he said.

“I don’t drink or do drugs thankfully so I am grounded in myself to see and recognize the issues I have and the effect they have on me.”

The 197cm goal kicker, who is the son of 1987 Carlton premiership player Warren McKenzie, said he would not give up on his footy dream.

“No matter how hard it gets or how low or how anxious I get, I will not give up until I can be the best footballer I possibly can be, because there is nothing else more in the world that I want more,” he said.

“Thank you Richmond Supporters …. you are some of the most passionate supporters I have seen in any sport and for some of you to even know who I am still humbles me.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/reece-mckenzie-takes-leave-from-richmond-to-deal-with-mental-health-issues/news-story/eebd6d4839e47c77e4b81a47c0667471
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #111 on: May 31, 2016, 07:09:25 AM »
Bloody sad this and good on him, many on this forum can climb back under their accusation rock until the next time we have a player with issues. Good on him for dealing with this, good on him for not giving up and my god I hope this ends up a great story of success at the end of the day.

Well done Reece and the best of luck. :thumbsup

"Rucks:

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2016, 07:25:42 AM »
Big thumbs up to Reece :thumbsup and good luck

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #113 on: May 31, 2016, 07:47:37 AM »
Showed great courage to say what he is going through. Good luck Reece.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #114 on: May 31, 2016, 08:28:52 AM »
Showed great courage to say what he is going through. Good luck Reece.

And maturity along with great self awareness.
Well played young man.  :clapping
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #115 on: May 31, 2016, 09:05:13 AM »
All players have the right to their own way of handling things and keeping their privacy but I think McKenzie has nailed it so far. A good step towards recovery IMO :clapping good luck to the big lad. Hope he not only gets better but can be that big, quick FF we need :pray

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #116 on: May 31, 2016, 05:48:32 PM »
Reece McKenzie takes leave from Richmond to deal with mental health issues
May 30, 2016 10:52pm
Jay ClarkHerald Sun

RICHMOND forward Reece McKenzie has detailed his battle with depression, saying it left him unable to leave his bedroom for several days.

The second-year big man on Monday night posted on social media to thank fans for their support as he tackled some mental health problems.

McKenzie has taken leave from the club this year and said he was unsure if he would play football again this season.

The 20-year-old said it was only just recently that he discovered he suffered from anxiety.

“It started off as little things like (being) afraid to talk to certain coaches or trainers, feeling anxious around certain players, trying to avoid people in general,” McKenzie said.

“And then it progressed into way more serious things like panic attacks, unable to leave my bedroom for multiple days and not even being able to respond to all the messages and calls on my phone that I received during that time, as that is also another thing that I struggle with.”

McKenzie, who was taken with pick No. 77 in the 2014 national draft, said the past two years have been “really difficult”.

Richmond has given the Northern Knights product its full support to deal with his mental health issues.

“I don’t want to go into specifics because I don’t want to release really sensitive information but just know that it has affected me to the point where I have suffered spouts of depression for weeks at a time here and there,” he said.

“I don’t drink or do drugs thankfully so I am grounded in myself to see and recognize the issues I have and the effect they have on me.”

The 197cm goal kicker, who is the son of 1987 Carlton premiership player Warren McKenzie, said he would not give up on his footy dream.

“No matter how hard it gets or how low or how anxious I get, I will not give up until I can be the best footballer I possibly can be, because there is nothing else more in the world that I want more,” he said.

“Thank you Richmond Supporters …. you are some of the most passionate supporters I have seen in any sport and for some of you to even know who I am still humbles me.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/reece-mckenzie-takes-leave-from-richmond-to-deal-with-mental-health-issues/news-story/eebd6d4839e47c77e4b81a47c0667471
Wow!
Makes you appreciate them as young men first and footballers a distant second.
That is really sad to read that about one of our own.
Hope he gets well soon. And after that who knows.  :gotigers

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #117 on: May 31, 2016, 06:32:39 PM »
Agree with everything else posters have said.

My question now is, what will the club do with regards to his contract which ends this year? I would offer him a rookie position personally.

What do others think?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #118 on: May 31, 2016, 06:44:31 PM »
Agree with everything else posters have said.

My question now is, what will the club do with regards to his contract which ends this year? I would offer him a rookie position personally.

What do others think?
I'd just let the rest year run its course and then see then.
But if he is still dealing with it, yes a rookie spot seems a good call.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #119 on: May 31, 2016, 09:26:48 PM »
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.