Author Topic: Vfl today  (Read 3921 times)

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Vfl today
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2016, 09:43:28 PM »
There was only one highlight for the game and that was Lennon. By far our best player and the only AFL standard RFC listed player yesterday.

Really? Everyone else said he was poor?

Also, did Chaplin play?
Chaplin did not play. I'm not sure what game others were watching but Lennon was easily best in my opinion. Maybe they were drunk?

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2016, 12:04:57 AM »
There was only one highlight for the game and that was Lennon. By far our best player and the only AFL standard RFC listed player yesterday.

Really? Everyone else said he was poor?

Also, did Chaplin play?
Chaplin did not play. I'm not sure what game others were watching but Lennon was easily best in my opinion. Maybe they were drunk?

Cheers. What about Batch?
I hope for their sake they were drunk and kept it going until the final siren of the firsts

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2016, 12:45:16 PM »
VFL Tigers blitzed by Bombers

richmondfc.com.au
April 3, 2016

Richmond’s VFL side has ended its pre-season campaign after succumbing to a rampaging Essendon by 77 points at Punt Rd Oval.

On a balmy Friday evening, the Bombers blitzed the Tigers with a six-goal-to-nil opening term, which ultimately set-up the win, Essendon 21.7.(133) defeating Richmond 8.8.(56).

The Bombers simply outworked and outclassed their counterparts from the get-go, as the Tigers wilted under the pressure.

The shellshocked Tigers reset at quartertime after trailing by 38 points and begun getting the game played on their terms for patches in the second quarter.

Developing key-defender Todd Elton improved his defensive positioning and began controlling the ball in the air, while industrious midfielders Adam Marcon and Dan Butler lifted.

However, as was the story of the night, turnovers gifted the Bombers easy goals, and restricted the Tigers from gaining any significant momentum.

The Richmond faithful had to wait until halfway through the second term to cheer on a major, as rebounding defender Jason Castagna slotted his set-shot, after a nice assist from Mabior Chol.

Chol showed some promising signs across half-forward, and continually provided a solid contest in the air, and at ground level, with his speed, spring and agility standing out.

The Tigers’ pressure around the ball lifted, allowing them to hold the ball in their front half for chunks of time in the second term, but missed opportunities cost them dearly.

Budding Tiger midfielder Butler impressed again with his speed and tenacity around the contest, and has put together a string of solid performances.

Patches of improvement in the second term were quickly frittered away, as the Tigers leaked easy goals on the rebound, and faced a seven-goal deficit heading into halftime.

Too many times, two, three or even four Bombers were seen streaming towards goal, as they sweat on any errant Richmond disposal and made them pay—with interest.

Any chance of an unlikely comeback in the third term were swiftly erased, as the Bombers opened the second half with three goals in as many minutes, racing to a ten-goal lead.

The ease in which the Bombers were allowed to waltz into open goal was concerning, as the Tigers constantly turned the footy over, which caught their defenders out of position.

Richmond struggled to maintain possession, and as a consequence, the game was played predominantly in Essendon’s half, allowing them to slam on seven-goals-to-two for the quarter.

Energetic Tiger wingman Oleg Markov’s chase down tackle on the outer wing provided a rare third quarter highlight, as he finished the game with a team-high eight tackles.

Rookie Tiger defender Callum Moore’s intercept marking was another promising sign of his development, while Elton again tried his best to repel countless Bomber attacks.

Richmond saved its best quarter for last, and Elton was swung forward to provide a strong aerial contest, and the ploy worked as he capped off a pleasing display.

Chol’s juggling mark and subsequent goal from an acute angle to begin the final quarter delighted the crowd and sparked Richmond into action.

The Tiger key-forwards, although lacking in quality and and quantity of supply had to lift, and they did so in the final term.

Liam McBean showed glimpses of improvement, and assisted Elton with his only goal of the night.

McBean kicked one himself as his workrate and mobility lifted.

Callum Moore showed courage flying back with the flight of the ball late in the game, with his intercept marking improving on a weekly basis.

Moore has enjoyed an encouraging first pre-season at Tigerland and will hopefully build on that over the upcoming season and cement his spot in the key defensive posts.

Tireless Richmond midfielder Adam Marcon (25 disposals and 8 clearances) battled against the tide, while Ben Lennon (18 disposals) and Andrew Moore (21 disposals and 5 clearances) could press for senior selection.

The Tigers lost the final term marginally, and now face the daunting task of reigning premiers Williamstown at Burbank Oval on Sunday 10 April to kick-off the season.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2016-04-03/vfl-tigers-blitzed-by-bombers

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2016, 12:52:43 PM »
Bring in Butler and Lennon.
Out go Hunt and Grimes.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2016, 07:06:55 PM »
Bring in Butler and Lennon.
Out go Hunt and Grimes.

:clapping
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2016, 07:42:39 PM »
Butler is a mile off being ready. Like Ellis he doesnt compete for the ball. He Just spectates the contested ball. He does the odd flashy thing but he is honestly not even at VFL senior standard yet let alone playing AFL seniors. I'm not saying he wont make it but he has a lot to learn first.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2016, 08:24:47 PM »
Butler is a mile off being ready. Like Ellis he doesnt compete for the ball. He Just spectates the contested ball. He does the odd flashy thing but he is honestly not even at VFL senior standard yet let alone playing AFL seniors. I'm not saying he wont make it but he has a lot to learn first.
I disagree.  I've watched him several times.  Has pace, good skills and makes good decisions. He is much better than Hunt.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2016, 08:27:41 PM »
grigg is much better than hunt
bellis is much better than hunt
hampso.....nah
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2016, 10:05:29 PM »
Continuing the sugar-coated match reports this year I see..... everyone playing well, even in floggings.......:shh

Anyhoo....did Ballard play? If so, how'd he go?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 06:52:49 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2016, 10:17:30 PM »
I could be wrong here but arent  they  a side who has most of its reserve grade players playing seniors thus this side is almost a reserve side for the seconds yet defeated our mob by how many.
Fmd
But wait it is not about winning for our  side its about development. Trouble i keep thinking that would be great if only players actually DEVELOPED. LOL.We revel in mediocrity  and actually make excuses for it.
YR 7 TOP 4 NO EXCUSES. Yr 7 and if we had built any thing decent our reserves would not be getting bellted by decimated rivals.They too should be challenging for top 4.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2016, 06:56:26 AM »
I could be wrong here but arent  they  a side who has most of its reserve grade players playing seniors thus this side is almost a reserve side for the seconds yet defeated our mob by how many.

Er NO

For their AFL list they promoted some rookies and signed de-listed / retried AFL players

Their VFL list, you know the players who cannot play for their AFL side is very strong unlike ours, which is average at best

Results was / is not good enough not disputing that but your assumption as to why is so far off the mark it isn't funny
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2016, 09:32:02 AM »

Er NO

For their AFL list they promoted some rookies and signed de-listed / retried AFL players

Their VFL list, you know the players who cannot play for their AFL side is very strong unlike ours, which is average at best

Results was / is not good enough not disputing that but your assumption as to why is so far off the mark it isn't funny
Which players cannot play for the seniors that play for the VFL WP?
You cannot be talking about the banned 12 because they are not allowed to be playing any WADA sport, which includes the VFL.

Thanks.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2016, 09:49:57 AM »

Er NO

McKernan, Bird, Simpkin, Grima, Grimley, Francis, Long, Laverde, Jamar, Edwards and a few rookies played so it wasn't the worst team going around however, still extremely disappointing results from our guys.

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2016, 12:20:30 PM »
Continuing the sugar-coated match reports this year I see..... everyone playing well, even in floggings.......:shh

Anyhoo....did Ballard play? If so, how'd he go?

Ballard didn't play neither did Tom couch, or Kelvin Williams or Ryan Bathie among others
Sam Darley ( our captain) played his first gsme

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2016, 12:22:37 PM »
Thanks....I suspect we might've sorely missed Ballard in the guts for a start....not that I think he alone wouldve made a 13 goal difference....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.