Author Topic: Mick Malthouse  (Read 5998 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Mick Malthouse
« on: May 08, 2004, 05:40:24 PM »
 :D  :D  :D @ Collingwood choking today after being almost 5 goals up in the last quarter.

Anyway, there were quite few unhappy Pie supporters on 3aw saying Malthouse was finished and should go  ??? . Would we want him at Tigerland? Yes he's a ex-premiership Tiger and he has taken a pretty average list at Collingwood to 2 GFs but the main criticism of him is he plays favourites and ignores (for want of a better word) these players faults. IMO he still took short-cuts in recruiting a large number of players from other clubs even though the Pies keep claiming they went for youth after 1999. As we need a coach who'll be tough on the quality of our list, do you think he would be the man if the pies give him the flick and we are looking for coach at the end of he season?

Just on that I would take Pagan in an instant.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Mick Malthouse
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004, 05:51:36 PM »
Is the Melbourne media giving him heaps?  How come Danny copped such a beating in the press and yet (well up here anyway) there was no mention on Peter Schwabb, Gary Ayres or Mick Malthouse.  Surely with Collingwood having been Grand Finalists two years running and now currently lying bottom of the ladder should serve for more scrutiny than the Tigers just showing normal behaviour?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 06:35:47 PM »
The Pie supporters were giving Mick heaps on the radio (heaven forbid they admit their players are not up to it) but not the media. Helps when your president has huge influence over the main footy station. The difference between Malthouse and Danny is that Malthouse has been coaching VFL/AFL for 20 years, two-times premiership coach with West Coast, has got the most out of the Dogs and Pies and this is the Pies first backwards year since he's been their coach. Whereas with Danny we've been going nowhere the last 3 years - something like 16 wins from the last 50 matches = 32% success rate! I'm not saying that makes it right but that's why I think Danny is copping it more than any other coach.

Peter Schwab copped a bit this week (to the point he was taken to tears by the questions) but more over the drink-driving incidents with Jacobs and Picaione than the form of the Hawks. I'm sure Ayres and the Crows are under immense scrutiny in two-team town Adelaide. Apparently the Crows have banned their players from speaking to the Adelaide Advertiser. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2004, 06:37:27 PM by mightytiges »

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2004, 10:38:07 PM »
I have always been on the opinion that if Malthouse was available the tigers should do everything to get him.

However, over the last 12 months I am not so sure. It appears to me that Collingwoods game plan is built around possession andchanging direction from one side of the ground to the other. We see our current team doing it under Danny's coaching and we pull our hair out. If having Malthouse means that we would be subjected to that then I think it is something we could do without.

That is another thing - we play zig-zagging possession footy and we are called stupid (rightly) and lacking a game plan. The Pies do it and it somehow more acceptable because it is a Malthouse coached side. Sydney are also notorious for chipping the ball around and it is only beng highlighted now because they have lost a few games.

IMO-  I don't think it matters which team it is, who they are coached by - the possession, zig-zag game plan is stupid.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2004, 12:56:50 AM »
what cracks me up is the fact they are suggesting malthouse should go!!! malthouse is welcome to Richmond anytime.

and they have a go at Richmond supporters wanting to get rid of frawley, atleast we have an excuse 5 years with 1 finals year.

There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

froars

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2004, 11:24:11 AM »
Really pee'd off listening to the Footy Show them trying to make excuses for Collingwood instead of bagging the crap out of them - like they did us - like they deserve.

WHY?

Not hard to guess - Eddie.

Ox

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2004, 04:48:56 PM »
Malthouse with Miller would be a good formula.
At any rate he's a better option than spud,obviously.

It's hard to coach a team to a win when your star forward
is shagging the captains wife..

I rekkon there is a good chance he'll end up back at Punt rd.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 09:46:35 AM by Ox »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2004, 07:22:04 PM »
Really pee'd off listening to the Footy Show them trying to make excuses for Collingwood instead of bagging the crap out of them - like they did us - like they deserve.

WHY?

Before Eddie became president the others on TFS would make fun of Collingwood losing (remember the scoreboard of Collingwood losses and Eddie chucking a footy at it). Now he's president Sam and Trevor haven't said boo about the Pies current plight on that show. Bet ya Collingnogood escape scrutiny again with all the media focus on the Hawks.

2JD

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2004, 09:31:36 AM »
Exactly the reason I wont watch The Collingwood Show. Before it became black and white, and before Sam started overdoing the sex with younguns thing, even before Hawkins and Dunstall were told to overact on their clown/grumpyman routine, it was a good show(geez, that was years ago lol). I'd take Malthouse as coach, he is one man for who near enough wouldn't be good enough, there'd be no lazy players on the team. Only thing is, can we change his black and white hair to black and yellow? lol

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2004, 05:31:12 PM »
Here's some scrutiny on the Pies.  From a Richmond supporting journo. ;D

Supporters think we need an experienced coach and would be happy to have Mick Malthouse and Noel Judkins at Richmond, but listening to Coll. supporters on radio, some of them aren't happy with Malthouse and the way their Club has recruited, especially last year.  It just goes to show that when a team's losing, no one is safe from criticism.  Not even a twice premiership coach.

What's happened to Collingwood?
10 May 2004
Paul Gough
Sportal/exclusive to afl.com.au

THINGS TO PONDER FROM ROUND SEVEN

1. What has happened to Collingwood?

After just seven rounds the beaten grand finalists of the past two seasons are already effectively out of the finals race for 2004 with just one win from seven games and with unbeaten league leaders St Kilda to come next week. Skipper Nathan Buckley has re-injured his hamstring and looks set to miss at least another three weeks and by the time he returns, a top eight place for the Pies could almost be a mathematical impossibility.

So the question is just how has it gone so wrong for the Magpies so quickly?

Well, the simple answer is the Pies’ run of injuries to their top players this season has exposed the club’s lack of depth and it is a problem partly of the Pies’ own making.

In the past two years the Magpies run to the grand final has been primarily achieved on the back of its key players such as Buckley, Chris Tarrant, Anthony Rocca, Josh Fraser, Scott Burns and Simon Prestigiacomo. But either through injury or suspension all have missed matches this season with Buckley and Tarrant only resuming from three match absences against Carlton on Saturday while Fraser, Burns and Prestigiacomo all missed the disappointing loss to the old enemy through injury and will again be sidelined next week.

What this has done has put more pressure on the Magpies’ middle crop of players and they have shown they are either unable or not good enough to handle the extra responsibility.

Much has been made, particularly by coach Michael Malthouse, that the Pies began the season with only 27 players on their list with senior experience but the question needs to be asked why was this allowed to occur?

Collingwood fans are entitled to ask why was Heath Scotland, a competent AFL player who would walk into the current Pies’ line-up, allowed to move to Carlton and why wasn’t more done to entice Nick Stevens to Collingwood after the former Port star declared the Magpies his preferred home when he announced he was leaving Alberton. Both players NOW find themselves at Carlton and the Pies find themselves light on for running midfielders.

Further highlighting the Pies’ lack of depth is that players such as Jason Cloke, Richard Cole, Tristan Walker, Shane O’Bree, Ryan Lonie, Ben Kinnear, Alan Didak and Rhyce Shaw have not improved and indeed some of them appear to have gone backwards while of the many new boys Malthouse has introduced this season only Dane Swan appears capable of handling league football at present. And it doesn’t help when Shane Wakelin and Paul Licuria are also well below their best.

And as footy fans ponder the swift demise of Collingwood in 2004, the debate rages over whether the Magpies overachieved in 2002 and 2003 or are underachieving at present.

The answer probably lies somewhere in the middle.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=comments&spg=display&articleid=147959
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 11:39:06 AM by Tiger Spirit »
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2004, 11:35:39 AM »

WHY?

The double standards on that circus are a joke.
Even Sam and the panellists are too fearful of
sledging the fagpies in fear of 9 chins
Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went