Author Topic: Cleve Hughes [merged]  (Read 14051 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Cleve Hughes [merged]
« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2008, 06:20:12 PM »
Summary

* Great to get an away win.

* Good to get a game (first since R2) and carry on from his VFL form. Confidence up. Started the game pretty well.

* Start of year - reasonable preseason. He was offered a spot in defence and trained in defence but he told the coaches he prefers playing forward.

* Being dropped back to the Coburg ressies was a low point in his career but he knew what he had to do over summer and now is happy.

* Told not to worry about playing in the VFL ressies. Told he would be playing round 1 and that's what happened. Found his feet.

* Main issue - getting the confidence up to throw the body around. 95kgs now. Was 91-92 kgs at the start of the year. Drafted at 84kg.

* Last quarter was a stressful time. As a forward he was watching the tempo footy evolve which was nervewracking. In that situation important for the forwards to block and not run around wasting energy before the ball gets there.

* Parents got to watch him play over there being from Norwood. Enjoys the space at Footy Park. Barracked for Norwood as a kid.

* Massive week for the club. Getting as many supporters there would be great.

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Cleve Hughes - rising star award?
« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2008, 06:55:29 PM »
They only reward consistency when there hasn't been a standout performance
Dean Polo won a nomination for his debut game, Schulz won one for a 6 goal haul
There hasn't really been a standout performance this year in a single game

You are going to try and point me to 4 and 2 years ago respectively to give some kind of substance to your post.  ???

I believe it's the other way, they only reward a standout of there's no consistant performer.  That may not have been so in the past but now it is.

THIS YEAR, they are rewarding consistency.

Note Cotchin.  Killed Adelaide but the Kruuuuuez got it as he'd had a good 3 weeks.  Comes out the next weekend, only has 14 but still gets nominated despite Morton and Reimers playing better games and getting 20+ possessions.

Nathan Brown got it for a less than inspiring game vs the Eagles when Urquhart and Morton played better games clearly.  But he got a collective one for overall good performance since round 1.

Garrick Ibbotson got it when Brad Ebert had an absolute blinder but I'd say Garricks two 20-odd possession games before that got him nominated ahead of Ebert.

Kurt Tippet got nominated with 7 possessions and 1 goal against his name.  :rollin  Robbie Gray had 20 possessions and 2 goals.

I think I've made my point.

Your point will get blown out of the water when Hughes gets the nomination

Cotchin played a good game against Adelaide, but we were smashed and 25 touches isn't a stand out, Kreuzer had been consistent and was a match winner.
Brad Ebert did have a very good match against Adelaide and was perhaps unlucky, but Ibbotson missed out against Geelong for a 27 disposal game and was overdue for his nomination
As for Gray, 20 disposal match is not a standout, not by a long shot. There's a difference between having the best match in the round of those eligible and having a standout game.

Looks to me you're not agreeing with me but agreeing in context anyway.

And you must not have seen the Gray's game that week.  He was very very good, more than the stats show.

I guess we will see but it wont change my view.  Consistency is the main basis and Morton, Reimers or Urquhart will be very unlucky considering the precedent the panel has set with nominations this year.

I really hope he does but I'm not as confident about it.

i think none of us are all that confident about it..tho..everyone is hopeful....
i tend to agree with some others that if there's a standout performance that led to a victory..they award the nomination....if not...then...look for consistency.....regarding the kreuzer/cotchin nominations....cotchin has actually been much more consistently impressive in the weeks leading up to the adelaide match...certainly more so than kreuzer..but kreuzer put in a match winning performance so they gave it to him........sure cotchin's 25 possession game against crows was outstanding too..but came when we were blown away...

anyways.....good luck cleve....hope u get it..

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #107 on: June 24, 2008, 01:29:52 AM »
Lets hope Saturday was a watershed game in a fledgling AFL career that propells Cleve to more consistent and rewarding senior footy. Here's to a second rising star nomination for the club in the last two weeks  :bow :clapping :cheers  :gotigers

Cotchin is a class act so his nomination was a matter of when not if, however should Cleve get the nod it perhaps will be a reward of persistence and application and faith in judgement by those at the club. Our youth policy may be starting to reap its own rewards.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #108 on: June 24, 2008, 10:50:41 AM »
They only reward consistency when there hasn't been a standout performance
Dean Polo won a nomination for his debut game, Schulz won one for a 6 goal haul
There hasn't really been a standout performance this year in a single game

You are going to try and point me to 4 and 2 years ago respectively to give some kind of substance to your post.  ???

I believe it's the other way, they only reward a standout of there's no consistant performer.  That may not have been so in the past but now it is.

THIS YEAR, they are rewarding consistency.

Note Cotchin.  Killed Adelaide but the Kruuuuuez got it as he'd had a good 3 weeks.  Comes out the next weekend, only has 14 but still gets nominated despite Morton and Reimers playing better games and getting 20+ possessions.

Nathan Brown got it for a less than inspiring game vs the Eagles when Urquhart and Morton played better games clearly.  But he got a collective one for overall good performance since round 1.

Garrick Ibbotson got it when Brad Ebert had an absolute blinder but I'd say Garricks two 20-odd possession games before that got him nominated ahead of Ebert.

Kurt Tippet got nominated with 7 possessions and 1 goal against his name.  :rollin  Robbie Gray had 20 possessions and 2 goals.

I think I've made my point.

Your point will get blown out of the water when Hughes gets the nomination

HAWTHORN has received some good news following its second loss for the year, with young forward Jarryd Morton winning the NAB AFL Rising Star nomination for round 13.

:sleep
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #109 on: June 24, 2008, 02:26:59 PM »
Bad luck to Cleve. Back it up and you'll be nominated for sure next week  :thumbsup.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #110 on: June 24, 2008, 02:42:11 PM »
Two or three weeks of good form should get him across the line....and us as a team also :)

Stripes

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #111 on: June 24, 2008, 07:47:44 PM »
Not wanting to start an argument but interesting to look at Kruezer's performance in the rounds leading up to his 'domination' in getting a nomination with 9 disposals and 3 last qtr goals v Port:

M        D         HO
West Coast   3    6      10   
Brisbane Lions    4    9       13           
Fremantle    2     7        6   
Geelong             2     6         4

No goals.

Hardly a case for an award whichever way you look at it.        

Moi

« Reply #112 on: June 24, 2008, 08:27:37 PM »
Not wanting to start an argument but interesting to look at Kruezer's performance in the rounds leading up to his 'domination' in getting a nomination with 9 disposals and 3 last qtr goals v Port:

M        D         HO

No goals.

Robert Walls must be on the panel  ::)

Online the wasp

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2008, 10:01:08 PM »
hughes found a spot in the afl team of the week, on the interchange :clapping

no sign of j. morton there...

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2008, 10:12:41 PM »
Good stuff Cleve  :clapping.

M        D         HO

No goals.

Robert Walls must be on the panel  ::)
They said Kreuzer was on the verge of being dropped back to the Bullants before that Port game.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2008, 03:47:09 AM »
Cleve will probably miss out again but I was pleased he was able to carry on from last week at least for a half presenting well and kicking 3. Our midfield getting smashed out fo the centre made it difficult for our forwards after half-time. We also went back to old habits of being too Richo conscious in the 3rd. I think we only went to Cleve once and Richo 5 times whereas it was the other way around in the 2nd quarter.

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #116 on: June 29, 2008, 08:14:16 AM »
Cleve will probably miss out again but I was pleased he was able to carry on from last week at least for a half presenting well and kicking 3. Our midfield getting smashed out fo the centre made it difficult for our forwards after half-time. We also went back to old habits of being too Richo conscious in the 3rd. I think we only went to Cleve once and Richo 5 times whereas it was the other way around in the 2nd quarter.
That coaching move was the beginning of the end for the tigers yesterday

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2008, 11:13:40 AM »
Richo had to be put up forward because he was on one leg, he probably shouldn't have played
It was the move of Ratten's to put Jamison on Cleve after he tore up O'Helpless that shut Cleve down

Offline jezza

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #118 on: June 29, 2008, 11:39:02 AM »
True, Jamison spoiled very well.

Cleve did well marking when out on the lead, but we put too many kicks in on top of his head and he couldn't do what Fev was doing at the other end.

I would have been more happy with Schulz in instead of King, seeing Reiwoldt at full back wasn't a great sign, much rather keep the Morton/Hughes/Reiwoldt/Brown forward line together than have to shuffle them around like that.

Still, happy with how Hughes is coming along.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Reborn Tiger shuns his wicket ways (The Australian)
« Reply #119 on: June 29, 2008, 12:24:42 PM »
Reborn Tiger shuns his wicket ways
Malcolm Conn | The Australian | June 28, 2008

IN the space of a year Cleve Hughes found that his shape and his sport changed dramatically.

The young Richmond forward began Year 10 as a wingman and self-confessed "slow" fast bowler.

A year later and Hughes was a different human. A spectacular 30cm growth spurt, a foot in the old language, had seen him morph into a key forward and "fast" fast bowler.

"The extra height really helped my bowling," Hughes said this week. "I went from slow to fast in one year."

For most of his teenage years cricket was his first love. He played in the under-17 carnival for South Australia and showed considerable promise, bowling with good "heat", as Kensington Cricket Club coach John Palmer recalled.

"He certainly hurried up batters his own age at the carnival and he would have hurried up a few A-grade batters, too, but unfortunately we couldn't keep him," Palmer said.

Twelve months on and life had changed dramatically again. Hughes was playing centre half-forward for South Australia and had an outstanding under-18 carnival in 2005 to make the All Australian under-aged team.

"That year footy snuck up on me pretty quickly," Hughes recalled. "I'd never previously made any sort of state squad for footy. I was a keen cricketer."

Hughes is in good company at Richmond. Brett Deledio, the 2004 first draft choice, was offered a place in the Victorian cricket squad by then coach David Hookes before choosing football.

And across the country in Perth, Shannon Hurn, like Hughes a native South Australian who also found himself in the 2005 draft, was taken as West Coast's first choice, 13 overall, after rejecting a place in the Australian under-19 team.

But while Deledio and Hurn arrived as readymade footballers, Hughes found himself out of his depth. Football had come with a late rush and he was neither physically nor mentally prepared to play in key positions.

Hughes was drafted by Richmond as its second round choice, 24th overall, and coach Terry Wallace was pleasantly surprised that Hughes had still been available by that stage given the impression he had made at the under-18 championships.

According to Wallace, there were two schools of thought among recruiters from the clubs.

"Some were not sure he was a competitive enough beast and wondered if he was too much of a mark and kick player. They thought he was too much of a risk," Wallace said.

"We thought he had a fantastic build for a key position player of the future. He finishes well and he's a tremendous athlete.

"We felt that if we could get him to mature physically and emotionally he would be a special player."

Until last Saturday the sceptics held sway. After playing the opening two games and managing just one goal, he was dropped and disappeared off the radar.

In his third year of AFL, Hughes had played 12 games for 12 goals.

But in Adelaide last weekend, in a game Richmond had to win to maintain any credibility as an improving side, Hughes imposed himself on Port Adelaide like he was a star, not a seconds player.

Charging at the ball, leaping and marking strongly, he kicked six goals to set up an ultimately tight victory, which makes him feel vastly different going into today's much hyped centenary match against Carlton at the MCG.

"Obviously it gives you a lot of confidence to know that you can make the grade," Hughes said. "Until your breakout game, you have a different mindset. You wonder if you can play at that level."

That Hughes had the space and increasing confidence to dominate after such a long stint in the VFL had much to do with the remaking of the Tigers.

Matthew Richardson's dramatic evolution from forward to wingman has invigorated the veteran and the Tigers, and given opportunities when there were none previously.

Wallace claimed the move of Richardson to the wing had come at least partly from frustration.

"People kept saying we had no key forwards for the future," Wallace said.

"I believed we did."

So the coach gathered together generation next in front of goal, Graham Polak, Jay Schulz, Jack Riewoldt and Hughes, promising that each would get their opportunity at some stage.

"I said to the four of them that Matthew was comfortable moving up the ground so long as someone was willing to take up the slack.

"Cleve has taken one step to doing that but it is only one."

Hughes misses cricket but doubts that he'll ever bowl again.

"I'm still pretty keen. I keep in touch with a few of the guys from the (under-17) program."

But his focus is building a strength of body and mind to survive and thrive in the AFL.

"When I first arrived the fitness component, the running and the weights, came as a real shock," he said. "My fitness was well down. I wasn't able to get in a position to get the ball enough, to get to enough contests.

"I've put on 11kg since I was drafted and with three pre-seasons behind me, I feel like I can make an impression."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23933946-5012432,00.html