Author Topic: Cleve Hughes [merged]  (Read 14055 times)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Cleve Hughes - rising star award?
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2008, 02:48:35 PM »
lock it in.

rising star coming up.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2008, 04:22:04 PM »
THere is a guy called Jarryd Morton who has been more than handy for three weeks. 

I think Clever might just miss out because of him.

Great performance though.  :thumbsup
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline jezza

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2008, 05:51:45 PM »
Reimers deserves it if he hasn't had one, has been consistently good.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2008, 07:36:09 PM »
Reimers deserves it if he hasn't had one, has been consistently good.

Good one as well.

And Urquart (sic?) from the Roos has been good for at least 3 weeks.

They've been rewarding consistency.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2008, 09:45:36 PM »
They only reward consistency when there hasn't been a standout performance
Dean Polo won a nomination for his debut game, Schulz won one for a 6 goal haul
There hasn't really been a standout performance this year in a single game

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2008, 09:50:19 PM »
As infamy says they usual award consistency if there's no standout performance for the weekend. Mitch's brother had 33 possies but the Hawks despite 400 team disposals got done like a dinner. Reimers was good today although he's a dodgy kick, and Monfries was the standout in the Bombers win. Kicking 6 goals in your 13th game and in hostile territory sounds more impress even if it is bias.

Agree with smokey too that Cleve going back to Coburg has done wonders to fix up his goalkicking. Perhaps Cleve is slowly gaining the confidence in himself to believe he belongs out there.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2008, 01:20:50 AM »
For those who got a chance to watch the Port game -

Did Hughes play out of the square in a FF role?

richmondrules

« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2008, 08:07:56 AM »
Agree with smokey too that Cleve going back to Coburg has done wonders to fix up his goalkicking. Perhaps Cleve is slowly gaining the confidence in himself to believe he belongs out there.

I didn't remember him being so big. Really impressed with what I saw on the weekend. I have been a critic of Hughes and despaired his softness at times. I was very pleased to see him win the contested mark against Port. He was also clobbered a few times and he didn't seem timid at all.

Perhaps his perceived softness is just a matter of confidence. Now he needs to back up his performance on the weekend with another 2 or 3 goals against Carlton (another 6 would be nice but no pressure Cleve).

Good on you Cleve  :clapping You could turn into on of my favourites yet.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2008, 09:11:09 AM »

You are going to try and point me to 4 and 2 years ago respectively to give some kind of substance to your post.  ???

I believe it's the other way, they only reward a standout of there's no consistant performer.  That may not have been so in the past but now it is.

THIS YEAR, they are rewarding consistency.

Note Cotchin.  Killed Adelaide but the Kruuuuuez got it as he'd had a good 3 weeks.  Comes out the next weekend, only has 14 but still gets nominated despite Morton and Reimers playing better games and getting 20+ possessions.

Nathan Brown got it for a less than inspiring game vs the Eagles when Urquhart and Morton played better games clearly.  But he got a collective one for overall good performance since round 1.

Garrick Ibbotson got it when Brad Ebert had an absolute blinder but I'd say Garricks two 20-odd possession games before that got him nominated ahead of Ebert.

Kurt Tippet got nominated with 7 possessions and 1 goal against his name.  :rollin  Robbie Gray had 20 possessions and 2 goals.

I think I've made my point.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2008, 12:36:46 PM »
should win Round 13 nomination.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2008, 01:10:53 PM »

You are going to try and point me to 4 and 2 years ago respectively to give some kind of substance to your post.  ???

I believe it's the other way, they only reward a standout of there's no consistant performer.  That may not have been so in the past but now it is.

Note Cotchin.  Killed Adelaide but the Kruuuuuez got it as he'd had a good 3 weeks.  Comes out the next weekend, only has 14 but still gets nominated despite Morton and Reimers playing better games and getting 20+ possessions.

Nathan Brown got it for a less than inspiring game vs the Eagles when Urquhart and Morton played better games clearly.  But he got a collective one for overall good performance since round 1.

Garrick Ibbotson got it when Brad Ebert had an absolute blinder but I'd say Garricks two 20-odd possession games before that got him nominated ahead of Ebert.

Kurt Tippet got nominated with 7 possessions and 1 goal against his name.  :rollin  Robbie Gray had 20 possessions and 2 goals.

Your point will get blown out of the water when Hughes gets the nomination

Cotchin played a good game against Adelaide, but we were smashed and 25 touches isn't a stand out, Kreuzer had been consistent and was a match winner.
Brad Ebert did have a very good match against Adelaide and was perhaps unlucky, but Ibbotson missed out against Geelong for a 27 disposal game and was overdue for his nomination
As for Gray, 20 disposal match is not a standout, not by a long shot. There's a difference between having the best match in the round of those eligible and having a standout game.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2008, 01:32:28 PM »

Your point will get blown out of the water when Hughes gets the nomination

Cotchin played a good game against Adelaide, but we were smashed and 25 touches isn't a stand out, Kreuzer had been consistent and was a match winner.
Brad Ebert did have a very good match against Adelaide and was perhaps unlucky, but Ibbotson missed out against Geelong for a 27 disposal game and was overdue for his nomination
As for Gray, 20 disposal match is not a standout, not by a long shot. There's a difference between having the best match in the round of those eligible and having a standout game.

Looks to me you're not agreeing with me but agreeing in context anyway.

And you must not have seen the Gray's game that week.  He was very very good, more than the stats show.

I guess we will see but it wont change my view.  Consistency is the main basis and Morton, Reimers or Urquhart will be very unlucky considering the precedent the panel has set with nominations this year.

I really hope he does but I'm not as confident about it.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2008, 04:04:09 PM »
should win Round 13 nomination.

Mark Doran mentioned Cleve Hughes' name. I think it was for what's on his show tomorrow??

Cleve might have grabbed a nomination.

EDIT: He's coming up today with Ox and Frances.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 05:12:04 PM by wayne »
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Cleve Hughes [merged]
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2008, 05:46:58 PM »
On sometime between now and 7pm.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 06:21:33 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed