Author Topic: Cleve Hughes [merged]  (Read 14056 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Cleve Hughes [merged]
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2008, 02:59:48 AM »
Interesting revisiting this thread where the common theme was how good a kick for goal Cleve was and yet 12 months later he's shanking and mistiming every kick for goal and he no longer has the natural action he arrived at Punt Rd with. As WP pointed out yesterday he's getting underneath his kicks as well. Even the goal he kicked at the City end yesterday was a shocking kick.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2008, 09:35:52 AM »
Riewoldt in Hughes out

Tigermonk

« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2008, 11:41:05 AM »
Hughes needs to be put at full forward & left there to gain some confidence

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2008, 02:21:39 PM »

If he's going to be a FF he'd want to fix that kicking action. What the hell happened to it? :-[
Fair enough to perhaps give him one more game.

Tigermonk

« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2008, 02:30:41 PM »
mate l seen this lad kick booming 60 metre kicks deadeye dick
since comming to punt road his kicking skills are failing him as are the other players
its simply bad coaching & development down there in the term of assistant coaches
Jade Rawlings how the hell can he be a forward coach he was one of the worst kicks at Hawthorn  :rollin
l cant say Hughes will hold his place, l think Rewoldt has taken it & Morton will take Pettifers spot

Offline wayne again

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2008, 04:31:40 PM »
That is a very good question indeed.

As most on here would realize I am a great exponent of Richo. I hate to say it and it wont happen but would Richo leaving as I said to mate at the weekend be for the betterment of the club and it's future.

The guy is a workhorse and just wants to do too much, maybe some time on the pine in his twilight years would be best for all.

Opening up options and letting the future figure out how to play together with and without him.

100 % right  :clapping :clapping Pefectly said. Got to love Richo but he goal kicking is shocking. What is the point of all that hard work to give it to Richo to kick it out on the full or a point it has to stop.  On top of that the new group of players need to be the ones to be given every chances to play in the forward line. Richo demands the ball demands space and everybody else will be the second option. He can win games maybe but at the end of the season we are not winning enough. Terry Wallet could make a huge decision here will he or won't he.Richo out morton or Rewolt in.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2008, 04:36:58 PM »
mate l seen this lad kick booming 60 metre kicks deadeye dick
since comming to punt road his kicking skills are failing him as are the other players
its simply bad coaching & development down there in the term of assistant coaches
Jade Rawlings how the hell can he be a forward coach he was one of the worst kicks at Hawthorn  :rollin
l cant say Hughes will hold his place, l think Rewoldt has taken it & Morton will take Pettifers spot

this wont happen and if it does it will be a miracle.
wallace needs to show he means business and drop one of petts or browny. im serious these 2 together are useless. so slow!!
i dont want to hear about injuries anymore, thats in the past. if you step out on the field you are fit!

hughes should no way be dropped. how the hell can someone learn if there in one week out the next.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2008, 05:23:25 PM »
I thought to myself when he kicked that goal late in the game-'at last he's got the monkey off his back'

Tigermonk

« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2008, 06:36:13 PM »
l reckon petticoat should be dropped his played maybe 5 top games in his whole career  :lol

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2008, 06:58:03 PM »
This was my post from another thread on the Cleve vs Jack Argument.

I rate Cleve higher than Jack. In terms of their games played at AFL level Cleve has more shots on goal per game than what Jack does. Cleve has more courage also but needs to lift his work rate. Jack to me seems to slow of the mark finds it difficult to get into space and tends to play from behind alot. Also Cleves decision making also seems to be more sound than Jack's at this stage of their careers. We can't be reactive and drop Cleve merely because Jack kicked 6 this week for the Burgers. Would rather see Jack kick 20 goals in the next 4 weeks at Coburg and if Cleve's form warrants him being dropped then so be it. We can't keep alternating these two every few weeks we need to give them significant game time at this level 5-7 games to help them find their niche. Dropping them then promoting them then dropping them again hinders both player and club and hurts the rest of the team who have become used to one of these boys playing long term with them. Play one or both Terry but do it for a while and not as a reactionary solution to what happens with Richmond and Coburg on a week to week basis.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2008, 07:01:28 PM »
l reckon petticoat should be dropped his played maybe 5 top games in his whole career  :lol

yep agreed. so soft and selfish.

back to coburg 4 u pal
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2008, 04:32:37 PM »

If he's going to be a FF he'd want to fix that kicking action. What the hell happened to it? :-[
Fair enough to perhaps give him one more game.
No problem with him given more time at FF but if he is he needs to kick goals. Richo is old and won't change his kicking technique or routine but Cleve is still young to get it right which it was already when he first arrived  :-\. Richo is also 7.5 so far this year compared to Cleve's 1.4.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2008, 07:06:13 PM »
I liked the way moved and had he kicked straight we would talking about how good he played, that`s the nature of AFL, mistakes are scrutinised. I believe he didn`t look out of place and seemed a hell of a lot more confident in where to get to if you want the pill, also he has bulked a little. Jack has him when it comed to pack marks but Cleve is a mile in front in mental and physical condition. Give him at least 6 weeks.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2008, 08:23:47 PM »
I liked the way moved and had he kicked straight we would talking about how good he played, that`s the nature of AFL, mistakes are scrutinised. I believe he didn`t look out of place and seemed a hell of a lot more confident in where to get to if you want the pill, also he has bulked a little. Jack has him when it comed to pack marks but Cleve is a mile in front in mental and physical condition. Give him at least 6 weeks.

Exactly my thoughts

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2008, 08:47:59 PM »

I am not sure what to think when it comes to Cleave the Steamer.  When has has dominated at reserves level? He looks like a guy who gives it a real shot then when that doesn't work just stops.  Gut feel, he needs to look up the word "persistence" and "determination" and start hanging in there.

He is a much better kick for goal than 1 goal 4. He is only 20, give him another couple of games but make it clear he needs to be at least doubling his output to stay in the side. 

Shultzy :thumbsup but  :shh because we need that effort for the next 20 weeks.  finally after 6 years! Maybe Cleve will take another couple years to mature.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”