Author Topic: Cleve Hughes [merged]  (Read 14057 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Cleve Hughes [merged]
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2007, 03:49:18 AM »
At Coburg against Werribee he teamed well with Jack up forward as the tall targets. Can he fit into a Richmond forward line with Schulz and Richo and possibly Polak at times and not get lost, swamped or ignored as a 3rd/4th target?

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2007, 04:16:12 AM »
That is a very good question indeed.

As most on here would realize I am a great exponent of Richo. I hate to say it and it wont happen but would Richo leaving as I said to mate at the weekend be for the betterment of the club and it's future.

The guy is a workhorse and just wants to do too much, maybe some time on the pine in his twilight years would be best for all.

Opening up options and letting the future figure out how to play together with and without him.

Gordon Bennett

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2007, 11:59:20 AM »
If the predicted rain is heavy enough, they may end up leaving out Hughes at the last minute and bringing in someone more suitable to the wet conditions.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2007, 02:19:55 PM »
Good lead, good mark, great kick.  Worth persisting with.

Needs to bulk up and toughen up.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2007, 02:48:37 PM »
Clever was a dead eye dick today at training today. Not one missed set shot. Wallace may play Cleve and Richo across HF with Sarge in the goal square.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2007, 07:02:58 PM »
Didn't do much apart from his 3 goals but he's our most reliable goalkicker and he had impact which is all you can ask for from young players.

Good coaching by Wallace to keep Cleve on the ground after he made up for his earlier mistake with an important goal.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ramps

« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2007, 07:04:51 PM »
3 goals from a young kid from CHF was a very good effort. He has the attributes to be a very good player going forward.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2007, 07:23:40 PM »
3 goals from a young kid from CHF was a very good effort. He has the attributes to be a very good player going forward.

had 14 or so touches and won contested footy against the best defence along with adelaide in the afl

good stuff and he cab kick goals off 2 steps from 60 out, richo cant do that!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2007, 05:17:32 AM »
Hughes gives away round ball for Sherrin
06 May 2007   Sunday Herald Sun
Ken Piesse

INSTEAD of lining up for Richmond today, Cleve Hughes could easily be a part of South Australia's cricket squad honing his fast bowling skills for a tilt at the big time.

The 20-year-old loves cricket almost as much as football and spent hours with housemate Luke McGuane watching Australia's World Cup triumph, taking particular interest in Shaun Tait, from nearby Nairne in the Adelaide Hills.

So rapid was his advance as a teenager from Lobethal that he was named among South Australia's elite under-17 players and made an Australian development squad.

"Cricket and footy were always my main ambitions," Hughes said.

"But, like so many, I've had to choose. A few (football) clubs were talking to me. I felt there was more of an opportunity to get paid as a professional sportsman.

"There aren't as many opportunities in cricket. To get paid you have to play at least for the Redbacks or be in their squad. There's no money at club level.

"My parents let me make up my own mind. And I'm happy with my choice so far anyway!"

In his mid-teens he took 7-16 for Kensington under-16s in a District Reds game and was considered capable of higher honours.

"I played for the South Australian under-17s. Marc Murphy (from Victoria) was also in that carnival. He, too, has gone with footy," Hughes said.

Last summer was the first he didn't play cricket competitively, instead concentrating on what he hopes will be a long-term career at Punt Road.

Taken with pick 24 in the 2005 draft, Hughes played three games last year, quite an achievement for a key position player still short of the muscle and maturity coach Terry Wallace believes can make him a 10-year player at Tigerland.

Asked to name the youngsters he believes have the ability to make a Grand Final side, Wallace put Hughes in his top three or four, saying his athleticism and football smarts could carry him a long way.

Richmond assistant coach Jade Rawlings is another who says the kid has what it takes to mature into a genuine frontliner.

Rawlings takes regular one-on-one marking sessions with Hughes and says his improvement in a few months has been massive.

At 192cm, Hughes has impressive height and only needs to add to his frame to become a Richmond regular.

Last week in his first senior game for the year, he had some fine moments against West Coast, kicking three goals among his 12 possessions.

"It was good to get a few kicks and take my opportunity," he said.

"It was a pity we couldn't hold our good early form. That's been our problem, playing out the whole game. We looked good and then shut up shop in a few areas.

"It all seemed to change a bit when they started to get a few goals back.

"We fell back to a kick-to-kick-type game rather than doing it all at a nice fast pace.

"We're working hard and we've been close. Hopefully a win isn't too far away.

"Hopefully we can use our pace all match and expose them (Geelong) with their lack of mobility.

"That's where we think they're gettable. But we have to put four quarters together which is something we haven't done so far."

With a 0-5 record leading into today's Telstra Dome clash, Richmond is aware it is the underdog, but coach Wallace insists Richmond's A game is better than many and that Hughes and others are as promising as many of the Cats tyros, including Tom Hawkins.

Having added almost 8kg to his frame over summer, Hughes was impressive for Coburg in the VFL and carried his good form into the match against West Coast.

"I'd been an emergency in Round 3, so it was good to get a game," he said.

"It was in Round 5, too, last year that I played my first game, against Carlton. It was a a Friday night game and we got up by nine or 10 points so it was pretty sweet.

"I started on the ground but it was so fast it was a bit of a shock. I initially wondered what I'd got myself into!"

He played rounds 5, 6 and 7 before returning to Coburg and playing in the 2006 VFL finals series.

During pre-season Wallace experimented with him in key defensive roles before returning him to the forward line for the start of the new VFL season.

Hughes said the Tigers had a young group but once they started winning, they could get on a roll.

"Hopefully we can all keep improving together, and if we do, we're going to be a reasonable side for a long period of time," he said.

Asked his immediate goals, he said he would like to take a hanger to rival McGuane's beauty last weekend and he'd also like to get more game experience to make him one of the first chosen.

"I want to get as many games at the level as I can," he said.

"Hopefully as I get more experience and my body keeps developing I can then really see what I need to do."

He said he was a confidence player, especially with his marking but that the duelling with Rawlings was lifting his confidence and improving his technique to allow him to stay in more contests.

"I've always relied on my marks. I want to be able to get more balls and get some goals or goal-assists, too, at ground level."

As a kid Hughes was a Crows and Tony Modra supporter and said he'd love to sample some of the success of his idol.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21676231%255E19742,00.html

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2007, 01:22:26 PM »
Good lead, good mark, great kick.  Worth persisting with.

Needs to bulk up and toughen up.

Well said, the one thing that stood out for me last week was when on occasion he went for chest marks rather than sticking his hands up to mark it in his mitts

Ramps

« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2007, 09:44:57 PM »
Cleve was one of only 2 players today who deserve to get paid ... the other was foley.

Bulluss

« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2007, 09:49:53 PM »
He certainly has a future.

Seems to have a good football brain and is a good kick for goal.

The one he missed in the second was a shocker but he didnt kick through it.

Needs to play the rest of the season in the seniors.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2007, 11:41:28 PM »
let him play up forward ! ...

so keep him there forever !

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2007, 03:03:18 PM »
How did we rate Clever's year?

Hughes played 7 games in 2007 after 3 in his debut year. Averaged 7.6 disposals and 3.4 marks per game. He kicked 8 goals for the season.

http://www.finalsiren.com/PlayerStats.asp?PlayerID=1630&SeasonID=ALL

Brian Royal's RFC player review

Cleve Hughes

I thought it was a disappointing year for Cleve, particularly as it was his third year with the club. He’s always thereabouts, kicked one or two goals in most games he played but he probably just didn’t put himself in enough situations to win the footy. I’d suggest, as a kid, having another pre season under his belt would help him enormously in the future. He needs to start believing he belongs at this level and I don’t think he does at this stage. Once he starts to do that he’ll become a better player. 

http://richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=52313

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2007, 03:21:34 PM »
Brian Royal's RFC player review

Cleve Hughes

I thought it was a disappointing year for Cleve, particularly as it was his third year with the club. He’s always thereabouts, kicked one or two goals in most games he played but he probably just didn’t put himself in enough situations to win the footy. I’d suggest, as a kid, having another pre season under his belt would help him enormously in the future. He needs to start believing he belongs at this level and I don’t think he does at this stage. Once he starts to do that he’ll become a better player. 

http://richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=52313

What he said