Author Topic: VFL R3: Richmond vs Frankston --- Sat. Apr 23 @ Frankston Oval  (Read 26232 times)

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: VFL R3: Richmond vs Frankston --- Sat. Apr 23 @ Frankston Oval
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2016, 05:28:17 PM »
Who saw that commin eh ??

na not me. Thought they would smash franga by 150. Big surprise boss. Call in the illumunati to investigate.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2016, 05:39:50 PM »
Thanks Loui for the effort
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Ruanaidh

« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2016, 06:29:14 PM »
Dermie once said that the sides he played for knew that when they applied physical pressure to Richmond they would always crack. Since 1980 this has been the case.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2016, 06:38:03 PM »
Thanks Loui for the effort

Yes agree thanks. More effort than the team!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2016, 06:49:22 PM »
I went and had a look today too.
One thing is for sure, it doesn't matter who coaches this side they have no hope. Same stupid set ups and same stupid game plan.
The most disturbing thing about today was realizing we have absolutely no AFL listed genuine mids coming through that played today.
Too many flankers, wingmen and small forwards.
Our drafting has been putrid.

We couldn't win a centre clearance in either grade at the minute. And we cannot get the footy out of our backline, which makes winning games extremely difficult.

Setting up a small as a lose man in our backline doesn't work. We need guys that can influence the contest in the air as well as take intercept marks.

Also like in our AFL side we set up our forwardline at least one player short and no one isolated. Add that to no centre clearances and no quick rebound from our backline and it makes it almost impossible for us to kick a winning score.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2016, 07:19:54 PM »
Thanks, any positives at all? Even small ones will do .

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2016, 07:26:52 PM »
Peter Jackson VFL 2016

Frankston   1.1  5.5  9.8  14.15 (99)
Richmond   6.0  9.4  10.7  13.8 (86)

GOALS:
Frankston: Gardiner 4 Wilson 3 Wood 3 McInnes  Irving  Cavarra  McCartney
Richmond : Chol 4 Scott 3 Butler  Conca  McBean  Soldo  Griffiths  Couch

BEST:
Frankston: Sikora Cavarra Wood McCartney McInnes Kempster
Richmond : Marcon Chol Scott Castagna Griffiths Moore

https://reg.sportingpulse.com/olr_v5/rpt_progressive.cgi?aID=4138&pg=1&a=MR

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2016, 07:28:28 PM »
Dermie once said that the sides he played for knew that when they applied physical pressure to Richmond they would always crack. Since 1980 this has been the case.

And this is exactly what happened!

We dominated the first quarter mainly because the lack of pressure Frankston put on.
The second quarter was the exact opposite! Frankston came out and hit us hard, they were hard at the man and at the ball and because of that we just went to water. It was 100% the one thing that changed the game completely!

I also agree with what Big Tone wrote above, we just don't have any midfield depth.
In the first quarter Luke Conca was our stand out mid playing along side Moore.
At the start of the second quarter Marcon started center with Moore as well and it was his turn to shine.
After that though it all went pear shaped, Marcon copped a hard tag and couldn't shake it for the rest of the game, Conca wasn't sighted after after the first quarter and more was just plain awful all game.
Going into the last quarter we lined up with Soldo, Moore and Mellington and we just got smashed!
Soldo certainly went better than I thought, his ruck work is ok but he's mobile and can take a contested mark which are the areas I thought may be his biggest weakness.

As far as the Senior listed players go the stand out for me was Chol, should get BOG for mine.
Not only did he kick 4 goals he was a tackling machine and it just seemed like things happened when he was involved. He got up high for two huge marks that he just dropped, roved the pack 30 out from goal and snapped for a dubious touched on the line behind and probably his best passage of play was when he went to kick it forward off the half back line to have is kick smothered off the boot, somehow the ball embed back up in his arms and he took off full pace and gave off the handball and received it back again at full pace where he handed it off again. That was 4 possessions for about 50 meters gained.
The only knock I have is you could clearly see his fitness go downhill from about the 20 minute mark of the 3rd quarter. He had gave his all to that point but was pretty much rendered useless after that.

Another player of note were Griffiths, although I wouldn't say he had a ripper game it was good to see him crashing packs and taking some really good contested marks, his ruck work was also very good.
Seemed to be full of confidence today, I just wish he could show the same intent in the big league.

To be honest I didn't really notice anyone one else, Butler, Castanga and Sort all showed glimpses throughout the game but all three just kept drifting in and out, nothing more.

Actually I nearly forgot, Todd Elton was great down back, again taking some good contested marks but holding his man very well. IMO he needs to thrown into the AFL, he has size and pace and would have to be better tha Chaplin ATM.

It's all still a bit blurry, if I can think of Anthony else I'll add it later.

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2016, 07:30:21 PM »

Chol, Griffiths, Soldo to some extent and Elton IMO👍🏼

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2016, 07:31:37 PM »
McRae kept saying the Richmond way, well gues what it doesn't work.

Actually the Richmond way did work an worked quite well.

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2016, 07:35:06 PM »
That's the other thing I was going to mention, I've read frequently how our top up players are just not up to it and today I really understood what that meant. I've now seen it with my own eyes and seriously it's like playing 3 or 4 players short!
I honestly didn't think any of the AFL listed players had a terrible game (maybe McBean after Quarter time) but the top up players stink it up bad.
Again it's the lack of mids or quality mids that's killing us.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2016, 07:37:30 PM »
Yer, anyone that thinks McBean cannot take a contested mark is wrong.. I think he took at least 6 or 7 contested marks.

McBean, Lennon and even Griff look like they are a level above the others. They just go missing for too long at this level of footy

Beers were cold and sausages were hot.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2016, 07:49:28 PM »
A disappointing result today but its great to watch local footy. Firstly, Frankston have a team of very mature bodies who after the first quarter smashed us in contested possession and got their best players into the game. They have some good players just quietly :shh

Lennon - Played the first half only and was used as a high HF mostly. I wouldn't say he set the world on fire but provided a hit up target and used the ball well when he had it. Defensively looked fine but wasn't involved in the game like he should be. Needs to become our Tom Lynch but we did miss him in the second half as his absence meant the 23rd player spend more time on the ground and was found wanting. 4 out of 10
Moore - Tried hard but just couldn't get into the game and was well beaten by the Frankston mids. 2 out of 10

Griffiths - Started the game extremely well taking contested marks and setting the standards in the first quarter. Played forward and ruck throughout the day and I would say he played a good game and showed better intensity but still needs to prove he has a future. 5 out of 10

Markov - Played wing and HB and shows plenty. Marked well and is strong for his size and was using his pace and kicking skills to advantage. Copped a cork in the last but I like him. Looks and plays AFL standard. 5 out of 10

McBean - Started well with a few towering marks but faded every quarter thereafter. I will say he tried to stay involved during the game but just couldn't get himself into the contest regularly enough. He clearly has plenty of talent but overall it wasn't his best performance. 3 out of 10

Broard - I will say i haven't seen anything special in young Broad thus far and today he was poor. He needs to improve his one on one and body positioning as he always gets beaten. I think he is a good WAFL or VFL player but he just seems to have so many floors in his game. He can run but that's about it for now and I see him well behind Grimes, Menadue and Markov who play a similar position. 1 out of 10

Butler - Interesting player. He played mid and goes in hard, wins hard ball, runs on the outside, tackles and harasses but when the games was in the balance he went completely missing. Given he missed last year to injury he does show enough to suggest he could progress if he develops and wants it. 4 out of 10

Elton - I thought Elton was a positive today. He looked like he was the general down back today and left his man at the right times to impact the contest and spoiled well. Used the ball well and provided options on the spread. The games i have seen this year he definitely looks more confident and assured around the ball. Not many like him on this board but I do. 7 out of 10

Short - Played mainly HF and did spend a small amount of time on ball. Showed his skills with decision making and kicking whilst harassing the opposition constantly. I don't think he got leather poisoning but like Markov shows AFL quality with the things he does. 5 out of 10

Castagna - Looked like he ran with Cavarra early and was well beaten by a player who should be playing AFL. Played HB the last half and did provide plenty of run and carry but was overwhelmed in the end with constant ball coming his way. I do like how strong he is and he does use his pace t get out of trouble. Shows signs of being a player. FYI - his kicking looked better but still needs work IMO. 4 out of 10

C. Moore - What a great runner and has amazing pace which in time :pray could be such a weapon. Still learning and finding it hard playing against bigger bodied opponents but he does some great things at times. I really hope he works hard on his kicking because I look at his and think he could be a player in 5 years. Overall was beaten on the day. 3 out of 10

Chol - Wow! go and watch this young man play......it was a pleasure to see him completely dominate the opposition at times today. His marking is elite and he has plenty of tricks and he is so fast!
When he plays a whole game out watch out! He has so many AFL qualities he could be anything :shh 8 out of 10

Marcon - Played his heart out but was completely smashed in the middle when it counted. This might sound harsh but it looked like he was trying too hard and was selfish at times. The type of selfish play like, get out of my way I will do it all myself type of stuff. From what I saw he let himself down with not bringing other into play like he should. Again, this might be harsh but I was concerned with what i was watching. He still gets plenty of the footy and hopehe turns it around next week. 2 out of 10

Soldo - He gets better and better every time I see him play. Still raw but is taking contested marks around the ground and he likes to kick a goal. For such a young man with limited experience he is already better than Hamspon IMO. He needs to continue developing his kicking and improve his work rate but he does show promise. 6 out of 10

Townsend, Hunt, Ballard didn't play.

Our VFL listed players all had stinkers today with the likes of Gale, Darley, Kruse, Mellington, Aarts, Couch (injured) and Conca having shockers. The only VFL player to play decent was Scott.

Overall Frankston played like they wanted to prove they can play at this level and played a scrappy game of contested footy. Way too good on the day with 22 committed players playing against a more talented but less desperate group :thumbsdown

I am going again next week and will looking for a better performance across the board.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2016, 08:18:27 PM »
Thanks to Loui for the running commentary, BT & the machine for the feedback on this game.  :clapping
The club that keeps giving.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2016, 08:20:11 PM »

The most disturbing thing about today was realizing we have absolutely no AFL listed genuine mids coming through that played today.
Too many flankers, wingmen and small forwards.
Our drafting has been putrid.

Mids and talls and rucks. We don't have enough coming through.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do