Author Topic: Playing youth out of position  (Read 4071 times)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Playing youth out of position
« on: April 26, 2016, 11:28:58 AM »
One of the things I've noted the RFC does on a constant basis is play our youngsters out of the position they do best at. This is to develop them, usually in defensive areas of their game.

I think this is actually destroying some of their natural creative flair. For example, both Lennon and Corey Ellis rarely played down back as youngsters. They made their name in the forward half and midfield respectively. Lennon plays as an intelligent forward that gets into the right places at the right time and has a beautiful kick that either kicks goals or sets them up. Corey Ellis was known as a mid who also was a fantastic kick setting up his forwards.

Yet both are played off the half back line. Why? They haven't got natural defensives strengths in their games. Ellis in particular is still very light framed and not strong enough to play back line. Yet we continue to curb their natural flair and not capitalise on the things that made them champion youngsters.
This will ultimately destroy their confidence and thus their ability to develop. 

I've lost all my faith in big Benny Griffiths too. However, how much of it is his fault and how much of it is the clubs? He was recruited as a full forward. He made his name with his size. He is then taken by the club and moved to the backline. He then is moved back to the forward line on a temporary basis and flung into the ruck, never having been a ruckman as a youth. He is then made to lose 10kg so he can have the aerobic capacity to run around the ground. So we have effectively taken away his main advantage which was being a massive 200cm forward who was still quite mobile for his size. I saw him the other day in his t shirt and he looked almost like a rake. He was bigger when he came to Richmond!

What this means is that we are constantly not recruiting to cover our needs and instead try to make players play unnatural roles to cover glaring holes in the list. This in turn is destroying them as players.

In part, it's just another small reason why we are where we are as a team.

Just my 2 cents worth.

OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
Re: Playing youth out of position
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 11:34:25 AM »
 The brains trust reckon they are more intelligent than what they are
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 11:46:12 AM »
The creative talents of C Ellis and Lennon need to be preserved and developed. I agree totally that playing them out of their natural positions is doing more harm than good to them. Hardwick over emphasizes the importance of a defensive skill set and is constantly framing his decisions in a defensive mindset. I agree that the decision to slim down Griffiths has done him no good.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 11:50:45 AM »
The creative talents of C Ellis and Lennon need to be preserved and developed. I agree totally that playing them out of their natural positions is doing more harm than good to them. Hardwick over emphasizes the importance of a defensive skill set and is constantly framing his decisions in a defensive mindset. I agree that the decision to slim down Griffiths has done him no good.

Roos taught melbourne to defend in about 1 / 1.5 seasons now they are moving on to offensive part of it

7 years later Damien "I don't know what I'm doing" still has no clue
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 11:53:23 AM »

Roos taught melbourne to defend in about 1 / 1.5 seasons now they are moving on to offensive part of it

7 years later Damien "I don't know what I'm doing" still has no clue
There is learning how to defend and there is playing in a back pocket. Two very different things. Therein lies the problem.

Online Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 12:04:34 PM »
Hardwick's focus on defence generally is I guess due to the fact he was a defender. The modern game is more about offense and being able to build attacks from the defense.

Unfortunately having brainwashed the entire playing group they are instinctively defensive and when pressure is applied they turn the ball over. Hence we need new coaches with modern strategies otherwise the current regime will ruin many more young players.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 12:10:52 PM »
Have to question what goes on during training if our players still can't handle pressure. Seriously, it's been one of our biggest downfalls forever. Apply pressure and we crumble. You think at training (especially match simulation/intra-clubs) they'd emphasise huge pressure on the ball to make us get better at handling that pressure.

Either it's not happening, or our players aren't good enough to put on pressure.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 12:37:49 PM »
Every player should be played off half back ..... :snidegrin
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 12:44:23 PM »
Every player should be played off half back ..... :snidegrin
Funny thing is that might work if we played sling shot footy, but that's bad as North play it…... :whistle

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 01:24:19 PM »
Knights was ahead of his time at Essendon.... :shh

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 01:34:59 PM »
When opposition friends/supporters are laughing at hardwick, it's time.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 02:03:14 PM »
The definition of insanity  :huh

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 02:04:20 PM »
According to albert

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 04:09:20 PM »
Everyone has been played out of position

Chaplin forward, Morris forward, Rance in the guts, Riewoldt in the guts, Hampson, Hunt, Moore, Morris, Townsend in the seniors.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 05:27:27 PM »
Chaplin forward. FLMAO.

What the stuff was that!
I don't know what's harder to believe- he thought Chaplin was the forward we want or he actually made a move during a match albeit Ckueless and embarassing.
Caracella and Balmey.