Author Topic: RFC Memorable Moments #1: the "Save Our Skins" campaign  (Read 21677 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
RFC Memorable Moments #1: the "Save Our Skins" campaign
« on: October 28, 2005, 06:35:51 AM »
Part One: TIGER CRISIS

On Wednesday, 15th August, 1990, it was revealed that 10 weeks to raise $1 million was what stood between the Club from being no more.   

Then Club president Neville Crowe announced the beginning of the "Endangered species" or as it became known "Save our Skin" campaign to save the club with full page advertisements in the papers: Click here for the Advertisement Poster 

Richmond appeal seeks $1 million
The Sun
Wednesday, August 15, 1990
by Tony De Bolfo

RICHMOND Football Club is to make an appeal for  $1 million in what may be a last-ditch bid to save the club from extinction.

A desperate call for funds will be made through an appeal labelling the Tigers an "Endangered Species".

The call for support will be made through a series of TV, press and radio advertisements.

It Is believed the club faces debts of $1.2 million, with the problems intensifying due to current high interest rates.

Richmond is obviously hoping to stir a ground-swell of support like that of last year when Footscray raised over $1.5 mllIion to save the club.

The club will announce the appeal at Punt Road this afternoon.

Last night influential club supporters were briefed by club administrators.    

Puma managing director Herb Elliott and club No.1 ticket-holder Lindsay Thompson, refused to comment as they left club headquarters last night. They said any comment would have to come from club president Neville Crowe.   

An agitated Crowe refused to elaborate on plans to fight Richmond's economic plight and said the details would be outlined at today's press conference.

General manager Cameron Schwab also refused to make any comment.

Richmond's woes increased with the recent collapse of the Estate Mortgage Group, which is believed to have contributed $30,000 to the club earlier this season.

Richmond was believed to be negotiating a major on-going sponsorship with the defunct group before it folded. Richmond's major sponsor since 1988 has been the Transport Accident Commission, with sponsorship for 1988-89 totalling $325.000. This year's sponsorship is believed to be $200,000 but the agreemen is to be reviewed on an annual basis so the Tigers have no guarantee of on-going financial backing.

It is the second time in less than a year Richmond has had to go to its members for financial support. In October last year a rally at the MCG raised $180,000.

Crowe's involvement with Richmond goes back to 1957 when he was a player and later as an administrator. He was captain from 1963-66 and won the best and fairest three times. He became the club's third president in the one season in 1987 when he succeeded Bm Durham who took over from Alan Bond.

When he took over as president he said his main aim was to get the club back into a winning frame which he felt "is just a whisker away".

"And secondly, of course, to absolutely ensure our long-term existence in the football competition as it is at the moment."

"I've played in sides when I've felt the pain just like the RIchmond supporters out there have felt the pain - of  losing and the heartache that goes with it.

"It's the old cliche of winners make it happen and losers let it happen ... and I can assure you that at Richmond we don't intend to let anything more of this losing strain take place."
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 06:42:24 AM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
TIGERS ARE CORNERED

The Sun
By Tony De Bolfo
Thursday, 16 August, 1990.

IN 10 weeks, the 106-year-old Richmond Football Club could be dead.

If the club does not raise $1 million between now and October 31, it faces three options - merging, relocation or liquidation.

At Punt Road yesterday, Richmond president Neville Crowe, flanked by general manager Cameron Schwah and coach Kevln Bartlett, said the Tigers' major problems were:

* Richmond's current deficit of $1.25 million, with interest costs to service tbe club's bank overdraft currently at $285,000 per annum, or $5000 per week.
* The Social Club's shutdown, which has cost the club thousands of dollars.
* Unforseen legal obligations governing the social club problems, as well as inherited settlements to past coaches and players.

Crowe warned of the consequences facing the club and its directors if Richmond failed to satisfy its bankers.

"Unless we come up with that million dollars in the next couple of months, the alternatives are totally abhorrent, bnt we've got to look at them." Crowe said.

"It's an uphill battle. I guess you could call it 'catch-up footy' in today's terminology if you like."

But the AFL immediately dismissed one of the options when it said it would not allow a merger.

Crowe did not regard it as unreasonable or unfair that his club should again seek financial SOS from its supporters, this time to the tune of $1 million - six times the $165,000 acquired from those supporters following a rally at the MCG last October.

During yesterday's press conference in the committee room at the old Punt Road Oval, Crowe ta1ked of Richmond's catastrophic demise in the eight years since it last played off for what would have been its 11th premiership, brought about through indiscriminate chequebook recruiting.

He said that Richmond, which recorded profits of $7,032 in 1988 and $261,630 last year, first became aware of the problems back in 1987 through the investigations of its financial director Michael Humphris.

Titanic

"What a tragedy it would be if Richmond supporters (and quite frankly all football fans) ignored our desperate plea for help and let the club do a 'Titanic' and slip rapidly to its grave," Crowe said.

"We do not want to be forced into the same position that Footscxay  found itself in late last year before our supporters shake off their aparthy and make a decision.

"That decision should be: 'They will not take my footbal1 club away from me. No way! Under no circumstances!'

"I can promise you while I've got breath in my body no-one's going to take my football club away from me.

"We're not giving up, that's one thing that is for sure. We're going to fight on like you've never seen before."

He also voiced his club's total opposition to the Port Adelaide-AFL proposal in its current form, regardless of the financial inducement offered.

He said he could understand the AFL's intention to include Port Adelaide as the 15th league team."but meanwhile the Richmonds and the Fitzoys and the North Melbournes are sitting on the razor's edge ready to be tipped over".

"And no-one's going to do anything about it, except the Richmond supporters I hope and football supporters generally," Crowe said.

Crowe revealed that registered membership figures had dropped from 12,000 in Richmond's premiership year of 1980 to 5000 in 1990.

"There are 7000 people out there who claim to be Richmond supporters but somehow they don't make a financial contribution by buying a membership ticket." he said.

"So I hope those pretenders, if you like, will stand up and be counted."

Crowe added that an apparent apathy towards Richmond was what required urgent and immediate attention.

"You know, it's that 'I don't care'. 'I don't really care enough', 'she'll be right mate' attitude." Crowe said.

Prepared

"Well I can assure you she won't be bloody alright mate, unIess people are prepared to come and do what we believe they ought to do."
Richmond's last ditch "Save our Skin Fund", will be extensively advertised through  newspapers, television and radio.

Though there is an obvious doubt as to where the finances to cover such advertising will eminate, Crowe suggested they might come from donations.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
TIGERS RALLY

By TONY DE BOLFO
The Sun
Thursday, August 16, 1990

RICHMOND coach Kevin Bartlett, arguably Punt Road's greatest player, has called on his players to rally behind the club in its last-ditch bid for survival.

Bartlett, the AFL games record-holder with 403, five-time Richmond hest and fairest winner, five time premiership player, and Richmond coach of the past three seasons, said player response had been positive during Tuesday night's urgent briefing.

"I think they were very concemed and at the same very supportive of the club," he said yesterday.

".__.__, they've certainly pledged their support.

"I know players are talking about ways they can get together to help the club.

"Like everyone else, they're extremely keen to see the club survive and survive in a manner that wi1l make it competitive."

Bartlett warned that while Richmond had never asked its players to take pay cuts, "that's something the club may have to look at if we don't have  enough support".

And would he be prepared to take a pay cut?

"I think we've said before that whatever sacrifices have to be made for the Richmond Football Club to survive have to be made," Bartlett said.

Though Bartlett, club president Nevllle Crowe and general manager Cameron Schwab refused to level the blame at anybody for Richmond's financial plight, Bartlett made his feelings clear on what he believed were gung-ho activities of previous administrations.

"Most people know that in days gone by clubs tried to win premierships with large sums of money spent on players who proved to be duds. No good.

"And therefore there was a lot of money spent on getting players to the club, with no success.

"Certainly since I've been here and Neville's been here as president we inherited a debt which has made it difficult for us to he competitive in the market of gaining players.

"Now we've had a youth policy and that's been very very successful ... at the same time it would he nice if we could have run, in conjunction with that, a senior policy."

Bartlett said it would have been easy to have gone into that marketplace and been irresponsible.

"But over the past three years we've been as responsible as any person could possibly be in not being in that marketplace," Bartlett said.
Richmond's player salary cap is $950.000, compared with the AFL's level of $1.4 million.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
WEIGHTMAN LEADS PLAYERS' RESPONSE

The Sun

As the football world last night wondered what would become of Richmond, one man was clear where the Tigers were headed.

It was business-as-usual for Richmond skipper, and veteran of 232 games, Dale Weightman at training and he had a message - Richmond will not die.

But while he was confident the club would survive, he did concede the problem was the most serious ever to confront Richmond.
Weightman said the players' contribution to the 'endangered species" drive could start on Saturday.

"What we can do for a start, is to win a few games. The last three games are very important and the players realise they're mutually playing for their livelihood." he said

The Richmond team was called to a meeting on Tuesday night, where Tiger President Neville Crowe gave the players full details of the club's plight.

From the outset, the players were 100 percent behind the administration.

"They told us up front what's happening and we're an behind them and ready to get into it this week," Weightman said.

And plans are underway for the players' own, different money-raising effort.

"There's a few talented blokes out there and a few funny men, so you never know what we might organise," he said.

Weightman was adamant the players were firmly behind  the administration under Neville Crowe. "They've done a great job. We came fourth last in 1988 and last year, and both times we've made a profit. Everyone to do with Richmond - supporters, trainers, players - they're all part of the club," he said.

The team will use the events of the past 48 hours as a morale booster for on-field success. "We're fighting for our club. If it goes, a lot of us will go too," he said.

He said Richmond had one of the league's biggest followings, which could join together and save the club.

"I remember in 1980, we were the first club ever to pull in a million people in a season." he said.

He agreed sacrifices bad to be made, and the players would be prepared to discuss pay cuts. "If it comes to that we'd be prepared to sit down and talk about it."

After 14 years at Richmond, his only club, Weightman said he was confident the loyalty of players and supporters would keep them alive.
There's thousands of people behind this club that won't sit down and let us die. We'll survive."

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
PLEA TO YOUNG AT HART

By Bruce Matthews
The Sun

RICHMOND'S legendary centre half-forward Royce Hart last night targeted the youngsters of his playing days as the group to help pull his old club out of its financial mire.

Hart appealed to those hero-worshippers, now young family men, to recall the good times in the Tigers' fight for survival.

"There were hundreds of kids running around in Richmond jumpers when I was playing," Hart said.

"Richmond was the popular team to follow in the 60s, the 70s and the early 80s. Those young supporters are now grown up and in the workforce and community.

This is the time to show their loyalty to the club they followed through the good years. They are the people who could be the key to it (survival)," he said.

Hart played 204 games for the Tigers from 1967 to 1977. He was a key member of 1967, '69, '73 and '74 premiership teams, skipper in '73 and '74.

"It's not as if Richmond has been down and out, it's not a club which has been struggling for 50 years. It won its last premiership only 10 years ago." Hart said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
TIGERS ZONED OUT

By Tommy Hafey
The Sun

ITS IRONIC the heady days of Richmond in the 1960s and 70s are part of the reason the club is now facing problems.

The club had been on the chopping block for more than 20 years when a vigorous management headed by Graeme Richmond took to the bush and suburbs looking for talent.

I have no doubt the introduction of country zoning meant the end of the golden days for Richmond.

I remember I was at Shepparton when Richmond arrived wanting to know if there were any likely prospects. He only wanted to know about blokes who could run and kick.

The Tigers hadn't won a flag since 1943 when we won in '67, and hadn't been in the finals for 20 years.

In that side we had Geoff Strang (Albury), Francis Bourke (Nathalia), Dick Clay (Kyabram), John Northey (Derrinalum). Barry Richardson and John Perry (both Wodonga). We also had Royce Hart who was recruited from Clarence in Tasmania as a 16 year-old and youngsters from the suburbs like Kevin Bartlett, Graham Burgin, Bill Barrott, Tony Jewell and Michael Green. The side also included veterans such as Roger Dean, Fred Swift, Neville Crowe, Paddy Guinane, Max Richardson and Mike Patterson.

Then in 1969 we grabbed Eric Moore from Coleraine, Ian Owen from Echuca, Michael Perry and Michael Bowden.
Another youngester we got was Kevin Sheedy. The only interstate player of any significance was Colin Beard.

It was about that time country zones came into being. It was one of the worst things that happened to the Richmond Football Club.

We were strongly against country zoning. If you were on the bottom, you deserved it. No one knew that better than we did because we had been there for 20 years. The only support Richmond received on the zoning issue came from Geelong and Collingwood: ironically these three clubs ended up with the three least productive zones.

It also sparked the dominance of Hawthorn and Carlton which, after zoning came into place, won 13 of the next 22 flags, taking the runner-up title six times as well. Hawthorn had the Peninsula and Gippsland areas and Carlton the Bendigo district.

Richmond won flags again in 1973-74, but that was because of active recruiting from other league clubs. These players included Gareth Andrews. Robert McGhie, Wayne Walsh, David Thorpe, Paul Sproule, Ian Stewart and Stephen Rae.

The club was forced to do that because there was nothing really coming through from the country or suburban zones.

Even the implementation of the country zones was messed up.

First it was to be for a three-year period, which was extended by another two years because clubs felt the capabilities of the players couldn't be assessed properly in that time. However through a bungle, that rotation period was never altered in the official minutes. It then meant a three-quarter majority was needed to change the rule. By this time clubs knew when they were onto a good thing, and obviously the majority wouldn't change.

Revenge

After that it was a case of trying to beg, borrow or steal players. And certainly Richmond didn't help themselves when there was a certain element of revenge when it went chasing Collingwood players. The Magpies had grabbed Geoff Raines, Brian Taylor and David Cloke so the Tigers went for Phillip Walsh, John Annear, Craig Stewart, Peter McCormack, Wally Lovett and others.

The present financial problems are probably a legacy of the huge transfer fees Richmond had to pay in their bid to get even with the Magpies.  Richmond now faces the problem of not having the nucleus of about 30 good players needed to be a top side.

Consequently good draft players are thrown in at the deep end and do not get the chance to settle in and be nurtured. They find themselves up against the likes of Brereton, Millane, Kernahan, Loewe and others before they are properly ready.

It doesn't matter who the coach is, it is very difficult to put together a competitive side under those conditions.

The drop in attendances is a by-product of lack of success, and Richmond proved in those heady years how important the crowds were. The MCG used to bubble in those days, and if there was an empty seat, we would want to know why.

It's very sad that a side which was such a power, winning five of the past 22 premierships, is now battling for survival.

-with SIMON TOWNLEY

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
COUNCIL URGES FANS TO RALLY TO BANNER

By BRUCE MATTHEWS
The Sun

RICHMOND City Council last night implored all football supporters to aid the Tigers' fight to avoid extinction.

"Footscray late last year was able to engender outside help, and not just from Footscray supporters," RCC chief executive David Williams said.

"I'm sure no one wants to see one of the great clubs of this city go under."

He hoped Richmond's plight would draw similar wide support to Footscray's.

Richmond, like Fitzroy and North Melbourne, had endured a gradual eroding of the local supporter base with the changing social face of Melbourne's Inner suburbs.

"It's my belief the decline of local support goes back 15 to 20 years when players began to be recruited from all over Victoria and Interstate and players started swapping between clubs," he said.

"The changing of the grounds also affected local support. Football at Punt Road was a Saturday afternoon tradition years ago.

"Richmond's socio-economic level was such that there was not much spare money and footy was their escape.

"It mattered little that Richmond wasn't successful. They would cheer their local heroes, players like "Mopsy" Fraser and Jack Dyer. Probably, the last local hero was Kevin Bartlett.

"Richmond has changed greatly since then, with half the people born in non-English speaking countries where the round ball is popular.

"The Richmond community will be diminished if the Richmond Football Club folds.

"We understand the debt is crippling, particularly with the interest rates. If the club gets that monkey off its back, it can be competitive.

"We at the council wish them all the best."

The Big Drop

RICHMOND last made the finals in 1982 when it was runner-up to Carlton.
Since the height of its success, after a premiership in 1980, its attendances have dropped by more than half.
Ironically, this has seen a turnaround in the steady fall, with attendances already nearly 40,000 up on 1989.

HOME  ATTENDANCES 1981-1990

1981......   408,859
1982......   397,249
1983…...    376,519
1984......   327,524
1985......   231,073
1986......   227,766
1987......   176,193
1988......   168,201
1989......   157,207
1990*…... 195,802

*Only 9 games so far.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL rejects merger role

By Bruce Matthews
The Sun

RICHMOND merging with another elub is not an alternative, according to the AFL commission.

Chief commissioner Ross Oakley last night ruled out league intervention to the embattled TIgers.

Mindful of the backlash from the abortive Footscray-Fltzroy plan last October, the AFL is prepared to let clubs sink or swim from their finanical mire.

But Oakley reiterated Rlchmond was part of future national competition plans, and urged supporters to back the salvage operation announced yesterday.

Oakley said the AFL was yesterday made aware of the Tigers' campaign to raise $1 million.

"We are most concerned that according to Richmond president Neville Crowe, the club 'is poised directly on the brink of extinction'.

"I would like to stress the following: Richmond is a critical element in the future of the AFL.

"The club has a great tradition and we urge its huge supporter base to get behind the campaign announced today.

"The AFL commission has not, and will not, talk with any party about the idea of Richmond merging with another club.

After the Hobart conference last year, Richmond advised that it was not interested in merging with another club."

Oakley said the commission was disappointed with Crowe's comments relating to the Port Adelaide bid to join the AFL.

"The AFL Commission would not be recommending that Port Adelaide enter the competition if it meant any of the existing clubs
were disadvantaged.

"Financially, each of the current clubs will benefit as a result of Port Adelaide's entry.

"As a result of the move to the national competition, the AFL Commission believes that all clubs should be able to survive due to the increased revenue flowing from an expanded AFL."

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
CLUBS BACK RICHMOND

By Mick Atkins and Tony De Bolfo
The Sun
Friday, August 17, 1990

GEELONG became the first AFL club to lend a hand to debt stricken Richmond yesterday when it donated Gary Ablett's jumper to be raffled at tomorrow's match. Dale Weightman's jumper will also be raffled by the Tigers' cheer squad and there will be a can shake outside the MCG.

On Sunday more than 10,000 letters will be sent out to Richmond and AFL Park members asking for support.

Collingwood president Allan McAlister and Footscray business manager Dennis Galimberti both confirmed their clubs would make significant donations.

And Richmond deputy vice-president and millionaire businessman Gary Krauss has pledged more money. Krauss has already saved the club from extinction with a $400,000 interest free loan in November 1985. Only $100.000 of that has been repaid. Krauss insists that his further contribution alone won't save Richmond and it will take the efforts of every member.

Galimberti said his club was willing to help Richmond in any way it can.We support their cause. We can join in with them in their fundraising," he said.

Offers have flooded in since Wednesday's announcement that unless the Tigers wiped their $1 million debt by October 31 they would be forced to merge, relocate or liquidate.

Fitzroy has admitted that like Richmond, it is also in debt - to the tune of $700,000 - and said it would soon announce a proposal to clear the slate.

The Townhouse Hotel in Carlton has offered to donate 350 three course meals in their banquet room to the cause. Fanatical Collingwood supporter and entertainer Colleen Hewitt has also volunteered her services.

The Tigers' biggest fundraiser will be their club rally next Thursday at the MCG.  There will also be a past "legends" match between former Richmond and Carlton players on September 23.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
First Game after Campaign Launch: Round 20, 1990 - Richmond vs Geelong

HUNGRY RUES LACK OF DEPTH

By Glen Quartermain
The Sunday Sun
August 19, 1990

FRUSTRATED Richmond coach Kevin Bartlett last night linked the Tigers' 64-point loss to Geelong with their current financial plight.
Bartlett said money bought player depth and Richmond was lacking in both.

"Today was a demonstration of how much assistance we need," Bartlett said.

"Hopefully it can escalate the assistance …and make people realize the club's need for depth and money to survive.

"It has been shown to us that unless we can have our best 20 on the ground we can struggle."

Bartlett suggested the club was lacking key position players - a deficiency which was highlighted by Geelong forward Gary Ablett's 12-goal haul.

The Tigers' coach used three players on the star Cat yesterday, with Jeff Hogg achieving the best result, conceding only two goals.

But when Hogg was shifted into defence, the Tigers lost their chief goal-kicker, a factor Bartlett said highlighted the club's lack of depth.

"If you haven't got them in round one, you haven't got them in round 20, so we need the Richmond supporters to support us in a very difficult financial situation." he said.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 07:21:59 AM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
EYES OF THE TIGERS LIGHT UP IN HOPE

By Glen Quartermain
The Sunday Sun
Sunday, August 19, 1990

RICHMOND officials were buoyant after an overwhelming response to their survival campaign at the MCG yesterday.

Football supporters yesterday pledged thousands of dollars in tin collection and raffles around the ground   as the club fights to raise $1 million by October 31.

Richmond general manager Cameron Schwab said the club had netted $10,000 in cash.

While Schwab was optimistic the club would claw its way closer to the $1 million target over the next few weeks, he said it would still take an enormous effort to save the club from merging, relocation or at worst liquidation."

Schwab conceded the Tigers were pessimistic about raising $1 million when the "Save Our Skin" was launched last Wednesday.

"But we have been buoyed by the enthusiasm showed not just by Richmond people but all football fans to support the club," he said.

Several AFL clubs have already pledged their support, including Geelong, Essendon, Carlton and Footscray, while Collingwood has indicated it will make a financial donation.

The Cats yesterday donated Gary Ablett's guernsey which it raffled off during the game, while donations from supporters were highlighted by a $50.40 pledge from seven year-old Tiger fan Christopher O'Brien late last week.

But the Tigers are expecting their biggest windfall to come from a "Save Our Skin" rally to be held next Sunday from 11am at the MCG.

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
Great clippings one-eyed, very nicely done.

I remember that loss in Round 20, I was there, and just gutted, I've never felt so bad about footy. I am so glad those days are behind us. Well, nearly.

Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Great clippings one-eyed, very nicely done.

I remember that loss in Round 20, I was there, and just gutted, I've never felt so bad about footy. I am so glad those days are behind us. Well, nearly.

It wouldn't be a Geelong game in those days without a lazy bag of 12 from Ablett  :help.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
I was sorting through some stuff at Ma Powell's place over the weekend and came across a receipt for her donation to the SOS campaign. She parted with $50 which was alot of $$$ to a pensioner back then and probably still is now :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011

It wouldn't be a Geelong game in those days without a lazy bag of 12 from Ablett :help.

Well, I'm glad I missed Dunstall's near league record against us!
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine