Author Topic: No get out clause; Richmond up for big pay out if Hardwick is sacked (H-Sun)  (Read 3826 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond up for big pay out if it was to sack coach Damien Hardwick

JON RALPH
Herald Sun
May 4, 2016 7:00pm

RICHMOND has no get-out clause for Damien Hardwick’s contract that doesn’t see them handing the veteran coach a significant payout.

The Tigers conducted a series of reviews into Hardwick’s future over the off-season then endorsed a two-year extension through to 2018.

Recent reports suggested the club could easily extricate itself from Hardwick’s contract without real heartburn or financial cost.

But it is understood Hardwick has a base contract then a series of incentives that would reward finals appearances and victories.

If the Tigers did decide to cut ties with Hardwick they would have to pay most or all of the deal, which has nearly three seasons to run.

Failure to make finals in 2016 would not represent a deal-breaker that would allow them to cut ties with Hardwick.

Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale continues to throw his weight behind Hardwick as the club tries to extricate itself from its current predicament.

The Tigers would now look totally reactive if they moved on Hardwick at year’s end after such a comprehensive review.

Richmond president Peggy O’Neal said earlier this year the club was adamant Hardwick was the man.

“We asked whether we were at the point where this is as far as he’s going to take us. Is it time for someone else to come in and take over? In the end the answer was no,” she said.

The Tigers have denied they are conducting a review of recruiting but have big decisions to make on their next list management move.

For all the criticism of the club’s recruiting many of the successes were garnered by sacrificing very little.

Troy Chaplin was a free agency acquisition, Bachar Houli was a pre-season pick, Ivan Maric was secured for pick 37, Anthony Miles was a rookie and Shaun Grigg was taken for the loss of Andrew Collins.

What is of more concern is the lack of development of the juniors, with Richmond’s VFL side battling at 1-3 with few real winners this year.

Much-spruiked tall Liam McBean had four possessions in last weekend’s loss, the no. 33 pick in the 2012 draft still not yet ready to play AFL.

Ben Griffiths looks ready for an AFL recall after battling injury after taking five contested marks and kicking two goals.

Jayden Short, who kicked three goals in his AFL debut, had 26 possessions off half back.

But the club’s midfield recruits in the off-season — Jacob Townsend and Andrew Moore — are battling away in VFL with Chris Yarran still 4-6 weeks away.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-up-for-big-pay-out-if-it-was-to-sack-coach-damien-hardwick/news-story/91b442e3161daf65bafe69455c6e502d

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
So Patrick Smith says they do

Jonny Ralph says they don't

Think that means no one has a clue  :snidegrin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
And Chucky says his contract has a clause about a rebuild.

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
If this is true the RFC board needs a massive cleanout starting with Peggy and Brendon who have tied an albatross around the clubs neck.

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
Stuffen bunch of amateurs. Worst outcome for this club ever was when Malcolm Speed didn't replace March.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Ooh but Peggy is great for the club didn't you all know that

:thumbsup
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Ruanaidh

Some of us have known for several years that this day would come. I began withholding my membership money in 2013. Anyone who stumps up with their cash after witnessing the ineptitude of this club and having suffered the blaming from it's staff (who you pay)..... is an idiot.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks

I've been a member for 30 years and God willing will be for the next 30.

:cheers

Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Ruanaidh

I've been a member for 30 years and God willing will be for the next 30.

:cheers
..and this rabble profits from your good intentions, however noble they may be.

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
Some of us have known for several years that this day would come. I began withholding my membership money in 2013. Anyone who stumps up with their cash after witnessing the ineptitude of this club and having suffered the blaming from it's staff (who you pay)..... is an idiot.

Me also.

Disappointing it has got to this point, however, Hardwick's 2 year extension was the final straw for me

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
So Patrick Smith says they do

Jonny Ralph says they don't

Think that means no one has a clue  :snidegrin

That's right. People don't go around showing the media their contracts. Unless they are real stupid  ;D

They are speculators  :lol

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame

I feel sad for you

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Stuffen bunch of amateurs. Worst outcome for this club ever was when Malcolm Speed didn't replace March.

O'Neal and now Gale are 2 people on the board. The enitre board voted in favour of the contract extension.

They are all to blame.

Benny cops the biggest whack from me though, as it was his recommnedation to extend the contract
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka

O'Neal and now Gale are 2 people on the board. The enitre board voted in favour of the contract extension.

They are all to blame.

Benny cops the biggest whack from me though, as it was his recommnedation to extend the contract

Benny was great as a player but as CEO, he can stuff off.

Had hi$ chance and went the money route.

pee off BG.
You have made some stuffn unbelievably stupid decisions.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
Sack the bum
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus