Author Topic: Deledio anoints Corey Ellis to fill Tigers' backline void ... (afl site)  (Read 4447 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Deledio anoints Ellis to fill Tigers' backline void

AFL.com.au
May 17, 2016

RICHMOND will put its faith in emerging youngster Corey Ellis to fill the void left by injured half-back Bachar Houli, who is set to miss the next two months with a fractured wrist.

The Tigers confirmed on Tuesday that Houli would miss between eight and 10 weeks, but there are hopes he could recover in as soon as six weeks after surgery on Monday afternoon.

Ellis, a first-round midfielder when drafted at the end of 2014, was stationed across half-back for the Tigers' drought-breaking win against the Sydney Swans and looks set to continue in the role.     

"I think he's playing some pretty handy footy at the moment and growing with every game he plays," vice-captain Brett Deledio said on Tuesday.

"'Bach' is a wonderful player and we'll welcome him back when he's ready, but we're covering him OK at the moment.

Family first for Tigers Rioli and Yarran

"From all reports [his surgery] went well, and we've been told anywhere from six to eight weeks, but hopefully he's back sooner than that."

The Tigers are all but certain to be bolstered by the return of captain Trent Cotchin for Saturday night's clash against Fremantle at Domain Stadium, with the skipper training in a helmet on Tuesday.

Deledio said the Tigers were wary of the "well-coached" Dockers, given their winless start to the season and the need for Ross Lyon’s team to get the monkey off their back. 

He said the Tigers' ability to break through after six straight losses had been a great reward for hard work.

"It's always nice to have a win, but we fully understand where we sit at the moment," he said. 

"We've been working pretty hard the last few weeks and the wheel is slowly starting to turn.

"We've got a lot of work to do and our focus is primarily on Fremantle this weekend."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-17/ellis-to-fill-tigers-backline-void

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Oh goody, another midget backman  :lol

Lids is only saying that to keep himself out of there....
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Dimmers visions are culpable
Caracella and Balmey.

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
If it means Vlas stays in the guts then I'm ok with it for now

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
C.Ellis gave some pretty sweet kicks out of the backline against the Swans. I don't want him to stay there long term but he is a pretty skilled user of the ball and at least he doesn't drop handballs/marks like B.Ellis

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
And if we are really lucky he may gaet a crack at midfield/Wing in another 4-6 years....

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
There is no reason why a few of our other midfielders couldn't rotate through HB giving Cellis a run in the middle too. Expose these kids into the midfield nice and early imo.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
I pull rather see Grigg back there and Ellis up on the wing/ceter drifting forward. He would kick more goals and hit more targets inside 50.

"Rucks:

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
I pull rather see Grigg back there and Ellis up on the wing/ceter drifting forward. He would kick more goals and hit more targets inside 50.
This exactly. The one person I would want to kick that all important inside 50 ball is Ellis. It sets up shots for goal. Poor kicks by Dimma's favourites set up turnovers and likely goals to the opposition.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
He looks a natural half back to me.
Creative user which we need to set up from our defensive 50....
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Your back line really needs to kick well these days. Long gone are the days of big hoofs out of defense.  Ellis could be a real asset. Look at how well Geelongs premiership backline kicked or hawthorn. His only issue is he is only 6 foot. He can't play tall and we need talls.  But if you think of him as a replacement for Morris it's a win in the kicking stakes. I doubt he will be able to replace his intensity though he seems too slow.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
I just have an issue using the cream of the draft who played as mids as juniors, in the backline. Especially undersized gems like Ellis. He is a mid. Just because he can kick doesn't mean he must play back in defence.
What the hell is stopping him from learning to run back into the defensive half to receive the ball and send it forwards anyway? The best mids run hard both ways anyway and it's about time our youngsters learnt this.
As a defender he doesn't have the size or the toughness.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
He is not playing half back to learn to be defensive.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
Oh goody, another midget backman  :lol

Lids is only saying that to keep himself out of there....

Houli 180cm
C Ellis 184cm