Author Topic: Will the new rules help us?  (Read 3593 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Will the new rules help us?
« on: December 05, 2005, 05:24:42 AM »
IIRC Wallace wasn't overly enthusiastic about the rule changes (maybe it was moreso about the lack of consultation, I can't remember) but I reckon, with the gameplan and list Tezza is developing, anything that keeps the game moving be it more hard-running or more one-on-one stuff will in the long run be advantageous for us.

What do you guys and gals think?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Will the new rules help us?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 10:27:14 AM »
That's exactly what i thought!

IIRC he asked that the rules were implemented over a period of time and he was basically told "tough luck"!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 02:22:07 PM »
I don't think all of them will help us.

The new one about lining up in the goal square no matter where you take the mark is a goody for us becausewe take so many contested marks but..............

The kick out before the flags being waved could increase flooding rather than decrease it. You may find that the flood moves from the back half to the centre of the ground. That is team concede the fisrt kick in short and then everyone runs to the centre to stop/block the ball coming forward.

They were talking about this topic this morning on SEN - Blinks Watson said that a number of coaches he's spoken to had raised concerns about what I've mentioned
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 02:54:22 PM »
Do what they do in u 14's footy, kick it over "the wall"!  :thumbsup

Couldn't teams just run and carry the ball, with handballs here and there to running players up to where the flood is, then either blitzkreig it or just bomb it 50-60m over it?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 06:31:00 PM »
It would be hard to flood the centre of the ground as it's a larger area to control and the side with the footy can just do what Razor suggested and bypass over it. You would need to do what the Swans do now and flood the back half. It's going to be a very tiring game if you first run forward as a team and only score a point then quickly do a U-turn to get back to your defence before the opposition gets the ball forward. Accurate goalkicking is going to be now a major major skill in the game (hint to Richo and Simmonds ;) ) as minimizing behinds will be the best prevention against opposition rebounding coast-to-coast goals. Don't give them an opportunity in the first place.

Do what they do in u 14's footy

Have 36 grown men follow the ball around in a pack lol.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 07:10:17 PM »
Accurate goalkicking is going to be now a major major skill in the game (hint to Richo and Simmonds ;) ) as minimizing behinds will be the best prevention against opposition rebounding coast-to-coast goals. Don't give them an opportunity in the first place.

True that's why the new rule re: marks inside the goal square is a ripper  ;D

I just want the game to remain FOOTBALL - rather than basketball and I can see with the new rule alot of basketball type defending. Blinks Watson said it this morning and I heard a very well respected AFL coach say the same thing last week ;) :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 04:52:56 AM »
True that's why the new rule re: marks inside the goal square is a ripper  ;D

I'll still be nervous when Richo has the shot lol.

I just want the game to remain FOOTBALL - rather than basketball and I can see with the new rule alot of basketball type defending. Blinks Watson said it this morning and I heard a very well respected AFL coach say the same thing last week ;) :thumbsup

LOL  :thumbsup

That's true WP. I guess I'm hoping maybe wishfully that more 1-on-1 contests will return to our game with rules that encourage quick play-on footy.

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 11:22:52 AM »
Here is the MAJOR problem though.

They are making a lot of rule changes every year, some might work but some mightn't, the problem is Demetriou and Anderson are WAY too proud/arrogant/uip themselves to admit they stuffed up with the rule changes, and wouldn't change them back!

They've also made this game as soft as netball, you accidently bump an umpire, who was at fault for the collision, 1 week suspenison.

You say something that Demetriou and Anderson don't like, $10,000 fine.

You tap someone on the head, 2 week suspension.

It goes on and on and im peeed at what they've done to this game!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 12:56:55 PM »
They are making a lot of rule changes every year, some might work but some mightn't, the problem is Demetriou and Anderson are WAY too proud/arrogant/uip themselves to admit they stuffed up with the rule changes, and wouldn't change them back!

I am not sure if Anderson is arrogant Razor - he just doesn;t seem up to the job to me.

Listening to him this morning on Sport927 - he "ummed and arghed" a helluva lot about the rules. Then when they asked him about something outside the rule changes his reply was something like "I not prepared to comment on that, it's not my area you'll need to speak to Tony Peek and some other bloke". I thought WTF? You're second in charge down there - you should know what's going on.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
The new rules: Half-court press? (AFL Site)
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 07:16:08 PM »
Half-court press?

5:20:07 PM Tue 6 December, 2005
Paul Gough
Sportal for afl.com.au

Richmond coach Terry Wallace says the new kick-in rule could turn football into basketball and backfire on the AFL in their attempt to improve the look of the game.

From next year the full-back will not have to wait for the goal umpire to finish waving his flags before bringing the ball back into play and instead will be able to do so as soon as the score has been signalled.

Extra footballs will be even placed behind the goals to enable play to be started much quicker after a behind has been scored.

The AFL is hoping the new rule will end the defensive zoning that in recent seasons has resulted more and more in frustrated full-backs having to chip the ball to a nearby teammate in the back pocket just to get the ball back into play.

However Wallace said on Tuesday the new rule could have a detrimental affect on the game by forcing the coaches to come up with even more defensive tactics as the ball comes back into play at lightning speed - as happens in basketball.

"Personally I think it may have a detrimental affect on the game aesthetically because I reckon you will get more (defensive) zoning."

But echoing Kangaroos' coach Dean Laidley's comments last week, Wallace said such tactics might now be employed in the defensive half of the ground of the team that is defending the kick-in rather than across the attacking 50 metre line as the opposition prepares to kick-in.

This tactic is commonly used in basketball where the team that has just scored runs back to their half of the court and allows the opposition to come to halfway before attempting to win back the ball.

"We will train at running back halfway as soon as a fast point is scored so we will give them (the team kicking-in) the first half of the ground and make sure we have got them manned up at the halfway point," Wallace said.

This could led to the strange sight of players running away from their goal to get back to the defensive end of the ground so they can't be caught by a fast break from the kick-in by the other team.

"On a slow behind like when someone takes a mark or has a free-kick, you will have time for your blokes to be able pick up their man or do your (defensive) zoning (in the attacking 50 as is the case now)," Wallace said.

"But on a fast point (like when the ball has gone down the ground quickly) we won’t be able to do that so what we would do is play a half court press and get everyone back to the middle of the ground and try to pick them up from there because if you try and pick them up from down back they are going to get away from you."

"And if even one bloke is not picked up it can have a carry-on effect all the way down the ground and you get a goal kicked on you."

Wallace said while it was up to the AFL to make rule changes, the coaches should have been consulted first.

"Was there enough thought given to this?" he asked of the implications of the new kick-in rule which Essendon coach Kevin Sheedy has already stated will make the game so quick it will end the careers of some of the game's less athletic players.

"Whose judgement call was it that it will make the game better? It might make the game better but I can see some problems."

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=239737

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 09:51:00 PM »
Demetriou and co making rule changes without any consultation with the coaches, nice one!  :banghead :banghead

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 07:36:21 AM »
Yep all pretty stupid really, agree with the lineup in front of goal for mark or free if takern n square - that seems only fair.

BUT something as major as this play on thing should of at least been trialled in the NAB for a couple of years. Think this one may come back and bite em on the bum STUPID  :o

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 08:43:51 AM »
On the kick in rule I don't see what all the fuss is about.  ??? On average there would only be about 5 seconds difference from the previous rule and the ball would have to finish up right next to the man kicking out for it to have any effect and lets face it, a high percentage of balls go into the crowd anyway. It won't be like soccer where they have multiple balls ready to go next to the post. If you take all this into account I reckon only about 1 in 20 kick ins will be any quicker than they are now.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2005, 04:42:17 PM »
a high percentage of balls go into the crowd anyway. It won't be like soccer where they have multiple balls ready to go next to the post.

It will be like soccer Tiga - they are planning to have spare balls at each end for the kick-ins like they did in the 2005 Wizz Fizz Cup - so you don't have to wait for the ball to come back from the crowd

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2005, 05:50:34 PM »
a high percentage of balls go into the crowd anyway. It won't be like soccer where they have multiple balls ready to go next to the post.

It will be like soccer Tiga - they are planning to have spare balls at each end for the kick-ins like they did in the 2005 Wizz Fizz Cup - so you don't have to wait for the ball to come back from the crowd
Thanks for the correction WP, I didn't know that. Well that sucks!! I bet You'll find defenders hanging on and trying to keep defending forwards out of position and I reckon coaches will form plays specifically to exploit this new rule. I bet as soon as the all clear is given there will be a defender with is hand on the new pill ready to rebound. Will a player be allowed to have his hands on the replacement ball before the all clear is given or will it be given out by an official??