Author Topic: House Hunting.  (Read 5855 times)

Dougeytherichmondfan

House Hunting.
« on: June 20, 2016, 06:26:01 AM »
So the darl and I have started looking for our first place together, suffice to say its pretty intimidating.

Wondering if any of the OER's have any hints and tips or personal experience they might like to share? At this stage I'm all ears for whoever wants to lend their two cents.

Cheers all!

Offline The Mole

• Jack Dyer medallist
Re: House Hunting.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 07:18:54 AM »
be carefull of the under quoting to get you sucked in happens all the time

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 07:34:40 AM »
be carefull of the under quoting to get you sucked in happens all the time

Yeah fallen for that a few times. You have to add 20% more every time. How its legal I do not know...

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 08:25:24 AM »
First home? Don't go for the best area first up unless your both on or close to 6 figures.

My first home was in endeavour hills and my wife's was in hoppers crossing.

Kids these days want to jump straight into the big money.

Anyway tip.

www.realestate.com.au and go under "sold" to get an idea of what prices really sell for in ur chosen area.

Good luck
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 10:37:44 AM »
Something in  an average suburb went for 2.9 yesterday....

It'll crash just a question of when

The debt levels are unsustainable
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 02:47:57 PM »
Wish I had 2.9 to play around with...

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 02:57:04 PM »
Dougey,
Work out what you can afford - both in servicing the loan and also having enough money to get a deposit.
Based on that, look at all suburbs which have a median that is just below what you can afford.
Check out the key things that make a suburb liveable ie. retail, public transport, parks, schools, health care, roads etc
Agree trade offs with your missus up front. The reality there will be trade offs - for instance, we agreed that we would live in a house which would need work but not a full reno job so went extra bedrooms but didn't worry about the paint job, blinds, crappy kitchen
Look at those suburbs you can afford and compare their growth against the overall growth across Melbourne.  For example, suburb x might have a  3 year growth 10% compare to melb metro avg of 5. It helps to understand how strong the market is where you are looking.
Some suburbs are growing faster than others  and might be out of your price bracket - see if you can get those suburbs flanking the really fast growing suburbs as they will hopefully be affordable and also will probably grow next.
Then decide if these are areas you want to live in.
 Don't be put off if some of these areas aren't suburbs you want to live in - if there is growth it is a way of building equity.  If you're not familiar with them, don't rule them out - have a coffee in the local cafe or walk the main drag and see what you think.
Might sound odd but you may want to rent out the first house for a few years before moving in, some people aren't even living in their first property but using it to build equity and then moving into their second house.
Go to auctions to understand that dynamic. There is a technique that can really help you which you will pick up when observing auctions.
Good luck, I'm sure glad I'm not looking right now - money is cheap and while growth is slowing of property where I'm living - it won't be dropping anytime soon!!!
Cheers
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 05:08:49 PM »
Just don't move where Bo lived, lots of dark alleys and people crossing the street to tell you things.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 05:19:48 PM »
is "hunting" a PC term to use?

I hope no houses get shot as a result of this.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 06:42:08 PM »
The usual of what the experts say, along the lines of

Dont pay more than 30% of your income on loan repayments. Work out what you can afford from there.

Make sure you can allow for a 2-3% interest rate increase within your household budget.

Get a full offset acct so your pay offsets the loan amount. Also keep 3 months wage as a buffer for getting sick/redundancy etc

Pay the loan off as quick as possible particulary at the start if you can.

Dont forget to live and dont be a slave to it.

Despite all of the above, do what works for you
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 07:06:09 PM »
I am a firm believer in locking in the 1st two or three years of a mortgage into a foxed interest rate. Have recommended this to a number of folks

Gives peace of mine regarding repayments. If rates go up, you repayment doesnt change.

Actually  we've always had fixed interest rates and because our repayments have never changed we have cut years off our mortgage term.

We've paid the same repayment sonce day one. So when interest rates have gone down, we pay less interest and more off the principle

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 09:33:56 PM »
Some great tips, thanks guys. I think we've managed to lock in 4% for 2 years with possibly an option for a third, which is handy ;)

Get a full offset acct so your pay offsets the loan amount. Also keep 3 months wage as a buffer for getting sick/redundancy etc

Great ones Dooksey, will make sure I follow up on those. Specifically I've heard about the need to create an offset account but I'm not sure exactly how it works. Any chance you can elaborate?

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 09:43:07 PM »
Something in  an average suburb went for 2.9 yesterday....

It'll crash just a question of when

The debt levels are unsustainable

yeah by 20% and everyone will call it a crash, but in reality is its a slight correction and will just come back to 2013 levels.

massive land shortage unlike what happened in the states so a us style crash will unlikely never happen.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 10:03:49 PM »
5.8 trillion in debt

The Chinese don't want the crap we dig up anymore
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2016, 11:08:15 PM »
Some great tips, thanks guys. I think we've managed to lock in 4% for 2 years with possibly an option for a third, which is handy ;)

Great ones Dooksey, will make sure I follow up on those. Specifically I've heard about the need to create an offset account but I'm not sure exactly how it works. Any chance you can elaborate?

Ill tell you.my experience. It works in our situation so bare in mind its not for everyone and as always do your research.

Our bank offers a premium loan customer service, whereby if you take out a loan over a certain amount you can an auto .25%-.75% of the standard rate plus get a full offset acct subject to an annual fee.

Basically its linked to our loan acct and the amount in it offsets the loan, therefore reducing the interest, cost and time of the loan but theres a full redraw on the money in the account. Income goes straight into this offset and acts like weve paid extra off the loan (until we use it).

« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 06:17:31 AM by Dooks »
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018