Author Topic: Should we trade Cotchin?  (Read 7171 times)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Should we trade Cotchin?
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2016, 12:15:43 PM »
Well....u wouldn't trade Lids, Rance, Jack or MARTIN, would u!

So its got to be Cotchin.

His being Captain would assure us plenty of bargaining power at the deal
and he's the one out of the top five that we easily cover for when he's out.

Players have worked him totally out and he gets owned by the top sides.
Blame his team mates for not chopping out all u want but fact is, blokes like Judd for example seem to find a way.
He has the personality of a door knocking Jehovah and that translates in many ways professionally.

im in.

I would be open to trading Lids if he wants to seek opportunities elsewhere.

Only three I would never trade are Jack, Rance and Martin.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2016, 12:30:42 PM »
I would trade Cotchin before i would trade Deledio.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2016, 12:45:56 PM »
Matthew Lloyd defended Cotchin last night and said Cotch is much maligned and his past 5-6 weeks (before last Friday night) have been good.

Lloyd - "He didn't hold himself well on Friday night but who helped him out? If Trent was at Hawthorn or Geelong then his opponent (tagger) would know all about it."

If he has another bad game that flog will change his tune

which bit was wrong?

i could see cotchin becoming a very good footballer at a top 4 club

won a brownlow @ 22
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2016, 12:48:29 PM »
Matthew Lloyd defended Cotchin last night and said Cotch is much maligned and his past 5-6 weeks (before last Friday night) have been good.

Lloyd - "He didn't hold himself well on Friday night but who helped him out? If Trent was at Hawthorn or Geelong then his opponent (tagger) would know all about it."

U mean, against all the crap teams that are WPRSE than us?
Sure.
Whatever, the point here is to get the most draft picks to start again.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2016, 12:49:09 PM »
and plus it would be better for Trent.  :snidegrin
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2016, 01:02:00 PM »
Do something radical and unrichmond like ....swap Cotchin + B . Ellis+ helicopter  for Nat Fyfe.

If we always keep doing the same things we will always be mediocre.

Unleash the tornado

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2016, 01:51:41 PM »
This is why we must flick the recruiters and coach.

The reason they won't move anything with value in is because it's oersonal to them.

It's an admission of failure.

Now, in a place where there's no senior accountability I can't see anyone admitting failure.

This is why they're all pathetic, boys club mentality, jobs for mates wankers.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 08:35:08 PM by WilliamPowell »
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2016, 02:17:11 PM »
I would trade Cotchin before i would trade Deledio.

I'd trade Deledio first but I'd be happy to trade both for the right deal.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2016, 02:24:23 PM »
Let's trade Cotchin, Lids & Anyone else of any note and let's get Ol' Man Betamax Jackson a fair dinkum crack with 2 top ten picks and a couple of picks in the teens.  :rollin
And then let BJ Hartley & DanThe Man work their magic to get us some big fish  :rollin

And because they'll get atleast one player right every 5 years let's unleash the development Guru himself "Chocco" Williams and his band of development disciples honing the skills of all our new potential superstars of the competition. :rollin

Then when required,  Damien "Dumma Halfstep Softstick" Hardwick & his best mates in the coaches box will allow these new players to play their natural game, encouraging them to take the game on, giving our forwards every opportunity to score quickly consistently kicking more than 100 points a game, creating tackling machines & installing a great work ethic, nurturing a fierce competitive attitude, creating an environment of excellence and uncompromising toughness, they'll become the most feared players in the AFL, whilst offering a game plan that encourages continuos improvement and desire to achieve greatness and also creating an environment that motivates them to play for one another and smashing the opposition that thinks it can target any of their teammates.  :rollin

Let's do it! Have any of them let us down yet?   :rollin
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Raoul Duke

• Premiership Captain
  • Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2016, 05:55:14 PM »
As tempting as it sounds to trade Cotchin it wont fix the real problem which is the pretenders that are out of contract.

Do something radical and unrichmond like ....swap Cotchin + B . Ellis+ helicopter  for Nat Fyfe.
Damn straight, Lyon is talking about rebuilding over in the west and I'd happily trade a combination of Ellis,Griffiths,Conca,Edwards and/or draft picks.
The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2016, 05:59:50 PM »
As tempting as it sounds to trade Cotchin it wont fix the real problem which is the pretenders that are out of contract.

Damn straight, Lyon is talking about rebuilding over in the west and I'd happily trade a combination of Ellis,Griffiths,Conca,Edwards and/or draft picks.

Yep if they need KPPs they can have Vickery, Griffiths, Astbury, McBean and Elton. Throw in Conca because he's from WA.

Wonder if that would get us close to Fyfe lmao

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2016, 06:32:56 PM »
As we all know, the whole place is like space junk floating in space.
The so called football club doesnt even understand football, preferring to
worship 'The Process" and in the process paying no attention to the actual spirit of the game itself.
I dont mean male comradery etc but more the feel of the game, the confidence to use one's god given talent without having to first think of the process.
Yep.
The joint has got no stuffn soul and all u need to do is look at the clowns who think they're running the show
to understand why.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2016, 06:36:28 PM »
Plenty of clubs have traded marquee players and lived to fight another day.
Hawks, Crows, Cats (a few times), Eagles, Bulldogs  just to name a few.
Name them and describe the circumstances.

Why?

Richmond has a history of either overpaying or overprotecting its best players which has led us nowhere.

The above clubs have let all time champion players and captains go without being overly affected - in fact some have used it to springboard its success.

If your point relates to the player wanting to leave then I accept that but more point is moreso how to club responded to that situation and became a stronger club.
The point is that to have your captain, who has won 3 b&fs for your club, shipped off is a very very different situation to all those ones you described. That's all. And I'm not even a fan of his captaincy!!!

Sorry mate, don't follow you.
For me it's simple - for the exact reasons you stated - he commands a premium.
Given our situation, he gets the best possible trade, probably becomes a better player and is the one we can best cover - particularly if we used one of the picks to get Prestia.
 The alternative of having 5 good players occasionally getting us to 8th on the back of an average list with a crap game plan is intolerable.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2016, 06:55:54 PM »
Plenty of clubs have traded marquee players and lived to fight another day.
Hawks, Crows, Cats (a few times), Eagles, Bulldogs  just to name a few.
Name them and describe the circumstances.

Why?

Richmond has a history of either overpaying or overprotecting its best players which has led us nowhere.

The above clubs have let all time champion players and captains go without being overly affected - in fact some have used it to springboard its success.

If your point relates to the player wanting to leave then I accept that but more point is moreso how to club responded to that situation and became a stronger club.
The point is that to have your captain, who has won 3 b&fs for your club, shipped off is a very very different situation to all those ones you described. That's all. And I'm not even a fan of his captaincy!!!

Sorry mate, don't follow you.
For me it's simple - for the exact reasons you stated - he commands a premium.
Given our situation, he gets the best possible trade, probably becomes a better player and is the one we can best cover - particularly if we used one of the picks to get Prestia.
 The alternative of having 5 good players occasionally getting us to 8th on the back of an average list with a crap game plan is intolerable.
Firstly and most importantly, Cotchin will need to want to leave. We can't trade him if he doesn't want to leave. Secondly, what are people wanting for him?  I would only consider it for a top 2 pick and another good player.  I doubt a rebuilding side would part with that.
It's not going to happen anyway. So we can all argue about a hypothetical that won't happen.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2016, 07:00:22 PM »
Anyone who wants to retain Cotchin is doing so primarily for the fear of the unknown and making tough decisions with unknown consequences

Wake up and get out of you comfort zones - it doesnt get much worse than where we are at. And losing him wont make much difference.

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018