Author Topic: Richmond’s tackling has been shocking the past 10 years .... (H-Sun)  (Read 4118 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
Drop Shank & Grigg for Butler & Rioli and it should improve straight away.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Its not all about tackle numbers but what constitutes an effective tackle. To me an effective tackle is holding an opposition player in a way that prevents them from disposing of the ball in a legal manner.

Very few tackles we lay during games achieve this and with a lack of trust in teammates to make the tackle we as a result have too many players drawn into the tackle so when the opposition player ultimately breaks the tackle they have a free player and a easy clearance.

Its not rocket science but again i dont know if its the cattle or the coaching but our execution of basic elements of the game are poor to say the least.
It's not hard to tackle. You have to genuinely want to, that's our problem. It's 100% a coaching issue.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Its not all about tackle numbers but what constitutes an effective tackle. To me an effective tackle is holding an opposition player in a way that prevents them from disposing of the ball in a legal manner.

Very few tackles we lay during games achieve this and with a lack of trust in teammates to make the tackle we as a result have too many players drawn into the tackle so when the opposition player ultimately breaks the tackle they have a free player and a easy clearance.

Its not rocket science but again i dont know if its the cattle or the coaching but our execution of basic elements of the game are poor to say the least.
It's not hard to tackle. You have to genuinely want to, that's our problem. It's 100% a coaching issue.
100% correct. You can add that the coach can set minimum standards of numbers of effective tackles each player must perform in a game or block of games to remain in the side.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
Drop Shank & Grigg for Butler & Rioli and it should improve straight away.... :shh

: meme generator.

- wants titch dropped bad tackling

- reckons rioli tackles good
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
We lack strong body players who can take it & dish it out. That is why our players look like they freeze when being tackled,  Cause they have not the strength in their lower body to break free or dish it off like a example Shane Tuck. Some players were doing this when Tuck was at the club but stopped. 
Rance is strong, Grimes is fearless & will go all in. Martin is strong & is the reason why he stands out in every game. Teams will just direct the ball away from where he is. They will make him go to the ball & use his energy & fight him when he gets there 2 on 1. He will soon run out of puff & need to interchange. We spend more energy than most teams.  This is where teams will go through players like Miles, Deledio, Edwards, Cotchin, Bellis because they are weaker players in strength. Riewoldt is like Martin, His angry & wants the ball & goes to help, Protect & win the ball. But when he wins the ball their is no angry Riewoldt up forward to win the ball so this is a huge sign we are lacking angry ball winners in the wings & midfield. They are worn out sitting on the pine. They will pick Chaplin,  Houli, Bachlor,  rather than Grimes or Rance. You don't have to be any rocket science coach to work that out. It stands out year after year. While the Tigers build on speed each year which will win games against top clubs if you control the play. More often you will lose games against teams who will go out just to belt you up & wear the body down so your speed is no longer any factor. Bulldogs, Demons, Port, Crows, Roos, are all clubs who do this to the Tigers.  How many times does Rance cop a knee to the kidney. Have many of you seen what these players are like after a game. This is a perfect example of clubs bashing us up to the point where your good players breakdown & the weaker bodies just ain't good enough to carry the side. The Kangaroos are the worst side in the league for doing this type of dirty tactics. The Bulldogs also. This is why teams fight our midfielders during the game 2-3 onto Cotchin & Miles on the boundry or mainly in the defence area & we get trapped in. Dusty can't fight them all to protect the captain & his other midfielders. Lambert, Edwards, Deledio, Bellis, need to start using some dirty tricks if they want to help the team. Its a team game & they are not playing, thinking, or protecting each other like a team. Same goes for the forward line. Riewoldt can't fight them all. Vickery, Griffiths, Lloyd must dish it out. Brandon Ellis used to be a player who done damage by being rough & tough. He is a shadow of the player he was in past seasons. Vickery, Griffiths, McBean need to protect the likes of Rioli, Lloyd. Edwards, Deledio, Cotchin & whoever else is resting up there. Last week we seen a harder Bellis but he needs to be more in the face of players. l expect a fierce Tiger side to come out Saturday night. l want to see the Tigers dish it out to these other clubs. They need to set a example that they are not the weak push over club  :gotigers

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame

: meme generator.

- wants titch dropped bad tackling

- reckons rioli tackles good

Laid 12 tackles in the VFL last week - something Shank's never done at any level.....unless you count missed tackles....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
12 60 kg tackles like a teenage female
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
If they were counted then the player was obviously still tackled.....and Rioli is 18  - Chicken Legs Edwards still tackles like a teenage girl at 27....

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
I know how old they are

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
reckon the journos are trawling the richmond boards these days and rehashing threads and discussions that have been going on for a while amongst the supporter group

Yep, no coincidence all of our rants are now newspaper articles.

Looking forward to a feature article about how Claw is always right and we're all idiots.
Only because the shoe fits.
I keep saying it sooner or later on most things most people come around to my way of thinking. :whistle

Have done similar to this before will say it again. We have 13 players who i would classify as genuine smls. That is under 183cm or 6ft in old speak. I d say most of the 13 are runts or just average afl size. I can only think of one in Drummond who i wouls say is a big bodied sml.

13 Smalls That is getting close to a third of the list.
None are A grade and nearly all  fail to bring an outstanding attribute or two to off set their size.
We look like school boys in games because we have so many smalls and so many skinny runts.

To compound the problem there are at least a dozen other types mediums and talls that are way under sized.
Mediums in Grigg, Lennon,Hunt, Markov, C Ellis, Menadue.
 Talls Broad, Grimes, McBean, Chol, C Moore even Vickery. It has been a very evident thing for god knows how long.

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
If they were counted then the player was obviously still tackled.....and Rioli is 18  - Chicken Legs Edwards still tackles like a teenage girl at 27....

l would trade Edwards. His been there 10 years & seriously has had maybe 1 consistent season. His not a midfielder & should be kept in the forward line as he plays his best football there. Lloyd has had a bigger impact in a short time

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland

l would trade Edwards. His been there 10 years & seriously has had maybe 1 consistent season. His not a midfielder & should be kept in the forward line as he plays his best football there. Lloyd has had a bigger impact in a short time
While i agree wholeheartedly i would not go there if i were you.Besides as a sml fwd he has been crap apart from one short golden period.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
when does macca come back
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
McIntosh is a shocking tackler, particulary for his size....

- Thomas Sowell

tony_montana

McIntosh is a shocking tackler, particulary for his size....

Yeah thats a strnage one bc hes got a very strong core, can see when he just bursts through opposition tackles. If I was to hazard a guess its lack of technique bc hes a strong lad