Author Topic: Do rebuilding Tigers have enough football bite at board level? ... (Age)  (Read 1397 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Do rebuilding Tigers have enough football bite at board level?

Jon Pierik
The Age
July 9, 2016

It's been another intriguing week at Tigerland, with more to come in what shapes as a pivotal year under the stewardship of president Peggy O'Neal, chief executive Brendon Gale and coach Damien Hardwick.

While there has been much focus and debate on the Tigers' playing list, recruiting, development and coaching now finals are no longer on the agenda, it was Jason Dunstall – the godfather of the Hawks' recent dynasty – who changed direction and targeted another important area when appearing on Fox Footy's On the Couch.

Dunstall said it was "very odd, very strange" that the Tigers do not have a football director on their board – the role he had enjoyed at Hawthorn. He also added if he was a Richmond board member, he would be nervous, and thinking: "The decisions that we've made, as in committing to the coach for another two seasons ... and agreeing that we have a strong-enough list to actually get to where we want to go, I'm second-guessing those decisions."

The Tigers preferred not to comment. But it's been pointed out they do have a director of football – former skipper Tony Free. Gale, who played 244 matches, also sits on the board and has a strong focus on pure football matters.

But for Dunstall to take aim at the director-of-football role, even claiming they do not have one, when almost all clubs do, can only suggest there has been private consternation about Free's role.

We can only speculate why Dunstall went down this route – but we know the tentacles in the AFL world can spread far and wide. It could be said he has an inadvertent link to the Tigers, through Hawks' coach Alastair Clarkson's close friendship with Hardwick. Dunstall hired Clarkson, and Hardwick was an assistant during the early years of Clarkson's reign. Fellow Fox Footy panelist David King is a former Tigers' assistant coach.

But his comments have also opened up wider questions about what the board believes is its key responsibility – off-field strength, which has been achieved, or what supporters truly want, that being on-field success.

Those close to the Tigers say Free is a lovely, pleasant man, but there is a view he lacks the robustness needed to seriously question decisions made in the football department. It's said he regularly agrees with Gale – perhaps too much.

It's also been claimed O'Neal had previously wanted him to step down, as he had supported Malcolm Speed's bid for the presidency in 2013. The board, as we know, had been split between Speed and Maurice O'Shannassy, with O'Neal emerging as an alternate leader when peace was brokered.

It's also been pointed out four directors have been on the board for more than 10 years (excluding Free, who was elected eight years ago). Has there been enough fresh thinking?

The board had rejected fixed terms when a review was conducted a couple of years ago. Wealthy property developer Joe Russo was one candidate overlooked last year. But he may not be done with, amid suggestions he is already gathering a ticket to challenge.

Russo told Fairfax Media on Friday: "While I remain concerned about the on and off-field performance of the Tigers I don't think I have the energy to run again. It was interesting last year but I note most of the points I was making in 2015 are even more relevant now than they were then. There is no doubt the club's drive for stability has led to complacency."

On the field, amid a policy of now playing the kids, beginning against the Bulldogs on Saturday night, the pressure now turns to the football department and recruiting.

Will there be a blockbuster trade? Brett Deledio's name has been thrown about in the media, but the Tigers say he will be back next year. His manager Anthony McConville also maintains he will be there but admits to Fairfax Media all parties will "keep an open mind".

There are about 20 Tigers off-contract this year. Hardwick is contracted until the end of 2018. But Dunstall had this to say when asked if, as a Tigers board member, he would be comfortable with Hardwick remaining for next season.

"I'd need to see a very clear vision going forward," he said. That vision comes at a critical juncture for a club almost four decades removed from its last flag.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-season-2016-do-rebuilding-tigers-have-enough-football-bite-at-board-level-20160707-gq17ww.html

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
"Russo told Fairfax Media on Friday: "While I remain concerned about the on and off-field performance of the Tigers I don't think I have the energy to run again. It was interesting last year but I note most of the points I was making in 2015 are even more relevant now than they were then. There is no doubt the club's drive for stability has led to complacency."

Nailed it big guy, especially that final line.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
"Russo told Fairfax Media on Friday: "While I remain concerned about the on and off-field performance of the Tigers I don't think I have the energy to run again. It was interesting last year but I note most of the points I was making in 2015 are even more relevant now than they were then. There is no doubt the club's drive for stability has led to complacency."

Don't know why I do this but....... He has no energy to run again? How would his energy levels be if he actually achieved a seat in the board?

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
In tipping Russo would come mighty close this time round, or are we still driving for stability like some on here were raving about.  :lol :lol

If this report is mildly true what a bloody circus. Peggy sue wants free to resign, free is scared to challenge Benny Fail.

Time for a change. Get rid of these duds by knifing the American and send her on her way along with whoever else is timid to make calls in that club

Benny is saved by the off field stuff but he has truly been the catalyst in all of this. His probably got one foot out the door to the afl
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
lol we finally get an article that points out the whole board makes the decisions yet it is all still peggys fault.

do you really think that anything would be any different if speed or oshannasy had been appointed president?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
lol we finally get an article that points out the whole board makes the decisions yet it is all still peggys fault.

do you really think that anything would be any different if speed or oshannasy had been appointed president?
My guess is the bitching and whining would be at the same levels

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
Epic bordering on legendary
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
tick tock for peggy sue. Russo is waiting in the wings. Her and fail can waltz off into the sunset holding hands.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
In tipping Russo would come mighty close this time round, or are we still driving for stability like some on here were raving about.  :lol :lol

If this report is mildly true what a bloody circus. Peggy sue wants free to resign, free is scared to challenge Benny Fail.

Time for a change. Get rid of these duds by knifing the American and send her on her way along with whoever else is timid to make calls in that club

Benny is saved by the off field stuff but he has truly been the catalyst in all of this. His probably got one foot out the door to the afl
Some of us did argue the point for the two candidates last year to be voted to the board because of the exact same reasons as mentioned in the op.
It was very evident we needed a new  focus and different perspective from people who had not been there.Boy how hard did Benny and the board fight against that change. Cant have the mates being outed now can we. Cant have people coming in with differeing views and home truths about F/D performance.It has been very evident that there are a lot of yes men at the footy club and they all watch each others back.

Seems very clear the club cannot differentiate between off field success and on field failure. They are mutually exclusive operations of the club. One is doing well and as such should be not only making the club financially stable but setting up the F/D for success.

Well we have had success  off field. but have failed miserably imo in the whole onfireld area. There is not one area in the whole F/D that cannot be strongly criticised and each area can actually be rated through performance over a long period. yet if the Board had its way it would do nothing because when it comes to the F/D they are in heavy denial just like a lot of supporters are.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame

Don't know why I do this but....... He has no energy to run again? How would his energy levels be if he actually achieved a seat in the board?

I don't think he's planning to run again?
He has made a valid point - not sure the 2 are linked.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.