Author Topic: CEO Benny Gale guarantees Hardwick's job for 2017 (3aw)  (Read 4080 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
CEO Benny Gale guarantees Hardwick's job for 2017 (3aw)
« on: July 31, 2016, 04:28:21 PM »
Benny Gale on 3aw:

AUDIO: http://www.3aw.com.au/news/richmond-ceo-guarantees-hardwicks-job-for-2017-20160731-gqhk0p.html

------------------------------------------------------------

‘Right with the coach’: Gale backs Hardwick

Lauren Wood
Herald Sun
31 July 2016

DAMIEN Hardwick will coach Richmond next season, club chief executive Brendon Gale says.

And he insists that the Tigers are not “sitting on their hands”.

Club legends have weighed in following yesterday’s 88-point loss at the hands of Greater Western Sydney, with Kevin Bartlett labelling the showing “pathetic” and Matthew Richardson calling for a full review of the football department.

But Gale is adamant that yesterday is not the tipping point for Hardwick.

“No, it’s not,” he affirmed today.

“It’s a very disappointing loss, and given the way we played — particularly at the start of the game. I acknowledge Damien’s comments (yesterday) — credit to the opposition.

“They’re a really good team coming of age and they’ve had some exceptionally strong wins this year.

“They made us look pedestrian at times. I don’t look at the game in isolation.

“It’s been a disappointing year. From the opening bounce of Round 1, we haven’t played well.

“And that’s disappointing. It’s particularly disappointing when you’ve played finals the last three years and we haven’t quite got the job done, but we would have expected to have been thereabouts this year and we clearly haven’t.”

The club re-contracted Hardwick until the end of 2018 earlier this season, but Gale said he will remain in the role despite mounting pressure.

“At the end of the day, Damien has a contract,” he said on 3AW.

“He’ll be the coach next year. He’s been a strong coach for our football club.

“There’ll be considerable learnings out of this year and he’ll be better for it.

“We’re right with the coach.”

Gale wouldn’t be drawn on reports external consultants had been engaged to review the situation at the club, but insisted that reviews are continual and ongoing all of the time.

“Clubs always review performance,” he said.

“I want to assure people — we’re not sitting on our hands just accepting of yesterday and the performance of the whole year,

“It’s not good enough and we won’t accept it. We’re asking a lot of questions of ourselves and our program. We’re trying to establish what are the factors that lead to elite performance and where we need to close the gap we will. That’s an ongoing process.

“There’ll be a time and a place when we’re in the position to share some of those outcomes where it’s appropriate.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-ceo-brendon-gale-has-backed-embattled-coach-damien-hardwick-saying-he-will-lead-richmond-next-season/news-story/db05304326a24193c61376a5365f96b9

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
Re: CEO Benny Gale guarantees Hardwick's job for 2017 (3aw)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 04:29:52 PM »
 :ROTFL
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 04:30:28 PM »
Cue the chicken littles

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 04:32:01 PM »
Hardwick will stay AFL Tigers coach: Gale

Jason Phelan
AAP
July 31, 2016, 1:27 pm

Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale says besieged coach Damien Hardwick will remain at Punt Road next year despite admitting the Tigers are playing without belief.

Gale came out and publicly backed the under-fire coach following Saturday's disastrous 88-point loss to Greater Western Sydney in Canberra in which Hardwick's side managed just three goals.

"Damien has a contract, he'll be the coach next year," Gale told 3AW on Sunday.

"He's been a strong coach for our football club and I think there's some considerable learnings out of this year and I think he'll be better for it.

"I don't look at the game (against GWS) in isolation ... it's been a disappointing year.

"I really think probably from the opening bounce of round one we haven't played well and that's disappointing."

Hardwick signed a two-year contract extension earlier this year that ties him to the club until the end of the 2018 season.

Richmond have bowed out at the elimination final stage of the past three seasons, their last finals win was back in 2001, and they sit 13th on the ladder with a 7-11 record after round 19.

Gale assured fans those at the club aren't sitting on their hands and just accepting recent results, with all facets of performance at the club were being reviewed on an ongoing basis.

But he agreed that the listless performance against the Giants didn't look great.

"Our guys look as though they're playing without belief at the moment and I think they've looked like that for a while," he said of the loss that followed a 70-point thumping at the hands of Hawthorn.

"They've played finals the last three years and that's where they see themselves and I think when it reached a point when that was probably not going to happen they lost a bit of belief."

Gale admitted the club has encountered "head winds" and "speed humps" as it has tried to improve its playing list during a period when expansion clubs GWS and Gold Coast have dominated the national draft.

But he dismissed the notion that the Tigers need to embark on a complete rebuild of their playing stocks.

"It's an overused word, it's very simplistic," he replied when asked if a rebuild was required.

"List development is a continuum - there's no start, there's no end (and) there's no complete rebuild, start again.

"I'm confident with where our list is at."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/32197731/hardwick-will-stay-afl-tigers-coach-gale/#page1

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 04:32:41 PM »
You couldn't make this stuff up
Unleash the tornado

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 04:33:06 PM »
Gale said responsibility for the season falls with more than just one person.

"The coach has responsibility for performances, but performances are made up of many factors," he said.

"It's important that we look at all of those and make measured decisions."

Gale said the Tigers see themselves as a finals team.

"When we reached a point where that wasn't going to happen, they lost a bit of belief."

http://www.3aw.com.au/news/richmond-ceo-guarantees-hardwicks-job-for-2017-20160731-gqhk0p.html

Jackstar 1960

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 04:40:42 PM »
Gee I have heard garbage before but this took the cake today on 3AW
Laughable

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 04:44:58 PM »
Cue the chicken littles

Cue the RCGC orgy sessions
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 04:46:45 PM »
“It’s a very disappointing loss, and given the way we played — particularly at the start of the game. I acknowledge Damien’s comments (yesterday) — credit to the opposition.

“They’re a really good team coming of age and they’ve had some exceptionally strong wins this year.

“They made us look pedestrian at times. I don’t look at the game in isolation.

“It’s been a disappointing year. From the opening bounce of Round 1, we haven’t played well.

:o
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 04:59:02 PM »
cue the george bush mentality.

he really must be a hero of yours?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 05:01:32 PM »
Boot studder must go.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

tony_montana

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2016, 07:04:34 PM »
Gee I have heard garbage before but this took the cake today on 3AW
Laughable

was a pee-er

Offline sugark

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2016, 09:20:30 PM »
As members we deserve better than this, he should be detailing why Hardwick should be coaching next year.  We shouldn't be subjected to continued mediocrity and an inability of the coach to implement a modern day game style because the board made the decision to extend his contract.

I advocate that those of us that are on auto renew memberships start calling the club and changing that until such time that we are provided with some answers and some hope. In an attempt to show the club that we will no longer be taken for granted.  We contributed to the FTF to bridge the gap and make us competitive in all aspects of football, we've gone backwards

Jackstar 1960

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2016, 09:21:36 PM »
Correct

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2016, 10:30:55 PM »
Seems Benny did media street today

Was on MMM as well
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)