Author Topic: Off-field coup brewing: Barrett  (Read 26326 times)

Offline Raoul Duke

• Premiership Captain
  • Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Re: Off-field coup brewing: Barrett
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2016, 07:51:03 PM »
Lol at this being top of the news  :gotigers

"30 guys had a beer in Malvern and said Richmond were Shyte"
:lol
The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Jackstar 1960

« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2016, 08:09:50 PM »
Next thing will be that the club will try and discredit Russo and those involved in the Coup
Watch this space

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2016, 08:35:35 PM »
Ok ok.

Thats all very well and good.

But what the hell has Don Burke got to do with it?
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2016, 08:43:44 PM »
Next thing will be that the club will try and discredit Russo and those involved in the Coup
Watch this space

:lol :lol

The Nylex Clock says hello  ;D

:rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2016, 08:45:26 PM »
Watch this space

wouldnt be the first time. we need stability Jack thats what we need etc etc.

I wonder if the ones who scoffed at him 6 months ago will now change their mind about the current board especially the 2 clowns at the top

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2016, 08:47:19 PM »
keep the info coming son, :thumbsup especially when peggy sue and benny fail are sent packing.

Mail is that Benny is " eyeing off "the soon to be vacant MCC job
You won't see that in the press
Then again you might in the next few days 😉😉😉😉😉

Incorrect in a big way

The Benny to the MCC rumour has been in the press for close to a month now..SEN, The Age, The HUN... list  goes on

Its certainly been in the "press" in a big way

Online taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2016, 08:52:02 PM »
Richmond board aspirant Joe Russo linked to underworld associate

Caroline Wilson and Nick McKenzie
The Age
4 August 2016

Richmond board aspirant Joe Russo has close ties to underworld associate John Khoury, the business partner of Mick Gatto.

Property developer Mr Russo, who has now moved to join forces with a group of prominent and disenchanted Tiger supporters, is understood to have used Mr Khoury to settle building industry disputes.

Mr Russo, who has unofficially mentored senior Richmond players interested in property, has been cut loose by the club after sponsoring the Tigers' VFL team to the tune of $150,000 a year.

Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale recently wrote to Mr Russo officially placing an end to the financial arrangement at the close of season 2016. Mr Russo, who failed in a bid to join the board in 2015, has contributed $150,000 annually to the club.

Key members of the group behind the push for a bloodless coup at Tigerland were scheduled to meet Mr Russo again on Wednesday night although Fairfax Media understands a level of nervousness has arisen regarding Mr Russo's suitability to be part of a rival ticket.

Questions have also been raised about club agitator IT executive Leon Davies, who connected Mr Russo with members of long-standing Richmond families including the Mandies, the Ralphs and the Silks who were at the Malvern Hotel last Wednesday night.

Mr Davies shared anti-Muslim posts on his Facebook page. The posts date from October 2015 through until last month but have since been removed.

Mr Davies confirmed he had shared the Facebook posts but denied this was racially motivated. "This has nothing to do with religion and I'd be disappointed if it was seen that way," he said. "I've got friends who are Muslims."

Mr Russo addressed the group of about 25 disenchanted supporters at the Malvern Hotel and also presented some key figures with the Gale letter which informed Mr Russo his financial support to the club was no longer required.

In a set of relationships which AFL insiders say poses questions about his fitness to become a club director Mr Russo not only has ties to Mr Khoury, who was a member of the Mick Gatto-led Carlton Crew, but many of Melbourne's underworld identities.

Several years ago, the Purana gangland taskforce was told by a credible witness that Mr Russo had used Mr Khoury to demand a Melbourne architecture firm settle a financial dispute on terms favourable to Mr Russo.

It was not alleged that any laws were broken, but Mr Khoury's presence at a meeting to discuss the financial dispute was viewed dimly by police. Multiple sources confirmed that Mr Russo has used Mr Khoury as a consultant.

Mr Russo dismissed this, stating that while he had a childhood association with Mr Khoury, he has never had any business dealings with him.

Mr Gatto, Mr Khoury and another Gatto associate Tom Karas have all denied financial links to Mr Russo and his Caydon Developments.

Mr Khoury was also named in a 2003 Australian Crime Commission report as a person who regularly associates with organised crime identities.

Since 2011, Mr Russo has been a director of at least 38 companies, all linked to developments around Melbourne. Last December, Fairfax Media reported Victorian Building Authority investigations into his previous projects, including findings in 2014 by Boroondara Council's municipal surveyor on a Hawthorn apartment block built by Mr Russo's companies.

The council found a series of serious fire safety and other faults with the building, which the owners' corporation paid about $1.4 million to resolve.

Richmond president Peggy O'Neal, one of the five directors targeted by the group, has indicated she has no plans to step aside although she revealed recently that the Tigers were looking at introducing fixed terms for board members.

Ms O'Neal, long-serving director John Mathies and lawyer Kerry Ryan are all up for re-election at the end of the season with Mathies at least one director expected to step down.

Refusing to respond on Wednesday to reports of a board challenge, Ms O'Neal recently told club members that the board had was undergoing a business review undertaken by consultants the Hay Group.

The Tigers president, who has authorised a soon-to-be-completed Ernst and Young review into Richmond's football operation, has indicated she wishes to remain at the helm at least until the end of 2017. She is scheduled to end her silence regarding board agitators in radio interviews before Friday night's clash with Collingwood.

with Chris Vedelago

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/richmond-board-aspirant-joe-russo-linked-to-underworld-associate-20160803-gqkar2.html
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 09:31:18 PM by one-eyed »

Jackstar 1960

« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2016, 08:52:23 PM »
Might be movement at the station
Hadn't seen it in press

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2016, 08:52:55 PM »
Watch this space

wouldnt be the first time. we need stability Jack thats we need etc etc.

I wonder if the ones who scoffed at him 6 months ago will now change their mind about the current board especially the 2 clowns at the top

Clearly in part directed at me

I still scoff at him

I have no issue with new faces on the board; actually needs to happen but he is not one of those people I want to see on the board

Is it at all lost in you that he only got 1000+ votes last year out of over 5000, surely that says something. I know Joe doesn't wish to acknowledge that but that is a fact.

And BTW his interview in today's HUN yet again proves why I don't want this bloke on the board

Dowd on the other hand (who also ran last year) would have him on the board in a instant, excellent credentials (and yes I did vote for him because I was impressed with what he stood for and his ideas).

Jackstar 1960

« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2016, 08:54:20 PM »

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/richmond-board-aspirant-joe-russo-linked-to-underworld-associate-20160803-gqkar2.html

That didn't take long to discredit the coup
Surprise Surprise
Club getting dirty now which doesn't surprise
Caro doing the story smells as well

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2016, 09:00:48 PM »

That didn't take long to discredit the coup
Surprise Surprise
Club getting dirty now which doesn't surprise
Caro doing the story smells as well

Sorry but this is old news as well.

Comments were floated about this when he lost last year. He wants to paint himself as some sort of saviour he has to expect the media are going to dig to find a story. We sell papers, and this was always going to happen

I ask you this - is there any part of the "story" that isn't accurate?   

the Nylex clock again says "Hello'

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2016, 09:49:20 PM »
LMAO

Our players have closer connections to 'underworld' figures
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2016, 10:06:09 PM »
Dowd and Morris to replace Mathies and Ryan. :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2016, 10:38:09 PM »
Funny, the board  seems to be functional to me , apart from not leading the way for cultural changes within the club, (think modern day Graeme Richmond.)
They are guilty by association though,as the recruiting and coaching has issues, which they may be addressing.

In context we performed badly in one game which would hardly prompt the requirements for sweeping changes.
I would like to see what changes are proposed and what is taking place before I pass judgement.
Now is not the time to make emotional decisions but logical ones. I hope Richmond have a plan that is well thought out and Implemented .

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond board must show us its vision for 2017, says Bartlett (Age)
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2016, 10:54:09 PM »
Richmond board must show us its vision for 2017, says Bartlett

Linda Pearce, Larissa Nicholson
The Age
4 August 2016

Richmond legend and vocal media commentator Kevin Bartlett said on Wednesday he supported the contentious pre-season decision to extend Damien Hardwick's contract for another two years, but said he would not "take sides" in any political stoush.

Tigers forward Jack Riewoldt called for calm after his team's devastating loss to GWS on the weekend, while former Collingwood coach Mick Malthouse said the intense pressure Hardwick faced would not help Richmond play better.

But a group calling themselves the Richmond Rollercoaster has established a website asking Tigers members and fans to support major change at the club.

Bartlett said like every Richmond member, he wanted to hear how the board had viewed the 2016 season.

"What is the clear direction from the board? Or what is the clear direction from a new group that actually wants to challenge?" he said.

Bartlett said he was unaware whether Hardwick featured in the disgruntled supporters' plans, but did not expect that any coup would be – as the would-be challengers apparently hope – "bloodless".

Nor would current president Peggy O'Neal remain in charge should any challenge be successful, Bartlett said, while adding that suggestions former cricket administrator Malcolm Speed was the leading candidate to replace O'Neal had "never been articulated".

"I don't believe any of the agitating group ... see themselves as being president. I think what they see themselves (as) are people coming in with new and fresh ideas. Now if it goes to a vote, that's going to be up to the voting members of the Richmond Football Club to decide whether or not they can see what direction this particular group may want to take..."

As anticipation mounts about a potential overthrow of the board and the future of Richmond's football staff is called into question, Riewoldt told AFL 360 that Hardwick had had just one bad year in the top job.

"All I can say to them is we're not playing Fantasy Football, you don't trade people in or get rid of people, week in, week out, you can't get rid of a good person and then hopefully have him back in two weeks," he said.

"I think the commentary about trading some of our better players is exactly that and I think the coach comes under that as well."

Mick Malthouse, a former Richmond premiership player who was sacked as Carlton's coach during the 2015 season, also weighed in when asked about the pressure building on Hardwick.

"Is it unfair? Well, I define fair as nothing to do with sport, in this instance," he said on SEN radio.

"What I do say is that we're very quick to point the gun at one person, but let me assure every listener that it's not only the coach who gets it in the neck here."

Malthouse said the scrutiny Richmond faced would be reflected in their on-field performances.

"It never improves the input and it only detracts from the style and the way the players want to play," he said.

"So stand by, because it will not be good football over the next month for coaches that are under pressure, because the players also feel it."

A letter purportedly from IT executive Leon Davies, part of a prominent group of Richmond supporters planning a board coup, is doing the rounds saying fans were concerned their club was accepting mediocrity.

The letter said change must come from the top.

"Stability has led to complacency and the acceptance of below par performances in all areas of the Richmond football club," it said.

Bartlett referenced chief executive Brendon Gale's ambitious five-year plan, which was drafted after Gale's arrival in 2009, to more than double membership to 75,000, clear its multimillion-dollar debt and play finals three times by 2014.

"That was a great dream and it proved correct — except winning a flag," Bartlett said. "It was a bold prediction at the time, and virtually all those boxes got ticked and, as a result, Richmond members believed in the dream, and came on board.

"At the end of this season, the present board, or the new board, has to actually explain what the dream is for the members to sign up in 2017? What is the direction of the club?"

As to the impact of more dismal performances on next year's membership, Bartlett said if Richmond continued to lose by 60-80 points in the remaining rounds and did not show sufficient cohesion, effort and competitiveness, that it would have "a massive effect" on the support levels in 2017.

"This (Friday's) game against Collingwood is a massive game," he said.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/richmond-board-must-show-us-its-vision-for-2017-says-tigers-great-kevin-bartlett-20160803-gqjw5v.html