Author Topic: Tigers may be forced to keep contracted fringe players Hunt, Morris & Elton (HS)  (Read 1858 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond may be forced to keep contracted fringe players Taylor Hunt, Steve Morris and Todd Elton

JAY CLARK
Herald Sun
August 5, 2016

RICHMOND will be forced to keep contracted fringe players Taylor Hunt, Steve Morris and Todd Elton for next season unless the club trades them or pays them out.

The Tigers are plotting aggressive list changes at season’s end which are expected to include free agent Ty Vickery’s departure.

Industry sources on Thursday said the big man’s exit would likely snare Richmond a second-round draft pick (currently No. 25) in free agency compensation, depending on the value of his next contract at a new club.

Melbourne great David Schwarz said he believed there would be “four or five” clubs interested in Vickery.

All players’ positions are under review at Tigerland after a disastrous season, with as many as 15 Richmond players still believed to be out of contract this year.

Richmond is set to be one of the most active players in this year’s trade period as it attempts to snare Gold Coast Suns onballer Dion Prestia in exchange for its top pick (currently No. 6)

In a SuperFooty.com.au poll yesterday, 60 per cent of 4090 voters said the Tigers should not trade their top selection in exchange for Prestia.

But it is expected two of Richmond’s most polarising players, Hunt, 25, and Morris, 27, will remain at the club next season after signing deals to keep them until the end of 2017.

A workmanlike midfielder, Hunt has played 13 matches this season, sometimes in a tagging role.

The former Cat will play his 100th AFL game against Collingwood at the MCG on Friday.

Small defender Morris, who agreed to a three-year extension in 2014, is on the comeback from a knee reconstruction after hurting it in Round 11.

Elton, 23, has been on the list for five seasons but has played only two games.

The tall defender was taken with pick No. 26 in the 2011 national draft and has been considered a project player.

Fellow forwards Ben Griffiths and Liam McBean and midfielders Reece Conca and Shaun Grigg are all out of contract at season’s end.

Richmond has been the frontrunner for Prestia all season but Port Adelaide great Kane Cornes said the Tigers should dump their plans to nab the 23-year-old.

“To target Prestia now ... It’s not the right call, they (Richmond) are not in the premiership window,” Cornes said.

Leading player manager Scott Lucas said the Tigers were better off loading up on fresh talent at the draft rather than add the Suns’ mature-age ball magnet.

Richmond has also already traded away their second-round pick (currently No. 24) in this year’s draft to Gold Coast.

“If you give up your first-round pick for Prestia, you are not actually in the draft until the third round,” Lucas said.

“If next year is going to be a rebuild what does Prestia do? Does he help you win two extra games? Do you want that?

“Or would you rather keep your picks and have another couple of kids (in this year’s draft) that are in their prime in three or four years?

“They really should be looking over the next two or three years to acquire as many top-20 picks as they can however that has to happen.”

Lucas’s management stable includes Richmond players Vickery, Jake Batchelor and Jacob Townsend.

Prestia, who has played 95 games, would command a salary in excess of $650,000 a season at Punt Rd next season.

Superstar midfielder Brett Deledio said he had not been briefed on the club’s recruiting plans.

“The recruiters they take care of that and hopefully they bring in good players for us to play with,” Deledio said.

“I don’t know Dion that well but from all reports he’s a great bloke.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-may-be-forced-to-keep-contracted-fringe-players-taylor-hunt-steve-morris-and-todd-elton/news-story/23ddba453ffa97e3c5a98bc83b0d05b7

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
Superstar midfielder Brett Deledio said he had not been briefed on the club’s recruiting plans.

“The recruiters they take care of that and hopefully they bring in good players for us to play with,” Deledio said.

I don’t know Dion that well but from all reports he’s a great bloke.”

Well as long he meets that main requirement to play for Richmond.... :gotigers
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Great job Dan and Blair.......stuffen brilliant!!!  :clapping :clapping :clapping

Only a matter of time before these genius's are headhunted by a top club

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
The two-year extension for Hunt still boggles the mind......
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Here's the full contracts list we've put together on OER for those interested.

Contracts List:

Coming out of contract: Astbury, Batchelor, Butler, Conca, Griffiths, Grigg, Hampson, Lambert, Lloyd, Maric, McBean, A.Moore, Vickery, Chaplin (retired), McKenzie (retired)

2017: Broad, Deledio, Drummond, B.Ellis, Elton, Houli, Hunt, Lennon, Markov, Martin, McIntosh, Miles, Morris, Rioli, Townsend

2018: C.Ellis, Grimes, Menadue, Yarran

2019: Edwards, Rance, Riewoldt, Vlastuin

2020: Cotchin

Rookies: 

Jayden Short - second year.
Jason Castagna - second year.
Callum Moore - first year.
Mabior Chol - first year.
Adam Marcon - first year.
Ivan Soldo - second year (international/non-registered)

http://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum/index.php?topic=22895.msg515679#msg515679

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
stuff me...Shank contracted until 2019......

- Thomas Sowell

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
LMAO @ Shuffling the iceberg ::)
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
clubs in good shape guys

the final peace of the puzzle is francis hackson staying on for another year.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
clubs in good shape guys

the final peace of the puzzle is francis hackson staying on for another year.
Is that the cream?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Great news that Reece Clogger is out of contract.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
The two-year extension for Dimma still boggles my mind.....
WTF did we do that?

Does anyone on this site actually think he is a good coach?

Even when we were winning games, most times the style of play was poo.

Can't tell you how many times I walked away from games we had won thinking we are a very average side. And knew that if a decent side played well against us we would lose.

I couldn't give a poo who is on the board, it's irrelevant to me. But what I do give a poo about is the footy side of things. And IMO we have the worst coach in the comp and the worst recruiting guy as well.

To me it's as clear as day, the way to start to fix up this club is to sack both of those guys.

If you have a good coach and you recruit good players you will be a good side.
Dimma and FJ have had long enough and both have failed.

MOVE ON! 

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame

Yes

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Richmond has also already traded away their second-round pick (currently No. 24) in this year’s draft to Gold Coast.

Caracella and Balmey.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
How the stuff was Morris given a 3 year contract, that shows they don't have a clue. He should have been on yearly contracts... :help
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
The two-year extension for Dimma still boggles my mind.....
WTF did we do that?

Even when we were winning games, most times the style of play was poo.

Can't tell you how many times I walked away from games we had won thinking we are a very average side. And knew that if a decent side played well against us we would lose.

I couldn't give a poo who is on the board, it's irrelevant to me. But what I do give a poo about is the footy side of things. And IMO we have the worst coach in the comp and the worst recruiting guy as well.

To me it's as clear as day, the way to start to fix up this club is to sack both of those guys.

If you have a good coach and you recruit good players you will be a good side.
Dimma and FJ have had long enough and both have failed.

MOVE ON!

Unfortunately bt it was this board, and particularly Peggy Sue who recommended the extension of your dud coaches contract to Benny Fail.

All of your concerns will be the same ones that we talk about next year when he finally gets the chop.

Look at how much the blues look a different club by getting Bolton and Sos meanwhile we wollow n mediocrity with hackson and Blair.

Eat em alive comments from last week perfectly sums up what this club needs to do, but they won't.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.