Author Topic: RFC Memorable Moments #3: KB's 7 goals in the 1980 GF  (Read 8059 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
RFC Memorable Moments #3: KB's 7 goals in the 1980 GF
« on: December 28, 2005, 08:44:44 AM »

Already on a goal-scoring spree in the 1980 finals series, KB snags seven goals off a half-forward flank in the Tigers then record 81-point Grand Final romp over the hapless Pies. In doing so "Hungry" becomes the first winner of the Norm Smith medal.

Bartlett's 1980 GF stats:  20 kicks  1 hb ;D  9 marks  7 goals 4 points

Here's a clip of KB turning Stan Magro inside out on the boundary and then slotting it home on the run:

http://oneeyed-richmond.com/movies/KB_1980GF_G7_OER.mpg  [4.85 MB]

OER's page on the 1980 GF can be found here: http://oneeyed-richmond.com/history/1980gf.htm

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: RFC Memorable Moments #3: KB's 7 goals in the 1980 GF
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 12:34:36 AM »
A couple more of KB's goals from the 1980 Grand Final :

http://oneeyed-richmond.com/movies/KB_1980GF_G1_OER.mpg  [3.3 MB]

http://oneeyed-richmond.com/movies/KB_1980GF_G5_OER.mpg  [4.7 MB]

http://oneeyed-richmond.com/movies/KB_1980GF_G6_OER.mpg  [7.6 MB]

Here's also a longer version of the at the time record equalling 7th goal in a GF:

http://oneeyed-richmond.com/movies/KB_1980GF_G7_LONG_OER.mpg  [6.6 MB]

Enjoy!  :cheers

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 12:56:05 AM »
How scarily awesome was that side in the 1980 finals yet in just three years we stupidly allowed it to dismantle :( thanks to our bloody incompetent 80's admin >:(.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Moi

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 09:17:48 AM »
And how awesome was KB in that game.  At the end of his career and still bamboozling them.
Clokey's last game was exceptional i reckon, but this one was probably the best performance i've seen from any RFC player.

:bow KB

Offline Piping Shrike

• Premiership Captain
  • Nothing today
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 09:43:33 PM »
Freame did well too. Came on near the end, passed beautifully to Bartlett, then kept running down and lay a shepherd for Bartlett for No.7.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 10:05:25 PM »
Too true Moi :bow.

Funny how there were no jumper clashes and Cloke's 33 is easily readable with the full sash .... ah progress  ;D.

Freame did well too. Came on near the end, passed beautifully to Bartlett, then kept running down and lay a shepherd for Bartlett for No.7.

I was only 7 at the time so I don't remember what happened to Freame? Seemed to disappear off the face of the Earth after the granny ???

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 08:15:54 PM »

I was only 7 at the time so I don't remember what happened to Freame? Seemed to disappear off the face of the Earth after the granny ???

Oh to be so young!!

I was 10 when i saw the tigers win in 43

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 12:53:50 PM »

Oh to be so young!!

;D :thumbsup

Mopsy - without a doubt you have a greater understanding of tough Tiger times than alot of us. You saw a flag in 1943 then had to wait until 1967 for another. And now 1980 until .................... :help

;) :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 03:23:37 PM »

Oh to be so young!!

;D :thumbsup

Mopsy - without a doubt you have a greater understanding of tough Tiger times than alot of us. You saw a flag in 1943 then had to wait until 1967 for another. And now 1980 until .................... :help

;) :thumbsup

2007 can't wait ::) ;) :thumbsup

Ox

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 03:36:10 PM »
best team ever.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
KB went mental to maul Magpies (RFC)
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 06:52:38 PM »
KB went mental to maul Magpies
2:52 PM Tue 18 December, 2007
Tony Greenberg
for richmondfc.com.au

Richmond ‘Immortal’ Kevin Bartlett has revealed that the power of mind games helped him produce one of the greatest individual performances ever seen in a VFL/AFL Grand Final, back in 1980.

Bartlett booted seven goals in an outstanding display against Collingwood, which was the catalyst for the Tigers’ 10th premiership.

The five-time Richmond premiership player and 403-game champion divulged in the recently-published book, ‘The Tigers – a Century of League Football’, that the seeds for his magical ‘one day in September’, 1980, were sown the night before the big match . . .

“I used to love to visualize playing. The night before the 1980 Grand Final, I went out into the backyard, where I could kick the ball 40 metres. I had a big gum tree in the middle of the block with a fork in it, and I went out there on Friday evening and I played that Grand Final in the backyard,” Bartlett said. 

“It was probably just a way of reinforcing to myself that I could actually play well on that day. I think the sports science gurus today call it ‘imagery’, a powerful motivating technique.

“I snapped goals, I threw the ball on the ground and picked it up as though I was roving off the packs. I took set shots.  I just visualised scoring goals and being involved in passages of play.

“I would have done that for an hour, because I wanted to so badly play well in that Grand Final. It was in the back of my mind I had played well in the qualifying final and second semi-final and it would be disappointing to not play well in the Grand Final.

“It may sound strange, but some of the things I visualized the night before, happened in the Grand Final. Taking the ball off the pack, running into goals, shooting from angles, taking marks, they all took place.

“It turned out to be a great day for the Club and myself. I was able to kick seven goals in the Grand Final against Collingwood and experience this enormous thrill.

“Francis (Bourke) showed everyone how great he was, for he lined up at full-back. We had now played in five premierships together, winning Grand Finals in three different decades. It was a mighty thrill.”

* ‘The Tigers – a Century of League Football’ is available through the Tiger Den for $50 (RRP is $54.95) with a further 10% discount applying for 2008 RFC members. You can purchase in-store, order on-line, or call the Tiger Den on (03) 9426 4419 and have the book mailed out to you.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/tabid/6301/News/NewsArticle/Default.aspx?newsId=54379