Author Topic: Where were the kids earlier this year Tigers? .... (Brereton on SEN)  (Read 1420 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Derm: Where were the kids earlier this year Tigers?

Justin Talent
SEN
06 Aug 2016

The impressive performance of first-year Richmond player Oleg Markov in the club’s victory over Collingwood has Dermott Brereton wondering where he and other promising youngsters were when the club’s season was still alive.

Brereton was glowing of the performance of 20-year-old Markov off half-back last night, and questioned why only made his debut five weeks ago.

“That kid Markov last night, he’s a six foot two running backman, I think he only had about five contested possessions but every time he was there for the spoil or the intercept, bodily wise he put himself in there,” he said on SEN's Crunch Time.

“He did the absolute right thing and he ran forward really hard. His kicking was good, he’s got some penetration.

“The thing is, that was his fifth game. You can’t tell me he wasn’t ready six weeks ago.

“There is always the opportunity to play kids rather than in times of absolute desperation.”

Brereton extended this disbelief to fellow young player Jayden Short, who also made his senior debut earlier this season despite being recruited in 2014.

“Jayden Short has played a dozen, maybe a tiny bit more games, and suddenly he comes in his 13th or 14th game and he’s trusted to have the kick-in duties. I mean that’s unheard of,” he said.”

“You give that to a 100 game player, you give that to a Grant Birchall… you give it to somebody with that onus and instead they gave to a 13 or 14 game player. That says to me that this kid is made of the right stuff and he perhaps should have been playing longer than 14 games.”

While Mark Robinson agreed that Markov and fellow first-year player Adam Marcon led the way for the Tigers alongside their star players, he believes that coaches have too much trust in their experienced players that playing youth is a tough prospect.

“Coaches keep faith in their players,” he said.

“(They say) ‘I’ve been through so much with you, in finals I’ve asked you to do so many things and you’ve done it.’ I reckon there’s a sense of I’ll back you in until it’s beyond doubt that you’ve got to go and suddenly the season falls out.

“They say we’re in it to win it but they start playing kids and you start getting that excitement.”

David King also says that Richmond need to start playing young players to fill the the substantial gap the club has between its second tier players and its stars, who they rely on more than any other side in the AFL.

“Their top five or six players are stars in our competition, the problem is there is a big gap to the next level. But your top six have got to lead the way,” he said.

“If they don’t, then the next level are not up to it so they more than any other club need those guys to be seven or eight out of ten every week. When they are, they’re competitive and when they’re not, the bottom falls out of the whole thing.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/afl/08-16/derm-where-were-the-kids-earlier-this-year-tigers#8Y2hySX5YIjdBgi5.97

Online Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Where were the kids earlier this year Tigers? .... (Brereton on SEN)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 07:35:42 AM »
Its quite simple, Hardwick is a conservative coach and in combination with his early season delusion that the switch would flick sooner than later led to the team stagnating with deadwood passengers for too long.

Its quite obvious he has favourites so they really had to fail continually before he had no choice but to make changes although he pretty much still didnt commit to the youth path proper until mathematically out of finals contention.

It sort of flys in the face of his comments re us having the best list in his 7 year tenure at the club when at the same time he was so stubborn to actually throw some players in at the deep end. To me it shows he wasnt so confident in their ability as he made out to be.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 07:52:17 AM »
Have to love the hind sight Harry's especially as 99.9% of these types had us at top 4

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 08:01:23 AM »
If Markov had of started playing 6 weeks ago, he would have played 6 games and not 5??
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 08:24:17 AM »
LOL
Lots of people name their swords......

tony_montana

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 08:42:43 AM »
geez.. I like derm but not one of his finest moments on radio yesterday with this comment as well as the dane swan crap... Most here would know I'm not the biggest fan of the current coaching regime but not exposing a skinny first year player until rnd 14-15 is reasonable and not something I'd be attacking them on.

Not playing Castagna, Lennon, Ellis and Elton/Chol for the final 3 games however is another story  :)

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 08:48:07 AM »

I know, play him up forward. Hardwick Genius!
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 08:57:14 AM »
It's an indictment on griff and Ty

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 11:41:40 AM »
geez.. I like derm but not one of his finest moments on radio yesterday with this comment as well as the dane swan crap... Most here would know I'm not the biggest fan of the current coaching regime but not exposing a skinny first year player until rnd 14-15 is reasonable and not something I'd be attacking them on.

Not playing Castagna, Lennon, Ellis and Elton/Chol for the final 3 games however is another story  :)

It's a dam fair question IMHO

When the season was alive why was it only Dimmas mates getting a game
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

tony_montana

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2016, 01:28:46 PM »

I was specifically refering to Markov individually,agree with you regarding the rest - should have gotten more games into the likes of lennon, Butler, mcbean, Elton, Chol, C.Moore

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2016, 01:41:29 PM »

I was specifically refering to Markov individually,agree with you regarding the rest - should have gotten more games into the likes of lennon, Butler, mcbean, Elton, Chol, C.Moore
At the same time I'd be annoyed that these guys get delisted while our superstars in Hunt, BEllis, Houli et al continue the great Richmond tradition of softness and mediocrity.....
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2016, 02:05:51 PM »
What happened to the rest of the iceberg Dimma?

Oh look we needed to keep our experienced players so we delisted it....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2016, 02:26:46 PM »
John brown

"The problem is drafted poorly KPP"

"Too many players from opposition clubs"
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2016, 02:32:09 PM »

I get the sentiment but Lennon has had injuries, Butler hasn't done enough and both Chol and Moore have been bit players in the 2's.
I reckon McBean has been stiff, Lennon was treated terribly last year, Castagna was dropped way too earlier this season.
On the flip side Short, Menadue and Rioli have all been given a decent crack and we are seeing the benefits in their development this year.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2016, 05:23:16 PM »

I get the sentiment but Lennon has had injuries, Butler hasn't done enough and both Chol and Moore have been bit players in the 2's.
I reckon McBean has been stiff, Lennon was treated terribly last year, Castagna was dropped way too earlier this season.
On the flip side Short, Menadue and Rioli have all been given a decent crack and we are seeing the benefits in their development this year.
A bit rough on Butler. He had a knee injury last year and has taken a while to get confidence in his body this year. Has been in the bests for three weeks running. I felt he should've been selected in front of Rioli at the start of the year. What had Rioli done at that stage to demand selection?
Dan just turned 20 in June. Highly skilled and fast, I would have thought he deserves a go in the firsts before the season is over.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.