Author Topic: The pressure kings: Who applies the heat from your club? ..... (afl site)  (Read 1894 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The pressure kings: Who applies the heat from your club?

Nathan Schmook
AFL.com.au
17 August 2016

THE WAY AFL clubs measure pressure have evolved rapidly in the past five years as the correlation between pressure applied and winning becomes stronger.

The analysis goes well beyond just tackles, spoils and smothers, with Champion Data introducing pressure points in 2011.

The points system is a key tool for clubs and awards appropriately weighted points for each of the four 'pressure acts'.

Points are awarded for corralling (1.2), chasing (1.5), closing (2.75) and physical pressure (3.75).

On this measure, Hawthorn midfielder Liam Shiels is the AFL's pressure king, but who applies the most heat in each area of the ground for your club?

RICHMOND

The Tigers rank No.18 in the AFL for tackles, and when you dig a bit deeper the story doesn't get much better. They are ranked No.13 in the League for pressure points, with an average differential of -2.9.

Backline: Bachar Houli is the Tigers' No.1 pressure player in defence, with 10.5 pressure points a game in this area (No.19 in the AFL). Overall it is the only zone the Tigers rank inside the top eight as a team, coming in at No.6 with a differential of 8.2.

Midfield: Captain Trent Cotchin leads the midfield with 33.8 pressure points a game in this zone (No.33 in the AFL). The engine room is a glaring weakness for the Tigers, who are ranked No.17 in the AFL with a pressure differential of -7.8 a game.

Forwards: Sam Lloyd's average of 9.8 pressure points a game in the forward line ranks No.51 in the AFL but No.1 at Richmond. As a group, the Tigers' forwards are ranked No.10 in the AFL with a pressure differential of -1.6 a game.

Pressure king:
Trent Cotchin – 44 pressure points a game anywhere on the ground (No.46 in the AFL)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-17/the-pressure-kings-who-applies-the-heat-at-your-club

Jackstar 1960

No surprise to see Bachar mentioned
Last 2 games prove how important he is to us

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
 :facepalm

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
We don't need to tackle seeing that we control the ball for majority of the game.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
No Rioli?

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
The Mendie family
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
The best pressure for me is still scoreboard pressures

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
The best pressure for me is still scoreboard pressures

And the Tigers have been under that for decades.
Caracella and Balmey.

tony_montana

wo what defines pressure points? I love all these new stats that come from Champion Data but there is little to no explanation as to what they exactly entail.

Do people realise disposal efficiency is one of the most useless stats in the afl and yet everyone bangs on about it when discussing a players skills.

If a player hits a beautiful pass to a teammate and the gumby drops it and turns it over with an unforced error, the kicker is credited with an ineffective kick. If someone blindly throws it on the boot and kicks it more than 30 metres to a pack when he had better options elsewhere he is credited with an effective disposal.

What constitutes a clanger? Because in a collingwood game a few weeks back, Howe gave it to the opposition 4 times in the opening qtr with some absolute howlers and at qtr time he was credited with 1 clanger lmao.

Anyone that watches our games would tell you that Rioli applies more pressure than any other player by a long long way

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
This just prove that some stats are not worth the paper they are printed on.

Houli will short step to avoid going for the hard ball and therefore put himself in a position to perform a pressure act. :huh :huh :huh

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame

Houli will short step to avoid going for the hard ball and therefore put himself in a position to perform a pressure act. :huh :huh :huh

Its funny what some see and some don't, Houli is one of the biggest squibs going round but all some people see is his cheap outside kicks

Jackstar 1960

Its funny what some see and some don't, Houli is one of the biggest squibs going round but all some people see is his cheap outside kicks

Bachar has been terrific
Last 2 weeks been great
Run and carry

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
What's the difference between corralling and closing?

Another thing we are poor at is shepherding.  Its non existent
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame

I actually seen one during the Cats game and said Whoa stuff I haven't seen one of those for a while, think it was from one of the newbies, will probably have that coached out of him

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame

I actually seen one during the Cats game and said Whoa stuff I haven't seen one of those for a while, think it was from one of the newbies, will probably have that coached out of him

I saw one recently too, I was blown away. Think it was one of the newbies