Author Topic: Deledio on RSN927 / Locker room touched by depression, anxiety in the past: Lids  (Read 1398 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The Inner Sanctum with Richmod's Brett Deledio on RSN927am Sports Heaven with Whitey and Mick discussing - Season over, how annoying was 2016?!

- What do you take from the weekend?

- Do you wish people would stop talking about next year?

- Do you agree with Dimma's comments from Monday night?

- How awkward is this time of year at the club?

- Do you think Maric will play next year?

- Who is table tennis king?

- Rance or Martin for the B and F this year?

AUDIO: https://audioboom.com/boos/4945128-the-inner-sanctum-with-richmod-s-brett-deledio-on-rsn927am

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Locker room touched by depression, anxiety in the past: Deledio

AFL.com.au
18 August 2016

RICHMOND star Brett Deledio has revealed the Tigers' locker room has been touched by depression and anxiety during his time at the club.

The 29-year-old midfielder said he knew several players who had struggled with the weight of expectation placed upon them at the top level.

"It's not really a blanket thing, its a very personal individual thing, we've had a couple of guys that probably have suffered from it (depression)," Deledio told RSN on Thursday.

"The only thing I can say is that if we do know of them, or we find out, we can support and try and help."

Deledio said the collective mindset at Richmond currently was relatively positive despite a disappointing season with mounting pressure on much of the list and coaching staff.

"Everything seems to be up in the air at the moment, but the mindset and the mood down there has been pretty good considering all the outside pressures," Deledio said.

"It is a challenge for our leadership group to make sure we're all staying on the right path and seeing not just the mistakes, but also the good things we're doing week to week."

But the 243-game veteran said he knew players who'd battled crippling anxiety.

"I've seen a few teammates over the years before games just constantly throwing up and I never understood and I just thought `oh that's just nerves and whatever else'," Deledio said.

"But you ask a few more questions and they are really anxious about what's going to happen and how they are going to perform.

"Some of these guys were extremely consistent performers but I think every player battles with nerves and little demons. I know I do at times."

Deledio said he was a very nervous player before he learnt to meditate before games.

"You can let it all go and just know that you're playing every moment as it comes."

Deledio dismissed suggestions he had been linked to clubs including North Melbourne and Greater Western Sydney, but said he was getting used to constant media speculation.

The two-time All Australian is contracted to Richmond until the end of 2017.

If anyone is seeking support and information about depression you can contact beyondblue on 1300 22 4636.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-18/tigers-locker-room-touched-by-depression-anxiety-in-the-past-says-brett-deledio

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
stuff off idiot.

Society is full of poo and these little bunnies have zero coping skills....because they don't have to.

Lmao at heaps of depression in the RFC locker rooms.

I knew they were mentally soft and this proves it.

Sorry, anxiety. Lmao.

Even worse.

Have a cup of harden the stuff up.

Sack them

The RFC - Working through anxiety for decades
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 04:30:56 PM by one-eyed »
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Brett Deledio says everything seems up in the air at Richmond (Age)
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 04:30:24 PM »
Brett Deledio says everything seems up in the air at Richmond Tigers

Ronny Lerner
The Age
18 August 2016

Richmond veteran Brett Deledio has admitted that "everything seems up in the air at the moment" at his club as the Tigers' 2016 campaign draws to a close.

After three consecutive finals series, Richmond will miss out on the September action this year on the back of an underwhelming season which has produced just the eight wins to date.

As a result it is expected that a large number of players and support staff will be shown the door at the end of the year.

Despite having to contend with all of the "outside pressures", Deledio said that the mindset of the playing group was "pretty good".

"It is a challenge for our leadership group to make sure that we're all staying on the right path and seeing not just the mistakes but the good things that we're doing week to week and really trying to drive the group to set ourselves up for this upcoming pre-season and next year," Deledio told RSN on Thursday.

There has been much speculation surrounding Deledio's own future this year with AFL greats such as Jason Dunstall, Matthew Lloyd and Tim Watson all suggesting Richmond should consider trading the former No.1 draft pick.

Deledio dismissed reports he had recently met with North Melbourne as "hearsay and rumour" and revealed that rumours linking him to a move to Greater Western Sydney were having an impact on his family.

"I was watching 'Dimma' [coach Damien Hardwick on Fox Footy program] On The Couch the other night and it come up about GWS and my wife only caught the end of it and she goes, 'I don't think I can move to GWS, I don't know anyone up there, we're going to have another child, I'm not going to have any support or anything like that'," Deledio said.

"I said, 'Darling, cool your jets, I think the coach just said I won't be going anywhere, let's not get too carried away'."

The two-time All-Australian is resigned to the fact that his name will be brought up in trade talk for the next few months.

"I'm aware, it's in the paper, it's something that I don't need to really stress about too much ... I think it's all part and parcel of game, really," he said.

Deledio also backed Hardwick's bold declaration that he expected Richmond to return to the finals next year.

"If you don't set the bar high then what have you got to aim for? I'm not in this industry or in this game to scratch around with the turkeys," Deledio said.

"I'm interested in playing finals and winning finals so I fully support him and believe what he says."

Despite missing a career-high 11 games this season due to injury, Deledio denied he was injury prone and the 29-year-old insisted he had not lost confidence in his body.

"It has been a challenging year because this is the first time since I first started playing footy that I've missed half a season. I'm not used to it," Deledio said.

"I've just had an unlucky run, I certainly think that I've got plenty of good footy left in me and I'm certainly looking forward to a big pre-season and playing every game next year."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/brett-deledio-says-everything-seems-up-in-the-air-at-richmond-tigers-20160818-gqv9z5.html

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Why isn't anyone at Richmond interested in winning Premierships? :banghead :banghead :banghead
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Why isn't anyone at Richmond interested in winning Premierships? :banghead :banghead :banghead

It sounds like they're too busy spinning out about not winning one.  :gotigers
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
what a stuffin basket case these blokes are. Honestly what a bunch of pussy's. This was clear to me when cotchins mrs defended him to the local papers.

FMD yeah everyones depressed. here is a thought if you cant handle it then FO

as for you lids good on you mate its about playing and winning finals, but if you make a final then all good aye.

losers, the lot of them.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Here chook chook chook

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
what a stuffin basket case these blokes are. Honestly what a bunch of pussy's. This was clear to me when cotchins mrs defended him to the local papers.

as for you lids good on you mate its about playing and winning finals, but if you make a final then all good aye.

losers, the lot of them.

Anxiety mate. Lol

It used to be called pre game jitters but these buttercups can't even deal with that, so HTF would they ever win a final. Lmao.

RFC and it's NQR recruiting policy.
Cracked eggs.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019

losers, the lot of them.
It was clear when they lost their first final against the 9th place ScumCheats.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
Lucky Auntie Peg is there to give them milk and cookies and wipe their nose.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka

American presidents cause depression.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame

American presidents cause depression.

thats what im saying.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame

losers, the lot of them.

Anxiety mate. Lol

It used to be called pre game jitters but these buttercups can't even deal with that, so HTF would they ever win a final. Lmao.

RFC and it's NQR recruiting policy.
Cracked eggs.

:lol :lol If you think Richmond is the only club with players with a lot of anxiety pre game. Pre game jitters :lol maybe for people that only play local league

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Actually, Coleman medalist, I think RIchmond is the only club who has players that can't deal with it.

What else?
Caracella and Balmey.