Author Topic: Jack Riewoldt says massive loss to Swans summed up Tigers’ 2016 season (Fox)  (Read 654 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond lose to Sydney by 113 points, Jack Riewoldt says loss summed up Tigers’ 2016 AFL season

Ben Waterworth
Foxsports
31 August 2016

STAR forward Jack Riewoldt has opened up on Richmond’s “soul-destroying” loss to Sydney, saying the eerie post-match feeling summed up the club’s 2016 campaign.

The Tigers went down to the Swans by a whopping 113 points at the SCG, with Fox Footy commentator Jason Dunstall describing Damien Hardwick’s men as “witches’ hats”.

The belting capped off a “season from hell”, according to Riewoldt, with the Tigers finishing 13th on the ladder with an 8-14 record. Their average losing margin was 44.4 points — the fifth-largest in the competition.

Asked on Fox Footy’s AFL 360 to describe the post-match mood, Riewoldt compared the feeling of the match to the closing stages of a losing final.

“It was tough to play in, it was embarrassing from the club, from the guys,” Riewoldt said.

“I suppose it was a bit of an eerie feeling (after the game). To be honest, the feeling summed up the season for us. It was just bitterly disappointing, embarrassing.

“I think there’s a lot of cumulating factors there that all boiled into one performance where we were comprehensively outplayed by an exceptional side, an older side, a more skilled side that finished on top and won the minor premiership.”

Riewoldt admitted most of the players that represented the club on Saturday night weren’t ready for senior level footy, but said the club had no choice but to name them and trial them.

“They’ll be better for the experience,” Riewoldt said.

“It wasn’t a great one, but they’ve been there and seen what AFL footy is all about and how it all cumulates into game day.

“But it’s a pretty soul-destroying performance for the players, for the fans and for the club and the fans.

“It was a pretty sour way to finish the whole season and it’ll sit in the gut for a long time for the players.”

Riewoldt reiterated his wish to remain at the Tigers, despite reports and opinions that he wants out of Punt Road.

“Some of the performances have been really hard and they would test the strongest player at the footy club, but I’ve continued to stay strong and continued to love playing for the Tiges,” Riewoldt said.

“I want us to get better sooner and I think I can help with that.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/richmond-loss-to-sydney-summed-up-clubs-season-from-hell-says-jack-riewoldt/news-story/924b8a1017c51cb947c18adcad283904

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
floggings like this are a mental virus, they will get into your head and infect you with doubt
Lots of people name their swords......

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
“Some of the performances have been really hard and they would test the strongest player at the footy club, but I’ve continued to stay strong and continued to love playing for the Tiges,” Riewoldt said.

certainly not the words of a bloke who wants out  ::)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Last day of work before Christmas shut down - hardly the most productive day for any of us .

I wish they played with a little more pride in the jumper but lets face it - the players had mentality checked out .

I think they played their grand final against Collingwood and really pumped themselves up to beat Geelong - that loss against the Cats would of deflated the whole club .
Unleash the tornado

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
I guess this just sums us up in a heart beat. Fans travelled inter state, plenty of players are playing for their careers, coaching jobs on the line. Checked out or not, it isn't local footy. Just unprofessional sums them up. Sydney have a week off this week, they are top of the ladder with nothing to play for if anything risk injury. Yet they played professional football.

We are a group that gives up when it gets tough. Pre Season game perfect example of DimWit culture. Let's call the game off, it isn't going our way.

Call the season off, it isn't going our way.

Pathetic and gutless. Another 2 years of this rubbish mentality.
Go Tigers!

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
I guess this just sums us up in a heart beat. Fans travelled inter state, plenty of players are playing for their careers, coaching jobs on the line. Checked out or not, it isn't local footy. Just unprofessional sums them up. Sydney have a week off this week, they are top of the ladder with nothing to play for if anything risk injury. Yet they played professional football.

We are a group that gives up when it gets tough. Pre Season game perfect example of DimWit culture. Let's call the game off, it isn't going our way.

Call the season off, it isn't going our way.

Pathetic and gutless. Another 2 years of this rubbish mentality.
:clapping
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame

certainly not the words of a bloke who wants out  ::)

I'll start off by making it clear I do not think he wants out which is only my guess

BUT

Please don't take anything they say in the media as gospel.

1. "What I will say is I am totally committed to our football club. This season for us is all about what we can do as a collective." - Patrick Dangerfield, 2015

2. "I know there's going to be a lot of speculation about what I'm going to be doing at the end of the season. I've got no intentions of leaving the (Hawthorn) football club, but it is what it is - I just want to play footy." - Lance Franklin, 2013

3. "I love the club, I love my teammates and I want to be part of the future going ahead at the Melbourne Football Club. I'd love to end my career and say I was a one-club player and I anticipate that will be the case." - Tom Scully, 2011

4. "I do intend on staying at the Saints, to make a long story short. I've been there since I was 17 and I don't want to change." - Nick Dal Santo, 2013

5. “I love the club. I’ve got no plans to leave, it’s just a matter of time before I can get a deal organised. I’m definitely one who wants to sign.” - Adam Treloar, 2014

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sport/afl/news/2016/8/5-quotes-from-players-who-insisted-they-werent-leaving/

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
Last day of work before Christmas shut down - hardly the most productive day for any of us .

I wish they played with a little more pride in the jumper but lets face it - the players had mentality checked out .

I think they played their grand final against Collingwood and really pumped themselves up to beat Geelong - that loss against the Cats would of deflated the whole club .

Yet 10 minutes before this post we "only had one A-Grader".....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.