Author Topic: Board Spill? / Challenge called off/ Malvern Hotel group has re-emerged [update]  (Read 119984 times)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
Re: Board Spill?
« Reply #210 on: September 07, 2016, 11:48:08 AM »
So, U feel members aren't allowed to hold the current board accountable?

Of course not.  Peggy and Benny saved our club and we should worship them.  Without them it'll be chaos.  That's all we need to know.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #211 on: September 07, 2016, 12:27:57 PM »

While I understand your point and I do agree to a point I come back to the fact that they are presenting them as they are required to by law. Obviously internally all revenues like expenses would be categorised on line by line basis. But (and I know I keep saying the same thing) for the purposes of what they must legally publicly disclose they are meeting their obligations. This isn't something that only relates to this club or AFL other clubs do. This is common for large publicly listed companies = the disclose the barest of info.

Whether that is right or wrong is a separate discussion

I would be wrapt to see them give us more detail but as I said until they legally have to; they and I'd estimate a further 12 or AFL clubs wont

This is the very crux of what I was putting forward.
The difference between what is LEGALLY required compared to what is ETHICALLY required and more importantly what is Ethically BEST PRACTICE.
I note the final comments from Gleeson in today's Age.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-2016-richmond-tigers-focus-on-neil-balme-20160906-gra7jk.html
"Clubs are member-based organisations and so the boards and their presidents – at all clubs – do well to remember they need to not only speak for the members they need to speak to them."

I think we've done this particular issue of finances to the point where we agree that while the financials are legal they are not as open and detailed as they could be given the above.
I would prefer we move on from a dead issue and discuss the other issues I raised.

things like cancelling the Fighting Tiger, failure of RFC Official posting, early board resignations and appointments, secret deliberations of the "Star Chamber" Nominations Committee and changes to it's format and processes, muddling of TFT and Jack Dyer in financials, even the re-signing of Hardwick and current personnel changes.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #212 on: September 07, 2016, 01:11:19 PM »
No what?  You don't want more info?

Regardless of which board did what, we should know the make up of our revenue streams.  Seems they are basking in the glory of supporter funded income.

We still can't get clarification of our major sponsorship income FFS.  Seems they'd prefer no one knows.

I've  said I think there should be more detail but legally they dont have to

But you've been posting as if this is suddenly something this board has done,  something they have created

It appears you raising it is another way to give them a whack

This is something that this club and other clubs have being doing for a very long time so to suggest it is only something that's happened recently is simply not true

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #213 on: September 07, 2016, 01:16:17 PM »
I'd like to see...

•   Hardwick sacked
•   The people who gave him a 2 year extension sacked
•   The entire recruiting department sacked

Can anybody put some names next to the second dot point?

‘65

Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #214 on: September 07, 2016, 01:20:15 PM »
Penny
Benny
Other assorted gimps
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #215 on: September 07, 2016, 01:34:21 PM »
I believe their "plan" involves keeping Hallfstep for at least a year to save money and surrounding him with "the best people", retain Richardson and just assume Neil Balme is going to join the club without even speaking to him.....but even if they didn't outline any "plan" at all, since when is the incumbents not having direction or a plan an excuse for the challengers not having one either? Now that's an "hilarious" premise....might've helped get the LNP into government but not for far more important things like running Richmond Football Club...

Of course it's not an excuse but you can't see how some of the people backing the current board and using the lack of a plan or vision to whack the challengers is funny at best? :lol

Oh and I wasn't just referring to the "focus on footy" ticket but also all the others recently, including that "anewgameplan" dude (his name escapes me). Seems to be the go to excuse to not want anyone new in but apparently the same criteria doesn't apply to our current board

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #216 on: September 07, 2016, 01:43:45 PM »

Whether that is right or wrong is a separate discussion

And I believe it's the discussion everyone's trying or wanting to have

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #217 on: September 07, 2016, 01:48:18 PM »
I'd like to see...

•   Hardwick sacked
•   The people who gave him a 2 year extension sacked
•   The entire recruiting department sacked

Can anybody put some names next to the second dot point?

On your third point I'm a bit worried about throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
The following is something I posted on another forum.

I've been a long time critic of Richmond's recruiting.
However I think all this recent angst about our recruiting is a case of the latecomers getting it wrong as usual.

The recruiting in 2012 was barely acceptable  - Vlastuin, McIntosh and McBean remain from our first 3 picks. McDonough, Petterd, Lonergan, Stephenson and Williams gone as well as Knights, Chaplin and Edwards as trades.
Our 2013 recruiting was just better - Lennon, Lloyd, Miles remain with Hampson as a trade. Gordon, Banfield and Thomas are gone.
In 2014 we have C Ellis, Menadue, Drummond, Butler, Short, Castagne, Lambert and Soldo showing good form while only McKenzie (mental affliction) and Arnot as late picks have gone. Agreed it's still early but good signs.
In 2015 we have all our picks showing some form excepting Yarran. Rioli, Markov, A Moore, Townsend and Marcon have played seniors already while Broad, C Moore and Choi are showing positive signs.

So what changed in 2014?
IMO 3 things.
1) There is more and maybe better data involved in decisions. Hartley has talked about a database of players comparing matures with juniors.
2) More collaborative decisions between staff. Adding Luke Williams after the 2013 draft has helped as well IMO.
3) Expanded scouting. While there is talk that a full timer has become part time there is also talk that we have more scouts out there.

Now I am happy to get away from FJ's "vibe" decisions like Dea and Conca but I think it still exists in mature players like Hunt, Yarran, Townsend and Moore but they wouldn't be his decisions but Hartley's.

As far as the pure recruiting department goes I would like to see Williams as the Recruitment Manager replacing Jackson.
Keep Jackson on as a part time recruiter in Melbourne since he's reached retirement age but why waste the experience when it seems to be well balanced at the moment.
Replace the now part timer with a full timer interstate and keep the part timer while adding to the scouting that seems to be happening.

The recruiting is being improved as can be seen by the results. Don't go all overboard when the results seem to be turning in recruitment.
The List Management is a whole other kettle of fish and will be judged rightly by the results that Hartley and Richardson can deliver at the end of the year.

Further to those points, what's really got me worried at the moment is that all the recruiting staff are under pressure to perform.
Will Richardson and Hartley's decisions in trade week be flavoured by the pressure they're under?
Will the recruiting team, particularly Jackson, be also influenced by that pressure?
With all the rampant talk at the moment about Vickery, Lennon, Conca, Lids and Jack it is truly scary.
Unless Gale steadies the ship in this area before the trade and draft periods we could be in for a time where our entire future is decided. 

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #218 on: September 07, 2016, 01:54:09 PM »

player 20174, reece conca
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Malthouse "staggered" by rival Richmond board ticket's plan (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #219 on: September 07, 2016, 02:17:18 PM »
COACHING great Mick Malthouse has not been approached by the rival Richmond board ticket as he remains “staggered” by their plans.

Malthouse’s name had been linked with the “Focus on Football” group — which on Monday called for a spill of the Tigers’ board — in relation to the “CEO of football” position it wants to create if it wins power.

But he said while you would “never say never” about such a role, he doesn’t completely understand what the group is trying to achieve.

“I’m still a bit staggered at what they’re really after,” Malthouse said today.

“I’m trying to decipher what’s their main modus operandi in the challenge, because anyone who’s got Richmond blood in them wants them to do well. It appears they want them to do well but are looking at minimum changes.

“As far as that role goes, certainly they haven’t approached me. It’s one of those roles ... I don’t even know exactly what they’re after.

“You never say never, but you’ve got to see what it entails. Is it part-time, full-time, it is match day? I think until they get their agenda together and know exactly what they want, then no one is going to be really certain why the challenge is taking place.”

Malthouse, who holds the all-time games coached record, said he has been “bemused” by what has played out in recent days.

Mick Malthouse says the Richmond board challengers have not approached him about a role at the club. Picture: Tricia Watkinson
“We all wait to really see what is going to transpire,” he said on SEN.

“It doesn’t appear that they want anyone’s head outside of the board, and have already congratulated the board on getting the club turned around financially.

“I’m as bemused as most people at what they really want.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-board-challengers-are-refusing-to-back-down/news-story/7e77c03fd7e40f4cea538a1811ea2940

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Malthouse "staggered" by rival Richmond board ticket's plan (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #220 on: September 07, 2016, 03:55:19 PM »

But he said while you would “never say never” about such a role, he doesn’t completely understand what the group is trying to achieve.

“I’m still a bit staggered at what they’re really after,” Malthouse said today.

“I’m trying to decipher what’s their main modus operandi in the challenge, because anyone who’s got Richmond blood in them wants them to do well. It appears they want them to do well but are looking at minimum changes.

“It doesn’t appear that they want anyone’s head outside of the board, and have already congratulated the board on getting the club turned around financially.

“I’m as bemused as most people at what they really want.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-board-challengers-are-refusing-to-back-down/news-story/7e77c03fd7e40f4cea538a1811ea2940

FFS even grumpy old Mick can see it

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #221 on: September 07, 2016, 03:58:20 PM »
Senile old Mick.

talks about 5 different topics at the same time when he speaks. 

SEN are regretting signing him on.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #222 on: September 07, 2016, 04:15:06 PM »
Senile old Mick.

talks about 5 different topics at the same time when he speaks. 

SEN are regrevtting signing him on.
Unfortunately Senile old Mick >>>>>>>Halfstep Derwood
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #224 on: September 08, 2016, 08:33:40 AM »
Not sure the rollercoaster group have shown their hand and mounted a challenge yet.