Author Topic: Richmond hasn't been 'good enough' at the draft in 6 years: Wallace (H-Sun)  (Read 1565 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
“The thing that really worries me is three first-round draft picks leaving the footy club in Conca, Vickery and Ben Lennon,” Wallace said on Future Stars on Sunday.

“At the draft table in six years hasn’t been good enough ... but at exactly the same time they went with mature players to try to top up around the edges.

“When you go through this group there are too many fails ... some players that they brought in did a reasonable job for them but you can’t have 75 per cent misses because it means you don’t develop other players.”

Wallace listed Shaun Grigg, Bachar Houli and Anthony Miles as hits, but the long list of misses in this category included Ricky Petterd, Mitch Farmer, Todd Banfield, Matt Thomas and all three of last year’s arrivals Andrew Moore, Jacob Townsend and Yarran.

The Tigers brought in 12 players in Wallace’s first draft as Richmond coach including five top-20 picks and mature-age recruits Troy Simmonds, Ben Marsh and Mark Graham.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/former-coach-terry-wallace-says-richmond-should-trade-brett-deledio/news-story/cb2335e1384f3979e27e4a7789450fad

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond hasn't been 'good enough' at the draft in 6 years: Wallace (H-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 12:30:32 PM »
I think most people can see the FJ needs to be shown the door.
The figures don't lie.
Vickery- leaving/lazy/fail
Conca-leaving/makes easy mistakes/massive fail
Lennon-leaving/user developed/fail
BEllis- I wish he was leaving/soft/scared/massive fail
Vlastuin- ok/needs a fresh voice to help his career/fingers crossed
Cellis- not sold/fingers crossed

Please RFC don't let him stuff up another draft.
FHO now!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 01:16:28 PM »

Good news is he will likely be on  the trade table

Now we just need the clubs interested to cough up those late 1st round picks  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 03:08:22 PM »

Good news is he will likely be on  the trade table

Now we just need the clubs interested to cough up those late 1st round picks  ;D
I don't share your view on what he is worth WP. Not even close. I think a pick around 30 would be a steel for us. But I recon if he leaves it will be a player swap. Then it's just opinions on what player A or B are worth.
Either way, Id buy a membership to celebrate. Get rid of FJ and I might continue to by the family theirs.
I voted with my feet this year by not going to the footy for the first time ever and I'll do the same with the memberships if nothing really changes.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 03:30:08 PM »
11 years if we include your time, Treading Water....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 04:12:27 PM »
All this talk of picks & player trades and we still have Hardwick, Jackson & Hartley regardless of which board wins.  :rollin

It's Comedy Central at Richmond FC. Just break open the popcorn and enjoy the show.  :gotigers
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 05:42:57 PM »

I'll probably cop a lot for this but I don't think Ellis has been a massive fail. Don't take this the wrong way though, I still think he needs to be moved on or pull his finger out (yes he fluffs the kicks and is scared of contact and that is unlikely to change but if it can, he needs to do it).

But he shouldn't have really been a first round recruit. He was pick 15, after all of GWS's concessions. They were able to sign 12 players better than Ellis before they even entered the draft. Factor in their ability to recruit players who weren't previously drafted but had nominated (we did get Steve Morris this way but also Jamie Elliot is another example) and suddenly our pick 15 was realistically on the ~30th best player that was draftable. The fact Ellis also performed reasonably (ignoring the squibbing) early and then plateaued probably makes things look worse as well. But I think we have got a decent return for a player recruited way earlier than he should have been (not the RFC's fault) but it's now time to either move him on or get more out of him.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 06:01:58 PM »

I'll probably cop a lot for this but I don't think Ellis has been a massive fail. Don't take this the wrong way though, I still think he needs to be moved on or pull his finger out (yes he fluffs the kicks and is scared of contact and that is unlikely to change but if it can, he needs to do it).

But he shouldn't have really been a first round recruit. He was pick 15, after all of GWS's concessions. They were able to sign 12 players better than Ellis before they even entered the draft. Factor in their ability to recruit players who weren't previously drafted but had nominated (we did get Steve Morris this way but also Jamie Elliot is another example) and suddenly our pick 15 was realistically on the ~30th best player that was draftable. The fact Ellis also performed reasonably (ignoring the squibbing) early and then plateaued probably makes things look worse as well. But I think we have got a decent return for a player recruited way earlier than he should have been (not the RFC's fault) but it's now time to either move him on or get more out of him.

Yeah but really good players can be picked at 30+ like Paul Chapman or Dane Swan. Sure he's not a total fail but he isn't great either. Maybe it is the coaching. That's what the review must have identified or why dump the coaching staff. Maybe it identified recruiting too and that will play out at the end of the draft. Given as yet we don't have the review it's quite possible recruiting will go too. I think it's mostly our recruiting, for me superior sportsmen show out by their teenage years in some way. We just dont have the recruiting team that can judge cattle.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 06:04:11 PM »
To harp on Paul Chapman he also continued to improve with maturity something Ellis hasn't done. So maybe it us coaching.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 06:45:51 PM »

He is a massive fail IMO. He is a big reason we are so uncompetitive.
I have said it from very early on as what I saw wasn't great from an AFL player. Sure he covered it up with getting cheap kicks but he did in his first year what he does now. It's just now people have caught on.
The worst bit about Ellis is  he does have some AFL attributes but being to scared to make mistakes makes him a liability.
All the other stuff you wrote may be correct but it doesn't change the above.

Send the little prick packing.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 09:12:58 PM »

Wash that mouth out
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 09:56:59 PM »
[
I don't share your view on what he is worth WP. Not even close. I think a pick around 30 would be a steel for us. But I recon if he leaves it will be a player swap. Then it's just opinions on what player A or B are worth.
Either way, Id buy a membership to celebrate. Get rid of FJ and I might continue to by the family theirs.
I voted with my feet this year by not going to the footy for the first time ever and I'll do the same with the memberships if nothing really changes.

Fair enough, no issue with what you are sayong.

I'm just going by a few whispers I've heard and from that i get the feeling that he is rated by other clubs (who knows why but lets encourage it I say  ;D).  Late 1st rounder or early 2nd rounder is gettable

So based on that ive applied the philosophy that it is those we don't rate that usually have the most currency in the market place. Great example in years gone by was Dan Jackson. Rate incredibly highly by the industry but not so by the fans  :thumbsup

Looking forward to see if they have the courage to move him on
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 10:36:45 PM »
After all the criticism in recent days about us losing three first rounders, do you really think the club will have the balls to let a fourth go as well now?
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 10:39:29 PM »
After all the criticism in recent days about us losing three first rounders, do you really think the club will have the balls to let a fourth go as well now?
Yes good point.
Plus we have no balls.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 10:44:55 PM »
[

Fair enough, no issue with what you are sayong.

I'm just going by a few whispers I've heard and from that i get the feeling that he is rated by other clubs (who knows why but lets encourage it I say  ;D).  Late 1st rounder or early 2nd rounder is gettable

So based on that ive applied the philosophy that it is those we don't rate that usually have the most currency in the market place. Great example in years gone by was Dan Jackson. Rate incredibly highly by the industry but not so by the fans  :thumbsup

Looking forward to see if they have the courage to move him on
When you say "whispers I've heard," are they coming from the RFC or another club? And if another club, who?
I just find it almost impossible to believe that other clubs that would have watched him closely can come to that conclusion.
I recon if you asked 100 people who actually know a bit about the game would tell you he is a cat.