Author Topic: Wood warns Richmond fans not to 'whinge' under current board in 2017 (Age)  (Read 2700 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Wood warns Richmond fans not to 'whinge' under current board in 2017

Ronny Lerner
The Age
7 September 2016

Prospective Richmond board member Bryan Wood has warned the club's supporters not to "whinge" and will have to "cop it" if the team has another poor season next year under the current administration.

Wood, a three-time Richmond premiership player, is part of the Focus On Footy ticket, which is calling on the incumbent board to stand down due to a prolonged lack of on-field success.

The current Richmond Football Club board has been challenged by a collection of Tigers supporters calling itself Focus on Football.

According to Wood, his rebel group has plenty of support and would be prepared to call an extraordinary general meeting to take power, despite it being an expensive undertaking.

But if they didn't get voted in, Wood said Richmond supporters should get used to more of the same poor results which dogged their 2016 campaign.

"The phone is just ridiculous ... The support has been quite amazing, I've had previous board members of Richmond Football Club ring me and say, 'I'll support if you need something done behind the scenes,' " Wood told SEN on Tuesday.

"We need the support of the 60,000 members. Some people are saying, 'Same old, same old', well if you are prepared to accept and continue with the same group, then next year, round 10 when we're 3-7, don't start jumping up and down as a supporter, don't start whinging about, 'This is crap', and, 'This is no good'.

"If you're prepared to accept that, then cop it."

Wood said he would look at trying to bring back someone like Kevin Sheedy to the club in a mentoring or advisory role if his ticket was successful.

Sheedy, who was also a triple premiership player with the Tigers, is in an ambassadorial role with the Bombers.

"That's the quality of person we would be looking for," Wood said.

"Kevin is quite ensconced and secure at Essendon, but if we can get that type of person back to Richmond to help bring about this success that we want – obviously, yes.

"Kevin is a great performer and that's why Essendon got him back there to help bring about unity at the Essendon footy club."

Wood believes the review of the Richmond football department should have happened five years ago.

"Results at Richmond have been horrendous last for the last five, eight, 10 years," Wood said.

"Finishing eighth, ninth, 12th, 14th – that's not success."

If the Focus On Footy group were successful in toppling the board, Wood would be a footy director but, in an apparent veiled swipe at the current administration, said he would happily step down if the club remained unsuccessful on-field in the years to come.

"Success, we believe, is finishing in the top four, playing in a grand final," he said.

"In nine years' time, if I'm still on the board and we're finishing 10th and 12th, you won't have to fight to get me off the board – I'll hand over the keys."

One on-field issue that baffles Wood is the absence of Jack Riewoldt from the leadership group.

"I see Jack as a major leader of the club ... there needs to be questions asked of the leadership, I think he's a natural leader," he said.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-2016-bryan-wood-warns-richmond-fans-not-to-whinge-if-tigers-struggle-under-current-board-in-2017-20160906-gr9n5r.html

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
Re: Wood warns Richmond fans not to 'whinge' under current board in 2017 (Age)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 04:28:57 AM »
Thought we had 70000 members

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 06:05:01 AM »
LOL

The idiots that have rolled out Bryan Wood to do the media preaching are flogs.

He sounds like a bumbling old fool. We would be stuffed if he ever finds his way onto our Board

Didn't have a sensible or articulate answer to anyone of Francis or Tim's questions

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 06:30:59 AM »
LOL

He sounds like a bumbling old fool. We would be stuffed if he ever finds his way onto our Board

Didn't have a sensible or articulate answer to anyone of Francis or Tim's questions

Agree

He's already written off 2017 under either group and his don't whinge comment was .. well insulting.

Is he saying members are not allowed to have a whinge if his group get elected???

As I said yesterday he mumbled, stumbled and bumbled his way throw that interview

And interesting no talk back calls allowed .... what were you & your group scared of Mr Wood???

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 06:50:06 AM »
He should just go back to the wing and line up on Keith Greig..... :wallywink
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 07:31:57 AM »
Get Sheedy back as an ambassador?.....you have to be kidding.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 08:03:40 AM »
As incompetent as this challenge group appears to be they'd be an upgrade on the current group lol. 
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 09:56:01 AM »
As incompetent as this challenge group appears to be they'd be an upgrade on the current group lol.

Indeed
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 10:00:24 AM »
He should just go back to the wing and line up on Keith Greig..... :wallywink
:clapping :lol
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 10:37:56 AM »

Indeed

yep
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 11:17:40 AM »

LOL - No love for Peggy et al given their unforgivable resigning of Hardwick, however, seriously the challengers are a bunch of hacks.  I doubt they could run a pee up in a brewery with a fist full of fifties let alone our footy club.  Everytime they open their mouth the AFL world laughs at us.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 01:21:19 PM »

LOL - No love for Peggy et al given their unforgivable resigning of Hardwick, however, seriously the challengers are a bunch of hacks.  I doubt they could run a pee up in a brewery with a fist full of fifties let alone our footy club.  Everytime they open their mouth the AFL world laughs at us.

As opposed to th current mob?
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 01:35:00 PM »
LOL

Agree

He's already written off 2017 under either group and his don't whinge comment was .. well insulting.

Is he saying members are not allowed to have a whinge if his group get elected???

As I said yesterday he mumbled, stumbled and bumbled his way throw that interview

And interesting no talk back calls allowed .... what were you & your group scared of Mr Wood???

Funny how quick you are to jump down woods throat, or anyones throat that dares question the current regime. So he mumbled well fmd how unprofessional of him.

William instead of telling us what is so wrong with the challengers tell us what is right with the current regime and why they should stay??

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 01:41:02 PM »
LOL

Agree

"We need the support of the 60,000 members. Some people are saying, 'Same old, same old', well if you are prepared to accept and continue with the same group, then next year, round 10 when we're 3-7, don't start jumping up and down as a supporter, don't start whinging about, 'This is crap', and, 'This is no good'.

What's insulting about that?

::)

The way I read that is - if u are happy to have moron penny and Dimma in charge for another 12 months don't be shocked o Richmond sucks balls yet again

Seems logicL

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 02:33:47 PM »
If I am not voted in the vote was rigged!
Lots of people name their swords......