Author Topic: "Good VFL footy transfers into good AFL footy" - McRae (RFC site)  (Read 1424 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
"Good VFL footy transfers into good AFL footy" - McRae (RFC site)
« on: September 13, 2016, 10:27:44 PM »
McRae proud of VFL Tigers' development

richmondfc.com.au
13th September 2016

“I spoke to the players at the end of the season about a timeline of events that were significant and I remember the Frankston game, we lost our flair…” McRae said.

“It was significant because after the game the siren went; we had players laying on the ground.

“It was Round 3 and we had guys laying on the ground like we had lost the grand final.”

Ten rounds later the VFL Tigers were dealt a narrow two-point loss at the hands of the then ladder-leading Scorpions - but it proved a turning point for McRae’s side.

“It was a bit of affirmation for how far we’d come and it really kick-started the rest of the season for us,” McRae said.

However, the most disappointing result of the year came the following week - a nail-biting nine-point loss to Footscray.

“I was pretty frustrated, because we were five goals up and like I said the week before against Casey, we should have won that game,” McRae said.

“I was pretty angry because I thought the group just didn’t know how to win and I challenged them.

“I challenged the leaders that we weren’t going to do that again and I said ‘We’ve got six games to go, and we’re going to win every single one of them…’.

McRae’s post-game speech resonated with his group, who delivered six consecutive wins to finish the season on a high.

For McRae, another positive was Tigers’ senior coach Damien Hardwick blooding 10 debutants in 2016.

“You can measure the success of the program on wins and losses but you look at Jayden Short and Oleg Markov, those guys in particular, on the back of good form at VFL level - they become good AFL players,” he said.

“I’m pretty proud, and 10 debutants is an example of that – good VFL footy transfers into good AFL footy.”

While ultimately pleased with the VFL program’s development, McRae has his sights set on a more competitive 2017.

“We’ll start the race again at the start like everyone else does,” he said.

Full article: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2016-09-13/mcrae-proud-of-vfl-tigers-development

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: "Good VFL footy transfers into good AFL footy" - McRae (RFC site)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 10:33:41 PM »
I like the cut of this guy's jib.

Says things clearly and demands performance. More importantly he gets guys to perform. We haven't had a good seconds coach since Andy Collins. An inspired appointment for a change by our club.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

naturaldisaster

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 10:37:06 PM »
He has done an excellent job, there was even a suggestion he may be promoted in the article regarding FD changes.

Senior development coach please.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 10:41:56 PM »
"I’m pretty proud, and 10 debutants is an example of that – good VFL footy transfers into good AFL footy.”

OH yes, then we delist them...
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 10:49:31 PM »
"I’m pretty proud, and 10 debutants is an example of that – good VFL footy transfers into good AFL footy.”

OH yes, then we delist them...
And keep Houli, Grigg and Hampson! :gotigers

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 11:03:00 PM »
Have I missed something?

We got smashed by everyone early in the year... Then when we put back the likes of Lambert, Vickery, Conca, Miles, Lennon etc. plus Kirby into the 2nds we won a few games late in the season to finish 9th...

Why all the praise?

Go Tigers!

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 11:07:09 PM »
Have I missed something?

We got smashed by everyone early in the year... Then when we put back the likes of Lambert, Vickery, Conca, Miles, Lennon etc. plus Kirby into the 2nds we won a few games late in the season to finish 9th...

Why all the praise?
We played direct footy in the last 6 games. So it was the style more than the results that stood out for me. Very unHardwick like.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 11:16:52 PM »
McRae & Halfstep should swap roles.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 12:06:07 AM »
VFL Richmond must be kicking itself for losing so many winnable games early in the season.
Unleash the tornado

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 11:47:29 PM »
So why delist Marcon?

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 12:08:20 AM »
So why delist Marcon?

Why give up an AFL spot for a VFL player

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 06:49:37 AM »
So why delist Marcon?

Why give up an AFL spot for a VFL player

The problem here is not whether he is an AFL player or a VFL player. The problem here is the mixed messages the players get.

The message given is if you play well in the seconds you will be rewarded with a senior spot. The two best performing players in the last two years not only were given precious few opportunities a senior level, they were delisted at the end of the year.

That means the players become disillusioned as they have no idea what they need to do to win senior selection and remain on the list. It also confuses the fans.

It raises questions such as why even pick up such a player in the first place? He's rookie listed, plays a blinder of a season in the VFL, elevated and played in the seniors for only two games, the second of which was a pretty handy 24 possession game, then dropped never to return. Wow!

Hardwick seems to have no direction in what he expects of the players and it shows up in every facet of the club including game plan, team selection and individual player goals.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 07:18:45 AM »
So why delist Marcon?
Maybe it was Marcon's wish.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 12:24:00 PM »
Didn't Half step once say that if you spend too much time in the VFL you become a VFL standard player, or something like that? 
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 12:44:24 PM »
"Good Vfl footy results in getting delisted"

Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus