Author Topic: Rance leads way in Richmond’s trademark values, so shouldn’t he be captain? (HS)  (Read 4189 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Alex Rance leads the way in Richmond’s trademark values, so shouldn’t he be captain?

JON RALPH
Herald Sun
September 14, 2016

SEPARATE incidents across a remarkable weekend should make Richmond’s hierarchy think deeply as they navigate the path back to respectability.

After a season where the Tigers could have self-destructed, Neil Balme’s acquisition, Dion Prestia’s commitment and Focus of Footy’s ineptitude have dragged the Tigers back from the brink.

It doesn’t mean there aren’t massive decisions with real consequences ahead.

At Thursday’s Jack Dyer Medal count Alex Rance won the club’s Francis Bourke Award for the player who upholds the club’s trademarks values of “awareness, united, relentless and discipline”.

He accepted it for fourth time in a row and fifth time in six seasons on the same night he was unlucky to be beaten into second place in the best and fairest by Dustin Martin.

One of Balme’s first roles at Richmond is to consider the club’s player leadership model, so he is sure to consider the criteria for that award.

It makes fascinating reading given it seems to marry up with every principle an AFL captain should strive for.

Awareness is about a player’s ability to focus on teammates, disciplined and united is playing for the benefit of the team and relentless is about being bold in attacking the game.

If Rance is head and shoulders above the rest in helping others, carrying out the game plan and helping unite the team, why isn’t he Richmond’s captain?

Or at least Richmond’s co-captain for 2017, in concert with Trent Cotchin?

If clubs want their team to play in the mould of their captain, Rance is charismatic, inclusive and an on-field beast who plays aggressive, consistent win-at-all-costs football.

Last off-season so many pushed for Jack Riewoldt as the club’s captain, unaware he wasn’t in the five-man leadership group and by Richmond’s admission not that close to it either.

It is worth noting that one of Balme’s first steps when he arrived at Geelong late in 2007 was to make the decision to change the captain from Steven King to key defender Tom Harley.

Cotchin’s first two-thirds of the year were exceptional — playing courageously a week after a fractured cheekbone and the same week he spent time in hospital for an infection.

But if Balme is examining everything else in the football department might he find after four years as skipper, Cotchin is prepared to share the load or even lighten it by handing the mantle on?

Would giving him a year free of the myriad responsibilities of captaincy — or sharing them with Rance — actually help him be more productive when he crosses the line?

Across town on Sunday in the VFL Aaron Francis — Essendon’s No.6 pick from the 2015 draft — was again showing glimpses that he might end up the best of that amazing collection of talent.

He is just something else, with sure hands, a commanding presence and a bushy red beard that will give him a large slice of cult hero status in years to come.

The trick for Richmond is to get Dion Prestia without handing over the No.6 selection it currently holds.

Given Richmond’s draft history, giving up pick 6 for a 23-year-old highly accomplished midfielder is an extremely solid play with little risk.

Retaining that pick 6 and also getting Prestia would probably take a trade that would include a draft pick and one or more of Brett Deledio and Brandon Ellis.

Neither seem inclined to go north, but given Gold Coast wants midfielders, would they accept a second round compensation pick (for Tyrone Vickery) as well as Ellis and Reece Conca or first-round pick Ben Lennon? Or a combination of some of those assets?

In this year’s best-and-fairest Shane Edwards finished 12th, Nick Vlaustin ninth, Ellis equal seventh, Tyrone Vickery 18th and Ben Griffiths 20th.

None of those positions are enough to exclude those high draft picks from the trade table given Richmond’s year from hell.

The bleeding has been stemmed at Richmond, but what the club does next will instruct whether it contend for finals as its coach hopes or is a bottom-four side as Kevin Bartlett predicts.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/alex-rance-leads-the-way-in-richmonds-trademark-values-so-shouldnt-he-be-captain/news-story/6a40c0f1ed4877a5e6f88c8a099d0a6a

Ruanaidh

It is as plain as the nose on your face that the 'bookends' (Rance/Reiwoldt) should co-captain.

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
Agree with this now.  Trent needs to step down and Rance is the better captaincy option. Cotchy should also be playing at half back. 

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
Lebron james could be captian - Dimma Hampson Houli grigg and friends will continue to Shyte
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Let's face it, at best we will have co-captains in Cotch and Rance. The club hasn't got the balls to make tough calls and basically sack Cotch as captain.

I hope Balme comes in and goes WHACK!

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Really good article by Ralphy

Hard not to argue against the case his put forward

But i cannot see there being any change.

But gettijg leadership right at the club needs to be a priority. Getting it right will have (should have) positive impacts in other areas eg in development
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
Let's face it, at best we will have co-captains in Cotch and Rance. The club hasn't got the balls to make tough calls and basically sack Cotch as captain.

I hope Balme comes in and goes WHACK!

And what difference would it make?
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
What if he holds us to Ranceom
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
What if he holds us to Ranceom
Has anyone told you you'd make an excellent lyricist Ox?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rance was interviewed yesterday and said it's not something he's thought about (him replacing Cotchin as captain) and that Cotch will be his captain for the years to come.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Well the good Doctor, Doc Hiscock reckon Cotch should be replaced but wouldn't enlighten us with who he thought it should be  :rollin

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Well the good Doctor, Doc Hiscock reckon Cotch should be replaced but wouldn't enlighten us with who he thought it should be  :rollin
You are not a fan of Cotch's leadership so it's surprising that you want to question someone that doesn't want him as captain??
Is the good Doc not aloud an opinion on his club and player?

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
You are not a fan of Cotch's leadership so it's surprising that you want to question someone that doesn't want him as captain??

Everyone is entitled to an opinion

I think I repeated that time and time again. When I voice mine and it's different to others I usually get told by some folks I am wrong  ;D :thumbsup

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame

Everyone is entitled to an opinion

I think I repeated that time and time again. When I voice mine and it's different to others I usually get told by some folks I am wrong  ;D :thumbsup
That's because you usually are.  :thumbsup
They say opinions are like arseholes, everyone's got one.

On Cotch I think he should get back to basics of simply playing footy. Watch some old tapes of himself as I think he is playing like a robot.
He is an a grade footballer at his best but seems to be weighed down with the responsibility of the captaincy.
Why do we think it nessessay to have the same captain for long periods of time?
It can work against players that dont need the extra pressure. But it can also make players better.

I also don't agree that the players should pick the captain, they don't pick the coach and it's as important.
Jack would thrive on it IMO.
Rance is just a star that it wouldn't affect either way.

It would be one of many changes I would make to this basket case of a footy club.

Are we looking at anyone else DECENT in this up coming trade period?
Prestia would be nice but surely we can do more than that??

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
Agree that it seems to be a burden for Cotch. I think it would be best for all of he handed it over to Rance or Jack.