Author Topic: How did we all rate our trade period?  (Read 10960 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: How did we all rate our trade period?
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2016, 04:27:29 AM »
The AFL website gave us a "B".

RICHMOND

In: Dion Prestia, Toby Nankervis, Josh Caddy, picks 27, 56, 2017 first-round pick (Geelong), 2017 third-round pick (GWS)
Out: Brett Deledio, Ty Vickery, picks 6, 46, 64, and 2017 second-round pick   

Win: Midfield depth and class, a desperately needed ruckman, a first-round pick next year
Lose: A 243-game star, a flexible ruck-forward, Their highest pick in the draft since 2010 

2016 draft picks: 27, 56, 82 and 100

What couldn’t they get done?
The Tigers' regret would be losing their position in the top 10 of the draft. That was an unrealistic goal, however, when they were attempting to lure a highly rated player like Prestia, who walks into the midfield.

Nathan Schmook’s verdict
The midfield issues that have long plagued the Tigers might finally have been addressed with the addition of Prestia and Caddy. With both 24, they can help the Tigers immediately while also being long-term prospects if a rebuild is required. Deledio's exit also netted a good return, with future first and third-round picks coming in for the 29-year-old. A second-round pick as compensation for Ty Vickery was a remarkable result.

Rating: B

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-20/trade-verdict-how-did-your-club-fare-during-the-trade-period

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2016, 04:29:42 AM »
Pelchen gave us an "A" (8 1/2 out of 10).

RICHMOND

Who Left: Tyrone Vickery (Hawthorn), Brett Deledio (GWS Giants)

Who Arrived: Dion Prestia (Gold Coast), Toby Nankervis (Sydney), Josh Caddy (Geelong)

Draft Picks: 27, 56, 82

Champion Data says: “I thought they were probably the second best team in the trade period behind Gold Coast. Hopefully what this does is bring in two players that can play midfield, which will free up Dustin Martin to play forward. When he’s having his biggest impact is when he’s playing 50 per cent midfield and 50 per cent forward.”

Chris Pelchen says: “I know they’re an easy club to criticise, but congratulations to them. They’ve done extremely well. Picking up Prestia and Caddy, they’ve got some guys with serious numbers — it’s really going to help their midfield. They’ve also picked up a future first-round selection to top that off.”

Grade: 8.5/10

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-trades-2016-report-cards-every-clubs-exchange-period-graded/news-story/e2f5153498350c7b15dce95b94da22b3

---------------------------------------------

From the Herald-Sun:

RICHMOND

GAINED: Josh Caddy, Dion Prestia, Toby Nankervis

LOST: Brett Deledio, Ty Vickery

DRAFT PICKS: 27, 56, 82, 100, 118, 136

Finished with a roar, jagging Prestia, Caddy and Nankervis at the death. The first two give grunt and power to the existing polish and Nankervis is a young ruckman with a big future. Dimma’s job security goes up after Richmond’s best off-season in years.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-trade-period-2016-report-card-who-did-your-club-gain-and-lose/news-story/be7c8f6ca7910398a780f1f811f64680

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2016, 03:50:34 PM »
The decision to let Ty go was the right decision. His last season at the club was woeful. I think Hawthorn will get the best out of him. The compensation we got for him was very good. Lets hope they do not waste the compensation pick.

I was a big fan of Caddy when he was at the Gold Coast. Prestia and Caddy are still young, both are good at getting contested possessions and both can tackle particularly Caddy. Their recruitment will help Miles, Cotchin and Martin significantly in getting contested possession an area we have struggled in since Tuck left the club.  Their recruitment hopefully will mean that Grigg will never be play in the centre again.

I am sad to see Lids go. He was a great player. His kicking particularly for goal from distance and his marking whether on the lead or overhead was pure class. We will miss his speed as well. But the decision to let him go was the right one for the club and player. He deserves to have success. The amount of crap he has put up with since being recruited is admirable. I respect his decision completely. Lids is at the end of his career and the club needed to find a way of not being so dependent on him.

If Toby Nankervis can take a contested grab, is good at tackling and is at hard at the contest his recruitment will be a wise decision. Sad to say but going for unknown is still better than relying on Hampson.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2016, 05:38:05 PM »
QUESTION FROM DAVID: Would like to know what you think of The Tigers trades.

Buckenara:
Caddy and Prestia add to the midfield but is it midfield players Richmond need as a priority? Nankervis is a workhorse type player that can ruck and go forward. Losing Deledio, even though his body has not been great, when Deledio plays well and is in the team Richmond usually play well. So only time will tell how this will work out but again, Deledio and Vickery out with Caddy, Prestia and Nankervis in, it's probably status quo.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/live-chat-with-recruiter-gary-buckenara-after-end-of-2016-trade-and-free-agency-period/news-story/2cd609f3aff57dc30d36a4bacec9fa9a

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2016, 05:43:25 PM »
Richmond trade review

richmondfc.com.au
21 October 2016

Richmond’s General Manager – Football Talent, Dan Richardson, provides a summary of the Tigers’ transactions in the AFL’s 2016 trade period, including the acquisition of three players – Dion Prestia (from Gold Coast), Josh Caddy (Geelong) and Toby Nankervis (Sydney).

“We went into the trade period with a strategy to increase midfield depth, and with Ty (Vickery) moving on as a free agent, another forward-ruckman was a priority as well,” Richardson said.

“So we were able to bring in Dion (Prestia), who adds some real power running capacity . . . as well as Josh Caddy, who’s a strong-bodied midfielder, high contested-ball numbers at his best.  And Toby Nankervis, a young ruckman, who played finals for Sydney this year, and showed that he can really compete already, really hard at AFL level . . .

“Dion’s a running machine.  I think it’d be fair to say he’d be top one or two runners at the Club when he comes here . . . he was at the Gold Coast.

“Josh is a strong-bodied midfielder, but he moves okay as well.

“Both have genuinely high contested-ball numbers . . . so they provide that extra midfield depth.

“They can both play on a wing and move half-forward as well.

“I think as we’ve seen from the best teams, midfield depth you really can’t get enough of it, and that’s where the value in those two players comes.

“And, with Toby, he’s a left-footer, he’s also a big, strong body, but he moves well for a big guy, he’s very aggressive, very tough and competes really hard.

“He’ll do that, whether he’s playing as a key forward or in the ruck.

“So, it’s a really good outcome, balanced with, obviously, the loss of a champion for the Club in Brett (Deledio).  But I guess that’s the age of free agency . . .

“With him coming out as a free agent at the end of next year, we felt that it was best to fulfil his desires to seek a fresh start.  But, equally, to secure a first round pick from Geelong – and that will be dependent on Geelong’s finish next year – as well as a third round pick from GWS, is a satisfactory outcome in that regard as well.

“Clearly now we’ve got some good ruck depth.  So Ivan (Maric), importantly, we signed on for another year, as we know, and Shaun Hampson, we know had a really solid year, this year.  We certainly see Toby being able to complement those guys.  And throw in Ivan Soldo, who’s still developing and young, and Ben Griffiths, who’s capable of playing that forward-ruck role as well.  Competitions for spots will be tough in that area of the ground, but that’s a good thing for us.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2016-10-21/richmond-trade-review

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2016, 05:44:41 PM »
I compared Hampsons ave stats to 'The Nanks' via Footywire yesterday, and whilst hampson gets his hand to more hitouts (albiet many to disadvantage), The Nank is clearly well ahead in terms of possessions, tackling, clearances, and 1% ers.

I think his lack of hitouts is testament to him playing second ruck instead of first though.

Ive also watched a bit of him playing fwd and his positioning in contested marking situations is very good
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2016, 05:46:42 PM »
I compared Hampsons ave stats to 'The Nanks' via Footywire yesterday, and whilst hampson gets his hand to more hitouts (albiet many to disadvantage), The Nank is clearly well ahead in terms of possessions, tackling, clearances, and 1% ers.

I think his lack of hitouts is testament to him playing second ruck instead of first though.

Ive also watched a bit of him playing fwd and his positioning in contested marking situations is very good
:clapping
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2016, 05:58:38 PM »
The decision to let Ty go was the right decision. His last season at the club was woeful. I think Hawthorn will get the best out of him. The compensation we got for him was very good. Lets hope they do not waste the compensation pick.

I was a big fan of Caddy when he was at the Gold Coast. Prestia and Caddy are still young, both are good at getting contested possessions and both can tackle particularly Caddy. Their recruitment will help Miles, Cotchin and Martin significantly in getting contested possession an area we have struggled in since Tuck left the club.  Their recruitment hopefully will mean that Grigg will never be play in the centre again.

I am sad to see Lids go. He was a great player. His kicking particularly for goal from distance and his marking whether on the lead or overhead was pure class. We will miss his speed as well. But the decision to let him go was the right one for the club and player. He deserves to have success. The amount of crap he has put up with since being recruited is admirable. I respect his decision completely. Lids is at the end of his career and the club needed to find a way of not being so dependent on him.

If Toby Nankervis can take a contested grab, is good at tackling and is at hard at the contest his recruitment will be a wise decision. Sad to say but going for unknown is still better than relying on Hampson.
Good post. 👍

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2016, 06:28:38 PM »

Good post. 👍

Excellent post
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2016, 06:53:00 PM »
Trade period winners and losers

Glenn Valencich
Sportsfan/AFL website
Oct 21, 2016

WINNERS

Fremantle
GWS
St Kilda

Richmond

In: Dion Prestia, Josh Caddy, Toby Nankervis, No.27, No.56, Geelong's 2017 first-round pick, GWS's 2017 third-round pick
Out: Ty Vickery, Brett Deledio, No.6, No.46, No.64, 2017 second-round pick

They're not quite putting all their eggs in the rebuilding basket but we don't think that's such a bad thing. Prestia and Caddy will be dropped right to the front of the midfield rotation, which could potentially improve Trent Cotchin's output. Nankervis is just 22 years of age but looks ready to play on a more regular basis after 12 games in the past two years. With Shaun Hampson entrenched as the No.1 ruck, Nankervis should play round one as a second ruck and third tall forward behind Jack Riewoldt and Ben Griffiths.

LOSERS

Hawthorn
Geelong
Port Adelaide
Adelaide

http://www.sportsfan.com.au/trade-period-winners-and-losers/tabid/91/newsid/214233/default.aspx?cid=SF_LOWDOWN_AFL_article_tradeperiodwinnersandlosers_211016