Author Topic: KB slams effort and attitude of Richmond playing group in 2016 (H-Sun)  (Read 3118 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Kevin Bartlett slams effort and attitude of Richmond playing group in 2016

GLENN McFARLANE
Herald Sun
December 3, 2016 6:30pm

RICHMOND legend Kevin Bartlett has savaged the attitude of the Tigers’ 2016 playing group, saying there were times this year when it played as if it didn’t care.

The AFL legend and five-time Tigers’ premiership player believes attitude more than talent was the reason why the club slumped to 13th on the ladder, winning only eight games.

“I thought the efforts towards the end of the year were very poor,” Bartlett said.

“They were insipid and played like they couldn’t care less.”

“You could say at times it looked like they didn’t even try, such was the poor performance.”

After three consecutive finals appearances, albeit without a finals win in that time, Richmond endured a year from hell this season with pressure mounting on coach Damien Hardwick and bringing about an overhaul of the football department and the assistant coaching staff.

The Tigers lost five of their last six games this year, including deficits of 113, 88 and 70, and Bartlett puts much of the blame on the players’ mindset.

“Richmond has talent, but somewhere along the way they lost the thread and as a result in the end they became a rabble,” he said.

“When you kick three goals against the Giants (Round 19), the lowest score since 1961; when you kick four goals against St Kilda with 60 seconds to go (Round 22); and when you kick two goals to 22 at three-quarter-time against Sydney; you have got to say there is something intrinsicly wrong with the attitude of the players.”

Bartlett is confident the arrival of Neil Balme as head of football will make a significant difference to the club next year.

“This is where Neil Balme has his biggest challenge, in getting people thinking vastly different to the way they were thinking in 2016,” he said.

“I’m not concerned about the talent — Richmond has got a lot of talent. It has got one of the best defenders in the competition (Alex Rance), it has got one of the best forwards in the competition (Jack Riewoldt), and it has got a few of the best midfielders in the competition (Trent Cotchin and Dustin Martin).

“What you have to work on is the attitude of the players (as a whole). It is a matter of turning all that around and trying to find out why they didn’t have the enthusiasm to compete together, especially when you see a side like the Western Bulldogs winning the premiership by running in numbers and helping each other.”

Bartlett said the Bulldogs’ fairytale success — brought about by a team-first mantra — proved that clubs do not need long-term plans and long-range premiership models to guide their future.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/kevin-bartlett-slams-effort-and-attitude-of-richmond-playing-group-in-2016/news-story/f12e956cda0c00045ae66a030f9fdaec

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: KB slams effort and attitude of Richmond playing group in 2016 (H-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 10:11:09 PM »
More revelations from last season...
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 07:09:01 AM »
Another take....?

Maybe this is where Jack R stepped in 2 years ago and IMO rattled Hardwicks cage and got the game plan thrown out, the team responded magnificently, and Jack got himself kicked out of the leadership group.
This year he just couldn't be stuffed going through all the personal angst and drama again and nor could anyone else fight against Hardwicks stubborness...except Lids who just had to go to preserve his sanity?

All the favourites agree to follow the crappy game plan and get games, those who don't get dropped.

All this causes massive disunity and the type of year we just had.

Whether on the money or not, something ain't quite right at Richmond.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 11:17:34 AM »
All the favourites agree to follow the pooty game plan and get games, those who don't get dropped.

If you were coaching a football side you would do the opposite?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 08:23:55 PM »
All the favourites agree to follow the pooty game plan and get games, those who don't get dropped.

If you were coaching a football side you would do the opposite?
No, but do you think our game plan is embraced by the players?

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 09:59:55 PM »
and that has what to do with keeping players in that follow the game plan and dropping those that dont?

FlashGordon

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 10:26:55 AM »
If you aint got the right attitude you shouldnt be in the team because the coach stated that his team wont let the jumper hit the floor...when are they going to get rid of the attitude wrecker?

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 11:08:51 AM »
and that has what to do with keeping players in that follow the game plan and dropping those that dont?

Because the players heart is not in it.

I think Hardwick is teetering on the edge of losing the playing group (IMHO), they certainly didn't seem to have much passion in the last 4 games of the year.

But happy to be proven wrong next year.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 11:19:51 AM »

I think Hardwick is teetering on the edge of losing the playing group (IMHO), they certainly didn't seem to have much passion in the last 4 games of the year.

The problem we have is that we complain when we win useless games at the end of the year and we complain when we lose them by saying the coach has lost the group..... :banghead :banghead
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

FlashGordon

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 12:48:15 PM »

The problem we have is that we complain when we win useless games at the end of the year and we complain when we lose them by saying the coach has lost the group..... :banghead :banghead

I think you are mixing up losing and getting reamed by 100+. Not to mention that the complaints are more about the standard of footy, or lack of any standard.  Our problem is that there is to much comfort afforded personnel whp get paid well,  and they have a laugh at the next insipid effort, when supporters who have put up their hard earned to pay their salaries are laughed at by the wider footy public for once again being bent over.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 01:18:14 PM »
Of course KB is right when he slams the effort and attitude,  how many years have we complained about this very thing from so many of our players.It is nothing new people.

KB makes a good point, but he also misses the  big one when he says we have talent.  We have some talent  but the bitter truth is is we have never ever had anywhere near enough . It's amazing how often this important point is rarely mentioned by tiger people.

We dont have the cattle and we are in a dog eat dog fight with 17 other clubs for improvement just another point that is always over looked.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 01:19:38 PM »

I think you are mixing up losing and getting reamed by 100+. Not to mention that the complaints are more about the standard of footy, or lack of any standard.  Our problem is that there is to much comfort afforded personnel whp get paid well,  and they have a laugh at the next insipid effort, when supporters who have put up their hard earned to pay their salaries are laughed at by the wider footy public for once again being bent over.
Players were already thinking of their end of season trips. Not good enough? Definitely. Embarrassing? Yes. Important? Not so sure. We have quickly moved on from there I hope. Our start to this year will tell us how important that ending was. Time will definitely tell.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 01:33:30 PM »

Are you suggesting that some players deliberately dont execute the game plan?

FlashGordon

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 01:34:40 PM »

Players were already thinking of their end of season trips. Not good enough? Definitely. Embarrassing? Yes. Important? Not so sure.We have quickly moved on from there I hope. Our start to this year will tell us how important that ending was. Time will definitely tell.

It will be evident before the start of the year.  Things were going pear shaped well before R1 this year, to the extent where we suffered the embarrassment of the coach asking for a game to be called off.  That was the pre-cursor to what he was going to offer the playing group.

FlashGordon

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 01:40:11 PM »

Are you suggesting that some players deliberately dont execute the game plan?

I think there is alot discussed about a game plan and IMO it looks like players are not executing the game plan, because there isnt a game plan.  Keepings off isnt a game plan.