Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 917591 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #4785 on: March 13, 2022, 02:07:06 PM »
Well done MT.
Grimes looking likely to play rd1?
Team selection will be an interesting watch.
Playing Stack on the wing makes sense to me as he is so creative. His tank is the only issue, however he could play between the arcs and leave the full length goal to goal running to the running machines.
Ralphsmith to replace Vlastuin.
Should know more Tuesday & Wednesday about Grimesy (see other thread).

Agree Machine about Stacky. He's better behind the ball.

IMV Ralphsmith is replacing Houli. That rebounding defender along with Short & Dan Rioli. So Floss' interceptor role either goes to Broad (eg: 2020 GF), Grimes (if he plays) or Gibcus if he plays as a 3rd rather than a 2nd tall defender. Dimma is not showing his cards so it's hard to tell what he'll do.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4786 on: March 13, 2022, 02:25:10 PM »
Mainly a thank you post for you @mightytigers  :clapping   :bow
I really appreciate the time and effort you put into doing the training updates for those of us who can't get along  :thumbsup

Training question:  How are Mansell & Banks looking especially now Banks is out of Rehab?
IMO Mansell has had a strong preseason. It's only covid in the past week or two that's forced him to miss the preseason games so he's come back as though he didn't miss a beat. He's right on the edge of our 22. If Floss doesn't play which seems likely now then I could see Mansell coming in. I know a few of our supporters would have Mansell ahead of Dan Rioli in any case but Dimma seems to prefer Dan and Short ahead of him by the look of it. So Mansell needs one of our small defenders to miss for him to come in at this stage.

As for Banks it's a bit too early to judge yet. Looks fit and all. His kicking though was rusty last time I saw training. Better today. It's just good to see him finally out of rehab as there was talk that wrist might make 2022 a write off. Hopefully he gets a run in our first VFL game against Southport.

Offline Jonesracing82

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4787 on: March 14, 2022, 12:00:23 AM »
Just got back from watching training this morning. Beautiful day outside  :thumbsup.

Absent: Lambert, Vlastuin and I didn't notice Nank out there either. I asked one of the trainers where Nank was but I think he thought I was a spy or something as he was very sheepish and said he didn't know anything :laugh:.

Rehab: Kmac. Just did some short distance kicking with a trainer on the outer boundary.

Main group:

Grimes, Graham, Mansell and Banks all did full training.

Session wasn't as long as others. About an hour and half tops. Mostly the squad split in threes for line drills and then as two teams for some match sim focussing on kick-ins and transitional play. Dimma was the 'umpire' by the sound of it and was strict as anything. Yelling out "you can't do that off the ball" and paying 50s if the ball wasn't returned on the full. Even Dimma must be expecting us to get our usual shafting by the umps  :shh.

As far positions:
- Balta trained with the forwards. Presumably that's where he's playing round 1.
- Bolton also trained with the forwards. No midfield time at all.
- Dusty trained soley with the mids. No time in the forward line.
- Stack also was with the midfield group. Not sure if that means Syd being trialed as a forward has been dumped.

Backs: Grimes, Tarrant, Short, D.Rioli, Gibcus, Brown, Mansell, Broad, Ralphsmith, Miller, Biggie.

Mids: Prestia, Dusty, Ross, Cotch, Aarts, Soldo, Caddy, RCD, Dow, Graham, Martyn, Parker, Sonsie, Banks, Clarke, Stack , Pickett.

Forwards: Baker, Riewoldt, Edwards, Castagna, Lynch, Balta, Bolton, Ryan, Cumberland, M.Rioli.

ps. Lynch copped one underneath the jaw when Cumberland's high ball ping at goal instead bounced near Tom's feet when he wasn't expecting it and the ball flicked up and got him. All good though thankfully.

pps. Another ball went over the Brunton Ave end fence. First time I've kicked a footy in ages. Felt good to have footy back  :thumbsup

Any questions, just fire away?
I'll join those thanking you for the training updates, very much appreciated.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4788 on: March 15, 2022, 02:31:57 PM »
Back from watching training this morning. Another hour and a half session (10.30am - Noon).

Absent:
- Nank again (thankfully it's covid protocols and he's playing Thursday night).

Rehab:
- Lambert
- Vlastuin
- McIntosh .... not sure what is wrong but I presume it's a lower body issue (either somewhere along a leg or groin).

Floss and Kmac just walked together doing a few laps around the boundary and then some light stepping exercises on the outer wing.

Lambert joined in with the main group in a couple of the drills.

Biggie left the main group midway through and came over to the rehab trainers pointing at his right quad. He later joined the main group towards the end of the session so I'm guessing he's okay.

Main group:

The drills today were:

- Circle work
- Decision making (exiting D50 and entering F50)
- Team Defence (one defender bodies the forward under the ball for 3rd man to mark), D50 crumbing, clearance and rebound work.
- 2 by 2 tackling
- Match sim
- 1-on-1 forward/defender contesting

Balta trained as a defender today. I'm guessing it's a precaution in case Grimes doesn't play.

Bolton was in the guts in the match sim. Soldo, Dusty, Cotch and Shai were the starting four. 

Graham trained fully again. That's at least the past 3 straight sessions he's completed I believe. Fingers crossed he may be right to play Thursday night  :pray.

Dan Rioli stubbed his foot as he was kicking near us. He went to bench for a while and went through a series of exercises with a trainer. At the end it looked like he was moving fine so hopefully he is okay.

Highlight was Soldo taking a one-handed diving mark in the 1-on-1 contesting drill. Could hear a giant "woah!" from everyone  ;D. Steve Morris was videoing the drill so hopefully there's vision of it.

All up it was a very sloppy session. It was windy and high balls were noticeably being dragged by the breeze towards the Punt Road pocket but there were too many sprayed kicks and missed targets across the ground. Can't afford this many mistakes on Thursday night. The exceptions were Dusty, Shai and Brown who were nailing their passes. Hugo was decent too today. Lynch looked on song up forward with strong contested marks and straight kicks through the middle.

Any question, just fire away?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 04:49:08 PM by mightytiges »

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4789 on: March 15, 2022, 03:10:46 PM »
Yeah give and take condition's ,  but to sloppy missing targets that killed us last season I hope skills improved all round was a huge let down. Who out of the kids did well ?.Miller needs to grabbing that defence position with 2 hands not Gibcus.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4790 on: March 15, 2022, 05:06:24 PM »
Yeah give and take condition's ,  but to sloppy missing targets that killed us last season I hope skills improved all round was a huge let down. Who out of the kids did well ?.Miller needs to grabbing that defence position with 2 hands not Gibcus.
Yep. If we want to change up gears during games and control/possess the ball at times then we can't afford such sloppiness. Every poor pass at training equates to a turnover to the opposition in a real game.

Of our kids - Brown, Mansell & Hugo were arguably our best today IMHO. I've become a fan of Tom Brown so I'm probably a bit biased. He's just a natural footballer.

Agree about Miller. A modern defender needs to have an offensive component to his game. He just can't be a spoiler/nullifier and that's it. So Miller needs to develop that turning defence into the start of an attack (rebound) side to his game. Gibcus naturally has that already so that's why he's jumped Miller in the pecking order. Gibcus' natural ball skills are superior too IMHO.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4791 on: March 15, 2022, 08:07:23 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4792 on: March 16, 2022, 05:31:11 AM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4793 on: March 16, 2022, 06:19:05 PM »
Short snippet from today's Captain's Run.

https://twitter.com/kara__oke/status/1503879866793742337

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4794 on: March 24, 2022, 02:20:23 PM »
A couple of pics from training today:

Sights set on Round 2. #gotiges

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1506829708595326980

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4795 on: March 24, 2022, 03:32:14 PM »
Back from training. Perfect day outside.

Absent:
Dusty (personal)

Rehab:
Prestia (hammy): 200m runs along the outer boundary. Moving at a decent pace given it wasn't a bad hammy.
Vlastuin (hammy): Still a fair way off by the look it. Mostly jogging also along the boundary but not at any pace.
Riewoldt (thumb): Left the track before I got to training. Pics showed he walked a lap or two.

Main group:
A few drills today focussed on centre work and contesting. No real surprise there after the Carlton game and with us facing another strong midfield in GWS.

Drills today were:
- line drills: squad split into their lines to work on separate things.
- Tackling & handball keepings off in close.
- Pinball (my name for it): Players would run with the ball and bounce off about 3 blokes holding paddings.
- "Craft and technique": just 4-vs-4 centre contesting work and centre clearances (rucks & mids only)
- Match play
- Circle work: Defensive clearance, switching and transition.

Lines:

Backs: Grimes, Tarrant, Short, D.Rioli, Gibcus, Brown, Mansell, Broad, Ralphsmith, Miller, Biggie.

Rucks/Mids: Ross, Cotchin, Edwards, Soldo, Caddy, Nankervis, RCD, Dow, Bolton, McIntosh, Graham, Martyn, Parker, Sonsie, Stack, Pickett.

Forwards: Baker, Castagna, Lynch, Balta, Lambert, Ryan, Cumberland, Banks, Clarke, M.Rioli.

Balta - trained with the forwards so as Dimma said that's where he is playing on Sunday.

Bolton - did the full session ... phew!

Lambert - did the full session by the look of it but in the match play played as a half-forward. So no centre and heavy contesting work yet.

Dan Rioli - a watch and see. He should still play as he completed the training session with the main group but a couple of times during the session he spent time with a trainer and about 5 mins in the rehab group.

Maurice Rioli - I've been critical of his ability to kick over distance accurately but his three around the body shots from 40m all went through the middle.   

Stack - trained well today. Very clean.

Any questions .... just fire away?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 06:44:52 PM by one-eyed »

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4796 on: March 24, 2022, 05:24:05 PM »
Great report mate.How the kids look ,Sonsie, Brown ,RCD ,Dow, Banks.Did Miller and Ryan train well.I hope our skills were alot cleaner today.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4797 on: March 24, 2022, 06:43:38 PM »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4798 on: March 24, 2022, 07:23:53 PM »
Great report mate.How the kids look ,Sonsie, Brown ,RCD ,Dow, Banks.Did Miller and Ryan train well.I hope our skills were alot cleaner today.
All up the skills were mixed. Some good patches where the ball didn't hit the grass and some sloppy moments where open targets were missed. Better than last week thankfully but still it needs to improve. Every missed target and fumble at training is a potential turnover in a real game as we found out against Carlton  :P.

RCD did a ripper well weighted pin point pass from the wing to the pocket. The question mark is still his ability to cover ground. One play in the circle work he was initially level with Baker and Kmac and ended up behind them. To be fair he did end up being used in the passage. I'm not sure the ribs are an excuse anymore as he was doing all the in traffic and contested drills.

Dow was in the first starting 4 of the centre work drills IIRC. I expect him to play this week and he has been picked in the squad.

I'm a fan of Sonsie so I'm a bit biased. He did this fantastic one hand scoop off the ground at pace from a (deliberate) deflection off a tall (Soldo) on the wing. Dimma though has said he wants Sonsie to build up his match fitness first at VFL level. 

Brown (defence) & Banks (forward) did what they had to do but they didn't stand out in any way today.

Miller lined up on Lynch in the match play. He was solid without any outstanding moments.

Gibcus is the one who stands out from our tall defenders with his vertical leaps. Came from behind to rise up and out-mark Nank then gave the captain a pat on the backside to let him know lol.

Ryan - not sure where he is at. He just hasn't come on from the glimpses he showed in his first year. At the moment he's a bit of an in-betweener. Not a ruck and not a key forward. He's been training as a tall forward presumably because they don't have confidence in him (as yet) as a ruckman.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Open Training on Saturday @ Punt Rd
« Reply #4799 on: March 24, 2022, 11:47:30 PM »
OPEN TRAINING AT TIGERLAND

Join us for open training at the Swinburne Centre!

Date: Saturday, March 26

Gates Open: 10:15am (Gate 1, near Roar Store)

Training: 10:30am

Note: Players will not be able to do signings due to AFL protocols

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/football/open-training