Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 932097 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #2550 on: June 29, 2010, 04:57:21 PM »
I popped down to training this morning at Punt Rd Oval. Bloody freezing  :-X but they still trained for the best part of 2 hours.

9 absentees today:
McGuane - saw him briefly walking about inside the rooms.
Jackson (?)
Hislop - LTIL
Thomson (?)
Moore - will be tested at training on Thursday. If he gets through that he'll play.
Foley - ankle still playing up
Dea - foot injury. Walked out for a few minutes at the end to watch training. Seemed to have a slight limp.

Taylor (?)
Westhoff (?)

Polak training fully and with no helmet. He didn't appear to have problems out there.

The warm-up was lengthy as you'd expect on a cold day. Don't need anyone pulling a hammy or whatever. Good voice and enthusiasm (Jack's voice you can't miss) yelling out to the group to not go easy and be lazy (ie. make sure leg lifts went as high as possible etc).

On training itself there was a lot of game specific work especially to counter the Swans scrummage rugby gamestyle and also if Sunday turns out to be wet.

They started off with forming small circles and rolling the ball towards each other to gather off the ground. This was followed by three separate groups whereby the first group near us would form attacker/defender pairs and the ball would be rolled 20m along the ground towards the boundary and the attacker had to gather and while be corralled hit a trainer 25m along the boundary line or 25m back inside towards the corridor. Benny Gale who was explaining the drill to some visitors said the drill was also designed to teach the defender how to pressure but no overcommit and get dodged around too easily. The second group on the outer wing were lined up in a row and each player took turns to bust through about four bags being thumped against them and then dish off a handpass to the trainer waiting at the end. The last group also formed attacker/defender pairs and each would face each other pushing the other in the chest and upper arms and then the attacker would gather a ball along the ground.

Next up the group came together to work on stoppages particularly ball-ups. They had 20 or os around the ball so very Swans' gamestyle like.

The rest of training was more standard full ground rebounding work we normally do combined with 1-on-1s match-ups right across the park.

This was a public session btw so we're obviously going into the game with nothing to hide.

Any questions just fire away  :cheers

ps. Griffiths is a big boy when he stands next to you  :o.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2551 on: June 29, 2010, 05:28:30 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2552 on: July 07, 2010, 10:30:47 PM »
According to BF the public training session this week is on Friday at 11am.

Offline Muscles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2553 on: July 09, 2010, 02:14:52 PM »
I called in to training today as I was in Melbourne on my annual winter pilgrimage down south.  There were people everywhere.  Then I found out from the security guy on the gate that there was a clinic being held after training.  Must have been 2-3 hundred people at the ground.

Training was light and shortish.  It would have only been about 50 minutes from start to finish.  Cotch and Connors didn't join in training, but both looked to be moving OK during some handball drills and some shots at goal.  Polo, Nahas and Morton joined in full training.

After warm ups and some in-close drills, the forwards went to the punt road end and the backs and mids went to middle of the ground and practised spreading from a huddle and hitting targets 50 metres away.  The ball then got moved around the wing to one of the forwards who were leading, while a couple of the coaches blocked the leading players.  The second drill was practising moving the ball from defence, first with just a few defenders (less than six) and later with almost equal teams.  Each drill finished with a lead and mark from a forward.  It was good to see that whenever there was a mistake in a switch of play or a bad pass, the drill was stopped and they analysed what went wrong before starting again.  They were running pretty interesting patterns and each player had a space to break and spread to.

I went around to the Brunton Ave wing and watched the big guys do some marking practice taking hangers on a padded coach.  Angus, Ty, Jack, Astbury, Griffiths took turns marking kicks from Lade.  Thursty was out there as well and showed that he could take a mark if there was enough encouragement.  Ben Griffiths can run, jump and take a mark!  Gus wasn't all that bad either, but it seems that Ty has got a bit of work to do.  He was the least impressive mark to me.

Dunno what the rest of the group was doing in front of the grandstand while the marking practice was taking place, I didn't watch.

I haven't been to training since this time last year and it was a really different session to watch than under the old mob.  The coaches were out there involved in the drills, stopping things when the players didn't do it right and the training was a lot more structured and interesting.  This was a very light and short session, but it was a lot more professional than I've seen in the past.

(Edit) Oh, also I thought it was very interesting that Lids didn't have any strapping on his elbow, or if he did, it was invisible to me.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2554 on: July 09, 2010, 03:09:18 PM »
Top report Muscles  :clapping :thumbsup

Here's some pics from the today's training:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=189794&id=298686323275&ref=mf

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2555 on: July 09, 2010, 10:08:41 PM »
Cheers for report Muscles  :cheers

Good to hear Lids is okay. Fingers crossed Cotch is okay as he hardly trained yesterday either  :-\  :pray.

It's interesting in recent weeks we are doing more match and oppostion specific training now at training compared to earlier in the season. Looks like Dimma and the coaching staff are more confident the list understands the basic concepts he wanted to introduce initially and now can step up training to involve more specfic tactics. Last week they focused on stoppages, tackling and close-in work for the Swans game. Going by your report Muscles it sounds like we expect a more open running game against the Dockers on the fast-track of Etihad.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2556 on: July 12, 2010, 04:55:52 PM »
Richmond will hold the following open training sessions this week:

- Thursday July 15, Highgate Reserve, Craigieburn, 10am
- Saturday July 17, Punt Road Oval, 11am

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2557 on: July 15, 2010, 03:56:32 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2558 on: July 19, 2010, 04:04:18 PM »

- Friday July 23, Punt Road Oval, 11am

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2559 on: July 26, 2010, 05:41:20 PM »

- Saturday July 31, Punt Road Oval, 11am

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2560 on: July 29, 2010, 01:25:10 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2561 on: August 03, 2010, 04:32:31 PM »

- Saturday August 8, Punt Road Oval, 11am

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2562 on: August 06, 2010, 05:18:02 PM »

Offline Hes My Hero

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #2563 on: August 06, 2010, 05:29:20 PM »
Did anyone else read in todays Herald Sun (bottom of page 115) that reports said that the boys trained with mouthguards in yesterday ?

The Dees, hopefully, are in for a very bruising encounter. >:( :gotigers

Ramps

« Reply #2564 on: August 06, 2010, 05:32:23 PM »
Pics from today's training session at Craigieburn...

http://images.slatterymedia.com/photography/results/?q=collection:AFL%202010%20Training%20-%20Richmond%20150710&sub_code=all

Has Troy Taylor grown taller or is the photography just making him look taller?