Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 916682 times)

letsgetiton!

Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #150 on: February 14, 2006, 05:09:22 PM »
thanx mt once again

u r da man!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #151 on: February 15, 2006, 03:10:19 AM »
Drill 1

Thumbnails:

Warm up run // Razor, Tuck, Hyde, Jackson and Hughes

Meyer, Polo and Lids plus the unknown guy (#45) // Foley, Sugar and Krakouer

Schulz, Harts, Simmo and Rainesy // Richo, Browny and Tambo

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #152 on: February 15, 2006, 03:23:36 AM »
Drill 2

Thumbnails:

Tambo crumbs the ball in front of Polo // Browny tries to break free from Chaffey

Pettifer with eyes on the ball with McGuane // Chaffey and Browny tussle

The newbie with Howat //  Cogs instructing the squad

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #153 on: February 15, 2006, 03:25:16 AM »
Drills 3,4 and 5

Krakouer clears

Thumbnails:

Meyer awaits the footy after Roach's marking attempt over the bag (held by Staff) // Hyde marks 

Organised chaos

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #154 on: February 15, 2006, 03:27:55 AM »
Drill 6

Thumbnails:

Lids, Howat, Browny, Joel and Chaffs // Meyer, Browny, Joel and Newman

Raines, Graham, Tivs, Richo, Patto, Tambo and Schulz // Hughes, Hyde, Krakouer, Richo, Schulz and Raines

Schulz, Krakouer, Raines, Patto, Paddy and Jacko // Lids, Humm, Foley, Harts, Meyer and Tivs

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #155 on: February 15, 2006, 03:29:38 AM »
Close up pics of Lids

Thumbnails:

Lids front and back

Moi

« Reply #156 on: February 15, 2006, 08:39:27 PM »
I would have done a report on the training i used to watch down at Port Melbourne beach this year, but selfishly they haven't shown up  :o

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #157 on: February 15, 2006, 10:35:45 PM »
I would have done a report on the training i used to watch down at Port Melbourne beach this year, but selfishly they haven't shown up  :o

Looking forward to reading these reports of the boys down at Port Melbourne beach during Sunday or Monday morning aftergame recovery in the middle of winter  :rollin.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #158 on: February 16, 2006, 08:36:38 AM »
So long as it comes with pics ;)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #159 on: February 16, 2006, 02:02:14 PM »
So long as it comes with pics ;)

Hate to bring bad news Julz but my digital camera is being repaired and out of action for 2 weeks :(.

If anyone else makes it training or the intra-club game tomorrow with a camera then you're most welcome to post your pics here or email them to us at admin@oneeyed-richmond.com  and we'll post them on here for you :).

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #160 on: February 16, 2006, 02:04:00 PM »
A much shorter training session this morning compared to the norm. I go there around 11.30am (training was scheduled to start at 11am) and it was all over by 12.30am.

A few absentees today as far as I saw - No Chaffey, Knobel, Cogs, Oakley-Nicholls and Casserley. I didn't notice Hartigan or Howat out there either but that might be an oversight. Thursfield was separate from the main group.

Today's training was all focussed on moving the ball and hitting targets inside 50.

In the first drill, the squad was split into two and sent to opposite ends of the Vic Park. Each half-squad was then split into three smaller groups with one on each corner of the centre square and the third group a 4 yellows vs 4 reds matched-up in the forward line near goal.

The two groups on the HFFs would alternate turns going inside 50. The coaching staff would set-up ball-up, mark and handball situations to start the drill and the group would work together to get it to one of them running forward who then would pass to leading forward or have a shot from 40m themselves. They only had 2 of the forward-defender pairings duelling at once while the other two rested. I was happy to see the coaching staff add the running goal as an option into the drill as it's one of the areas we need to do more of in a real game situtation.

In the half-squad at the Station end where I was:

Group 1: P.Bowden, Krakouer, Pettifer
Group 2: Hughes, Browny, Meyer, Tuck
Goal Group: Richo vs Gas, Lids vs Chubba, Rodan vs Foley and Staff vs Schulz.

Gas, Chubba, Foley and Schulz played as defenders and half way through the drill Paddy, Hughes, Meyer and Pettifer swapped roles with Richo, Lids, Rodan and Staff.

Overall it was ok. A mixture of the very good with a couple of overshot passes and dropped marks. The two dropped marks were simply through lack of concentration as the player took it too easy (Lids was one culprit). Meyer took a ripper of a diving mark low on the lead a la Dunstall fashion.

The second and final drill had the squad split into two again with a large group on a HBF/wing and 4 yellow forwards vs 4 red defenders situated at the Yarra Falls end goals. The main group would rotate through 2 yellows versus 2 reds with the 2 yellows needing to team together to get one of them clear running forward and pinpointing a pass to a leading forward. Hughes, Krakouer, Meyer and Limbach (I think) were playing as forwards.

The midfield yellow pairings were able to clear all but 3 times. If they got caught that pairing had to redo the drill again. Polo did a great spin and sidestep to allude a red tackler and break clear (the final pass could of been better though). Add to that it was either he or McGuane who nailed I think Pettifer or Lids in a upstanding bearhug tackle as the latter tried to just run and bust through. The drill was happening on the opposite side of the ground to me so it wasn't easy seeing who was who in a contest. Meyer again took some nice grabs on the lead and I think it was Limbach who took a speccie in front of the point post. Overall fairly well done with good intensity.

While this was going on Staff, Tambo, Richo, Simmonds and Browny were practicing their goalkicking with Tivs kicking the ball back from the goalsquare.

And that was it for the day. Graham stayed behind to work on his ruck-taps while Lids, Rodan, Krakouer, Pettifer and Limbach did goalkicking. Wheadon was critiquing each of Rodan, Pettifer and Krakouer's set-shots. Told them there's an optimal power point where if you cross it any mistake is magnified. He also told Rodan that if you don't exceed this optimal point and keep your action (leg) straight at the goals it'll still float flew straight even if you don't connect perfectly. 

Terry was one of the last to leave as he was interviewed for Ch 9 News tonight (see other thread for details). So watch out for Ch 9's sport report at around 6.20pm tonight.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #161 on: February 24, 2006, 01:10:08 PM »
A brief training session today that went for about an hour 11am-12pm at Punt Road Oval. The old girl hasn't looked in better shape. Talk about contrast with the state of Vic Park. Well done RFC :clapping.

Mostly marking, kicking and goalkicking drills today. Nothing too fancy. They also did some close ball work.

29 guys were present and they were mostly the NAB squad - Newman, Gas, Lids, Raines, Simmo, Roach, Staff, Joel, Richo, Knobel, Pettifer, Paddy, Sugar, Rodan, Hall, Tuck, Jacko, Cogs, Sarge, Patto, Krak, Blingers, Hyde, Hartigan, White, Moore?, Foley, Humm and Howat.

Knobel was back at training for the first time in a few weeks. He was moving well and kicked a nice goal on the run but as he hasn't played any of the intra-club games you wouldn't think we would play him first up tomorrow.

Pettifer had a glove on his left hand to protect his broken finger and was avoiding using it when taking a mark so he won't play.

Cogs looked ok but they didn't do any running or game drill stuff today so hard to say whether he is 100%. I'd rather we rested him this week given we are taking a no risk approach.

I didn't see Chubba out there today so I think he'll be the fourth omission from the squad of 28.

Browny was watching from the race in casuals. Looked very relaxed wearing his 1970s shades lol.

Wallace was interviewed at training by the media scrum so he should be on the Ch 10 news tonight, 3aw and afl.com.au. (see other thread).

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #162 on: February 24, 2006, 02:37:24 PM »
from what i understand we have some major concerns with casserly, oakley-nicholls and tambling re: OP and groins and hammys. Does anyone know the severity of these and finally...is it really necessary to flog all first year players to this degree... no one is gonna run rampant in year 1...maybe wed be better off developing 1st year players with a slightly less rigourous program over the first 2 years of their arrival at Punt Road.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #163 on: February 24, 2006, 03:43:16 PM »
Casserly is the one I'm most concerned about. I haven't seen him at training for ages. Oakley-Nicholls and of course Tambo have been around training track recently.

The massive jump from U18 footy to AFL in terms of intensity and number of days training is the main problem. The lighter body types seem to struggle under the extra workload. Maybe we should look at a halfway point for lighter body first year players so the jump isn't so great at once.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #164 on: February 24, 2006, 05:13:16 PM »
At the CLub80 dinner earlier in the week JON actually made the comment that this is really the first time in his life he's done a pre-season. He said he didn't do one last year because he had a busted collarbone and by the time it healed it was round one and they just played him in the colts and he got his fitness from there. The other thing is he still growing and the body developing. As for Bling it is a bit the same regarding body development.

Casserly was there too but he wasn't really asked about his injury probs but again it seems to have alot to do with them coming from the WAFL comp (in the case of JON & Casserly) in comparison to the kids that come out of the TAC cup comp. The kids ex 'TAC Cup seem much better prepared for the rigours of AFL training
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)