Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 915698 times)

PuntRdRoar

Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #165 on: February 24, 2006, 10:02:47 PM »
Just been having a look at Mitch Clark at Brisbane. I just hope its not gonna be another disaster.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #166 on: February 28, 2006, 05:03:27 PM »
For those living in the Eastern suburbs that can make it, there'll be a training session tomorrow at Carey Grammar.

Wednesday, March 1 - 11.00am - Carey Grammar, Bulleen Rd, Bulleen

Friday, March 3 - 11.00am - Punt Road Oval

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #167 on: March 01, 2006, 03:45:03 AM »
from what i understand we have some major concerns with casserly, oakley-nicholls and tambling re: OP and groins and hammys. Does anyone know the severity of these

According to Wez on Yellow&Black.info , who went to the members induction night last night, Casserly said he has OP  :( but hopes to start running again within a week. He apparently hasn't had a run or kick for the past month which explains why he hasn't been at training in that time. Mainly been doing weights and bike.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #168 on: March 03, 2006, 01:40:54 PM »
Training was at Punt Road today and went for about an hour (11am-12pm).

Absentees were Chaffey and Casserly and I didn't notice Sugar, Moore or Graham out there either.

Browny trained separately with a trainer doing ball skill and kicking practice.

Pettifer still was wearing a glove on his left hand and was avoiding using it when possible.

Oakley-Nicholls or "Jonny be good" as the boys were calling him was back at full training which was good to see. Everyone else looked fit and moved well.

Mostly kicking drills were performed. Wheadon was taking the drills and got the boys to kick in different ways - on the run, stop and prop, firm flat kicks, spinning kicks, targetting specifically the chest and then just above the head in front of the eyes. Not the greatest display of precision kicking you'll see :-\. Our guys still need to learn to kick to a teammates advantage whatever the situation. Most kicks went to a teammate but a number were either too low or too high or to the wrong side. Jacko kicked a couple of shockers near us that missed by metres. If they can't hit targets precisely under no pressure at training then not surprising we see poor skills on matchday like last Saturday.  On a positive note Roachy and Knobel were surprisingly good (although Knobel dropped a couple of straightforward marks) and Lids, Tambo and Meyer were their usual accurate selves.

The squad then switched to a full ground length drill moving the ball from deep in defence, along the wing, to a leading forward. Only the receiver on the wing and the leading forward had an opponent so it was done under little pressure. This was performed well in the main with only one or two kicks that didn't hit their targets.

The squad then finished off with some close in body on body handball work and goalkicking. Joel, Newman, Simmo and Oakley-Nicholls stayed behind for 10 more minutes at the Brunton Avenue end to work on some defensive rebound kicking.

Wallace was interviewed by Ch 10 and others after training. See other thread.

Camera still in the repair shop so sorry Julz no photos.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #169 on: March 04, 2006, 01:21:23 PM »
Thanks for the report Mighty Tiges :thumbsup Any photos?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #170 on: March 04, 2006, 06:51:27 PM »
Thanks for the report Mighty Tiges :thumbsup Any photos?

My camera is being repaired so sorry no recent photos Mr Magic (there are ones from earlier training sessions in this thread). Hopefully I'll have my camera back and working sometime this week.

Offline Limbach_19

• Future Richmond star
  • Leroy Jetta
« Reply #171 on: March 14, 2006, 09:44:45 PM »
Anyone know where training this week is and times?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #172 on: March 14, 2006, 10:04:10 PM »
Anyone know where training this week is and times?

It's on tomorrow L19, 10.30am at Carey Grammar, Bulleen Rd, Bulleen. It's Carey's sports grounds just off the Eastern Freeway. We play Friday so it's the only one this week.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #173 on: April 12, 2006, 04:17:52 PM »
Training today was a Punt Road oval. A fairly long one too as it went for 2 hours (11am - 1pm).

Everyone was present except for Lids who as mentioned was crook with a stomach bug as well as Thursty and Sarge for obvious reasons.

The whole squad started off with a 10-15m agility run through a line of cones followed by a 3-on-2 handball drill over 20m. When a handball or two missed the mark Wallace and then Royal stepped in and stopped the drill and told them all to "watch their skills" and "it's a simple skill". Overall fairly well done by all.

For the next drill the dquad split into two at either end of the centre square for a straight line mark and kicking on the run drill. They performed the drill for about 10 minutes and I'd reckon there was only 6 errors (3 dropped marks, 2 too short kicks, 1 wide kick) which was good to see. Knobel took one off his toes on the run which got applause from Wallace. Overall not perfect by any means as some kicks were low or high which forced the marker to stop and prop instead of staying in motion but it was clean. 

Wallace and coaching staff then put the boys through two quarters of match practice. Kel Moore did runs along the boundary and 3 players waited on the sidelines and rotated during the game. After any score it was a kick-in so it was sometimes hard to tell if a goal or point had been scored. Here's roughly the score:

Yellows   2.1-13 (Tuck, Jacko)
Blacks    3.4-22 (Johnson, Tambling, Meyer).

Meyer took the mark 60m out on a HFF then ran in and around two yellows and sank one from 50m. Very nice goal that received alot of vocal praise and high-5's from his teammates.

Blacks                   Yellows

15. Newman      6.  Chaffey
12. Gas             33.  Browny
27. Raines         8.  Roach
5.  Simmonds   10.  Staff
17. Johnson       -.  J.Bowden               
19. Limbach     2.  Richo
21. Tuck            13.  Knobel
22. Meyer          14.  Polo
26. Pattison       1.  Pettifer
30. Tambling   39.  P.Bowden
31. Hyde           18.  Rodan
32. Tivendale   20.  Hall
7.  Hartigan       11.  Jackson
34. Hughes      24.  Coughlan
 -. Kellaway         4.  Krakouer
42. Humm        29.  Oakley-Nicholls
44. Howat         45.  White
35. Coburg pl.   37.  Casserley
13. Graham       38.  McGuane
                             41.  Foley

Nothing much that was too different from the Saints game. Plenty of run and carry with a few turnovers chucked in. Hyde was very good with some attacking runs through the centre. Foley tried the same a couple of times but got caught twice.

Match-ups:  Richo v Gas; Tambo v Roach; Graham v Hall; Limbach v McGuane; Chaffey v Howat; Pettifer v Newman; Rodan v Tivs; Hyde v Cogs;

Polo went off and inside the rooms. Came out feeling his upper leg. Not sure there's any damage but I overheard the trainer say to Dean if he wasn't right to take a week off. He went back in then came out with an icepack.

After the scratch match, the squad spilt into 3 groups with one doing goalkicking and the other two on the wings working on 6-on-6 ball-up and throw in set-ups and midfield transitional play where each 6 man team worked the footy to a player standing inside of square of cones in each pocket. There seemed to be an emphasis on finding guys with long kicks running towards goal. A number of  "over the top of the opposition" kicks to a teammate on goal side of his opponent. One of Sugar's passes was brilliant. Long to Foley who didn't have to break stride :clapping.

Each group then rotated. Richo interestingly started in one of the midfield groups (where he rucked lol) and hardly did any goalkicking from memory.

And that was roughly two hours.

Photos to come  :thumbsup.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 04:35:55 PM by mightytiges »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #174 on: April 12, 2006, 05:11:32 PM »
Polo went off and inside the rooms. Came out feeling his upper leg. Not sure there's any damage but I overheard the trainer say to Dean if he wasn't right to take a week off. He went back in then came out with an icepack.

Disappointing if he's injured - would have thought if we were going to play a couple of the kids this week that Polo would be considered along with JON and Cleve :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #175 on: April 12, 2006, 06:52:18 PM »
I forgot to add that David King at the end of training was giving left footers Tivs and Hyde tips on dodging and weaving so they can get on their left and kick a long goal from 50. Tivs was very good in the drills btw. Blingers then came across and started doing the same thing with Kingy on his right foot. 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #176 on: April 13, 2006, 03:53:46 AM »
Photos from April 12 training

Click on thumbnails to enlarge:

Agility runs // Wallace chats to the squad

Yellows and Blacks huddles

Ball-up setup with Simmonds vs Staff

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #177 on: April 19, 2006, 03:45:08 PM »
Training was a Punt Road Oval this morning from 11am to 1pm. A very windy day which affected the flight of the ball. The only guys absent were Thursty and Sarge. Gas, Chaffey and Moore did reflex and short handball drills by the race while Simmonds and Casserly did a few laps and runs before joining the other 3. Simmo also did some bag ruck work with a trainer. Everyone else including Browny was in the main group and completed the whole 2 hours. Someone towards the end of training yelled out to Browny how he was feeling and he gave his usual response - "brilliant".

Training began with a few short agility runs through and around cones at the Brunton Ave end before Wallace brought everyone into a huddle for a chat and to catch up with swollen-faced Roachy. They then did a 3-on-2 handball drill which was done ok but could have been better. Graham's first two handballs missed the mark and he got told off.

The squad then broke up into five smaller groups with the fifth one full of the big blokes in the goalsquare at the northern end (Richo v Joel, Staff v Kellaway and Patto v Graham). I'm presuming that would mean Joel and Chubba will be used in the key-defensive roles this week. The actual drill was simply a pair from each group would run out and one took the mark then quickly dished off to his partner who kicked to the next pairing. After it got to the fourth pairing they would then kick it to a 1-on-1 duel between the bigger blokes up "forward" in the square. Overall ok but a number of passes were sloppy andwent astray. I'm hoping that was more due to the windy conditions :-\. Just for Moi - Rainesy was very clean with his disposal.

The rest of the session was focussed on gameplan drills. The first was a 5 vs 5 goal to goal rebounding and transition drill followed by the same thing but from a kick-in and CHB huddle. It seemed the guys had adjusted better to the wind as this was performed far more cleanly. Wallace did have to remind them that the "ball moves quicker by foot".

The remaining drills concentrated in inside 50s and forward contexts. At the far Brunton Ave end one group would pass deep to 1-on-1 contest. I saw Lids do a couple of ripping firm and low passes that hit their mark. Most of the other guys did well too as they kicked at least to the advantage of the forward which was good to see. The other group at the Northern end close to us worked on crating a 3-on-3 contest with the forwards bringing the ball down to the crumbers. Wallace kept emphasising that there needs to be someone "front and square". Richo was throwing himself in every contest even if he got there before the ball had even arrived :rollin. I was glad to see everyone get up fine in a couple of collisions. I think Richo might have copped a knock to the hip at one stage as he got a massage from the trainer but he was fine afterwards.

The squad finished off with Wheadon kicking to a pack at the top of the square with crumbers doing some quick snaps off the pack. Rodan, Krak, Tivs, Paddy, Tambo and Humm did the main crumbing from what I saw. Richo tried one but it went 15m out on the full in the big fella's enigmatic style :lol. Hughes took some good pack marks just through having such clean hands when going for a mark. The goalkicking from range was generally poor but the wind was creating havoc. I was watching Tuck, Hughes and Rodan having set shots and a straight kick would deviate like anything.

The only other news is that Matt White is bald which isn't a good look lol (looks like Nathan Eagleton but with a slight growth all over). Apparently a mate shaved his head on his birthday last Saturday. 

Offline General Disregard

• Future Richmond star
  • Forward !!! he cried from the rear
« Reply #178 on: April 19, 2006, 08:36:14 PM »

The squad finished off with Wheadon kicking to a pack at the top of the square with crumbers doing some quick snaps off the pack. Rodan, Krak, Tivs, Paddy, Tambo and Humm did the main crumbing from what I saw.

Boy would I ever like to see us getting crumbing goals rather than watching the opposition rebound easily out of defence

Thanks for the report, I don't get up to the city as much these days :thumbsup
:pray :pray :pray :pray :pray

Please please please

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #179 on: April 20, 2006, 05:14:15 AM »
Boy would I ever like to see us getting crumbing goals rather than watching the opposition rebound easily out of defence

Yeah GD it was good to see us yesterday work on our crumbing for about 30 minutes with a couple of different drills. The last time we were any decent at it was when Daffy and Naish were around up forward  :-\.