Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 905961 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #225 on: May 25, 2006, 03:42:31 AM »

Lids (foreground), Sugar, Cogs, Limbach // A barefoot Richo and Joel discuss the meaning of life without the captaincy this week lol while Sarge looks on.

The final drill // Casserly lines up for a shot amongst the organised chaos.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #226 on: May 31, 2006, 02:29:51 PM »
Training started at 11 but I could only make it to the last hour 12-1pm. Absent were Lids (inj), Chaffey, Knobel, Hall, Krakouer, Hyde and Moore. Richo was watching training by the fence with his arm in a cast.

Barry Rowlings (wearing a Crazy Johns polo) was also watching training from the race. The Crazy Johns mascot was nearby without his mask on and everyone was poking him in the stomach lol. Not sure what was happening with Crazy Johns there but even Flea had a CJ polo on.

The squad was practicing their running goals when I arrived. 2-on-1's where the attacker would take on the defender and either have a shot or if he drew the defender handball off to his teammate who would take the shot. I take it from that we'll be taking Freo on with a running attacking style this week. Nicely done btw.

The squad then split into Black and Yellows for a scratch match. Sarge was the only one to not participate. 

Blacks:             Yellows:

1. Newman       2. Gas
4. Raines          7. Browny
5. Simmomds    8. Roach
10. Stafford       18. Rodan
11. Joel             19. Limbach
14. Polo            23. Jackson
15. Pettifer       25. Schulz
16. Paddy          29. J.O.N. 
17. Johnson      33. Hartigan
21. Tuck           34. Hughes
22. Meyer         35. White
24. Cogs           37. Casserly
26. Patto          38. McGuane
30. Tambling    41. Foley
32. Tivs            42. Humm
39. Kellaway     43. Howat
                         44. Graham

Some match-ups: Pettifer-White, Tambling-Roach, Browny-Meyer, Patto-McGuane, Simmonds-Graham, Tuck-Humm and Kellaway-Hughes. Staff played at FF for the Blacks with Gas FB while Hughes FF for the Yellows. Polo was in a FP minded by JON.

Blacks:   3.1-19  (Polo, Simmonds, Newman). Nice set shots by Polo and Newman (on the "siren") both on an acute angle.
Yellows:  0.1-1

The game was played with very good intensity and full on tackling. Kingy gave Pettifer a wrap for his tackling in holding the ball inside the Blacks forward line. You could clearly hear the hits from the stand. Joel, Tivs, Newman would push forward from defence by passing short then sprinting forward past the mark into space to receive the footy back closer to goal. The Blacks won by being cleaner with their final pass inside 50 whereas the Yellows' passes were now and then chopped off. Best were Joel, Tivs, Newman, Polo, Cogs, Simmonds and Paddy. Hartigan got a fair bit of the footy but turned it over a couple of times. White did ok off a HBF.

As mentioned in the other thread, Browny completed the whole session with the main group including the scratch match and looked pretty good.

The session finished with Kingy acting as a defender and getting the boys to take him on and kick a goal on the run under pressure. White and JON both burnt poor Kingy off with pace. Newman, Tivs, Hartigan and Polo also joined in. Steve Alessio worked with Simmo and Patto with their ruckwork. The rest were practicing their leads and marks with one of the trainers.

And that was it for the day and Wallace sounded pleased with how it went.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #227 on: May 31, 2006, 07:21:47 PM »
Barry Rowlings (wearing a Crazy Johns polo) was also watching training from the race. The Crazy Johns mascot was nearby without his mask on and everyone was poking him in the stomach lol. Not sure what was happening with Crazy Johns there but even Flea had a CJ polo on.

Crazy Johns are sponsoring the Legends cup match this season - I think this year it is on as the curtain raiser to the North game on June 10th

Both Bazza & Flea are down to play - any supporter can play if they are prepared to cough up $1500 ;D

After all these years of being a "gonna" CJ's is finally a "doin"
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #228 on: June 07, 2006, 01:42:38 PM »
Not a long training session for a Wednesday. It went from 11am to about 12.15pm. Obviously Terry reducing the workload to allow the boys to recover after the trip to Perth and be fresh again for Saturday. I got there a bit late and was listening to Bracks and Andy D press conference then listened to March.

Everyone was in attendance that I saw except for Chaffey and Thursty. Richo has the plaster cast off but there's still a splint/support on his arm and around his wrist and hand. Although he wants to play in Tassie and will travel down their anyway with the team, he won't be back until after the midseason break according to March.

Lids is right to play this week but Krakouer's knee is still a bit sore so is doubtful. Both did the whole training session though and Krak's gallop didn't look restricted.

Browny got through the whole session too and looked fine so yeah he's right to play this week too if he pulls up fine tomorrow without any pain.

Schulz got through too and performed very well in the running drills for a big bloke. There was hardly any physical contact at training today so hard to tell if his shoulder is right for an AFL game. He showed no signs of any discomfort so hopefully he's right to go too.

The order of the day was run and carry drills. The first was a midfield group would huddle in the centre and then break out and work the ball to the forwards (Simmo, Staff). The second one was a full length ground drill of 5 vs 5. The 5-team with the ball needed to run the ball forward and then hit a teammate over the top of his direct opponent while he running inside 50 towards the goals who would take a running shot. Very nicely done down the field with hardly a mistake. Sugar, Blingers and even Knobel  :o pulled off the best pinpoint passes. The running shots on goal were on about par.

Training finished on a lighter note with the squad lined up in two rows about 30-50m out from the Northern end goals and each player taking a set shot while getting a ribbing. Tucky won the day as he hit the Motorola sign dead centre on the netting behind the goals. Worst kick was Krak lol who's kick went off the side of the boot. I would've said 50% of the shots went through the middle so although it was a bit of fun you would hope for better accuracy. Pettifer sangged his shot so no swearing at himself today   ;D.

And that was it. Too finish off Meyer, Cogs, Schulz, Jacko and Rodan did some sprints. Rainesy, Newman and Knobel practiced marking on short leads. Tuck, Humm and JON did handball drills off the trampoline by the fence. The rest either did goalkicking or push-ups.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #229 on: June 14, 2006, 02:22:15 PM »
Just got back from training today. I only got to see the last 30-40 minutes so only a brief report today.

There were a few absentees when I rocked up. No Chaffey, Richo, Knobel, Jackson or Thursfield as expected as they're all injured. Also missing (or possibly left early before I got there) were Paddy Bowden, Tuck, Jackson, Hyde, Moore and Humm. Johnson and Joel stayed out of the drills and watched on.

Browny completed the whole session which was great news  :thumbsup.

Stength and one-on-one drills under pressure were the order of the day. The squad would get into a circle with a pairing in the centre and one player would have to fight for position to receive a handpass from the boys around the circle then dish it off again while the other tried to block him and steal the footy. Good intensity and it really tested the fitness as some were breathing hard after their turn. Those short of match fitness seemed to be feeling it the hardest (Casserly was stuffed). Funniest pairing was Gas and Staff. Gas early on just kept running around the perimeter of the circle with poor Staff trying to keep up (if Staff had stayed in the one spot he would have had better luck lol). It became more of a contest as Gas got tired. Foley and Cogs was the best duel. Like two dogs fighting over a bone.

While half of group continued to do that, the other half were paired up to wrestle the footy of each other standing up. From memory Newman v Hartigan, Razor v Schulz, Hughes v Chubba, White v Meyer were some of the pairings. Once again plenty of hardness and good intensity. Terry obviously wants them switched on physically this week.

The session finished with some goalkicking. Once again Kingy took the young midfielders through some long running goal practice. Krak and Hughes were practicing kicking torps with Wheadon. Polo, McGuane and Sarge were taking shots from the boundary. The  rest did set shots.

I spoke to one of the fitness staff and they are really happy with how the  young blokes are coming on. Give us 2 more years  :thumbsup

letsgetiton!

« Reply #230 on: June 14, 2006, 05:35:16 PM »
thanx mt, love reading ur repo :thumbsuprts!

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
« Reply #231 on: June 15, 2006, 01:03:30 AM »
yep  thanks MT  appreciate the training updates   whats happening with #40  dont seem to hear much about him at all
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #232 on: June 15, 2006, 04:16:14 AM »
 whats happening with #40  dont seem to hear much about him at all

Kel Moore has just come back the last week or two from some hip injury. He just hasn't been able to stay away from injury.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #233 on: June 15, 2006, 01:00:28 PM »
yep  thanks MT  appreciate the training updates   whats happening with #40  dont seem to hear much about him at all

Kel Moore played for the Coburg reserves last week against Frankston.

Spent alot of time up forward, out of the goalsquare, next to Cleve. I missed a fair bit of the second half because I was in the Dolphin Social Club trying to de-frost  ;D but I think he may have gone down back (HBF) in the last quarter
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #234 on: June 28, 2006, 02:24:06 PM »
Juts got back from training at Punt Road. A big crowd turn-up with heaps of kids. Not sure why there were so many. I saw a Auskick back-pack so maybe that had something to do with it.

I got to Punt Road about 11.40pm and the squad was about to start a scratch match (two quarters) which took up most of the training session. Absentees were Richo of course getting the pins taken out of his wrist, Thursfield and Cogs. Chaffey, Knobel and Humm didn't play in the scratch match and left early.

Score
Blacks  - 5.2  6.8-44   (Schulz 3, Patto, Krak, Pettifer)
Yellows - 0.3  1.4-10   (Meyer)

Match-ups

Blacks forward line

B:  Lids               Schulz        Krakouer
Y:  McGaune      Kellaway      Raines

B.  Pettifer        Pattison       White
Y:    JON          P.Bowden      Limbach

B.  Hall            Tivendale       Jackson
Y.  Hyde            Roach           Hartigan

B.   Jackson        Moore             J.Bowden   
Y.   Hartigan   Browny/Hughes 

B.  Casserly       Gaspar           Newman
Y.   Meyer        Simmo/Staff     Tambling

B.  Graham               Tuck         Foley
Y.  #20 (Coburg?)   Johnson     Rodan

Yellows forward line

B. Polo
Y.  Howat

Best:

Schulz and Pettifer were shining lights up forward. Good strong leads and marks. If Sarge doesn't play this week then he never will. JON started well in the scratch match picking up heaps of footy through the middle but Petts got the better of the duel for the rest of the game.

Patto carried on from where he left off in the Hawks game. He's still learning but coming along nicely. Nice snap shot for goal out of a pack under pressure too.

Krakouer's attitude was good. Despite one stupid 20m pass straight to a opponent he was involved in the game. Would have had his neck just ahead of Rainsey in their match-up.

Hyde the Yellows best by far. Gots heaps of it through the middle. Not sure why Razor was matched-up against him on a wing  :o.

Tambling and Meyer were clean in everything they did although they didn't get much of it up forward. Blingers moved into the centre towards the end of the game and immediately won a clearance. 

Lids, Sugar and Razor didn't look 100% in their movements. They all got through the whole session though as far as I know. Lids had two set shots and while they were on an angle he scored a point from one and OOF from the other. Mind you the set shot goalkicking in the second quarter often left alot to be desired with a number of misses which sadly is nothing new for us and hurts us in the real stuff given the new instant kick-in rule.

Browny didn't get much of it either.

The rest were fairly even match-ups. The difference between the two teams is one had an effective forward line and the other didn't.
The Blacks were able to isolate the leads of Schulz, Pettifer, Lids, Patto and Krak while most Yellows forward entries were contested pack marks/spoils. Only Tambling and Meyer were able to on occasions get free on the lead.

After the practice match, the squad did a 5 v 5 full-ground rebounding drill. Pettifer and Moore stayed out of it on the boundary. On the whole very well done with clean movement of the footy. Our more quick guys did the best - Tambling (nice sprint and running goal), White, Newman, Hyde, Hartigan.

The session finished off with the squad breaking up into their respective end of training routines - set shot and running goalkicking, push-ups, etc.. .

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #235 on: June 28, 2006, 04:21:54 PM »
Y. #20 (Coburg?)   Johnson     Rodan

Apparently going by BF the kid wearing #20 was Jonathan Lee. I should have known as the kid has the same long straight hair haircut that his Dad had.

Offline Limbach_19

• Future Richmond star
  • Leroy Jetta
« Reply #236 on: June 28, 2006, 11:31:57 PM »

Apparently going by BF the kid wearing #20 was Jonathan Lee. I should have known as the kid has the same long straight hair haircut that his Dad had.
How did he go?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #237 on: June 28, 2006, 11:51:51 PM »

How did he go?

He was only on for a short while from what I saw L19 and I don't remember him touching the footy. They put him in the ruck against Graham at one stage but didn't allow him to contest it (insurance reasons?). He also called for the footy from the wing on his own but no one passed it to him. It seemed more a case of evening up the numbers and giving one of our guys a rest on the boundary as part of the rotation. So I couldn't judge his skills. His size though was good for a kid who is just 17. He's obviously still too light framed for AFL footy as a ruckman but at a supposedly 196cm and 85kg he's no toothpick. That's why I thought he may have been a Coburg player as size wise he just looked like a Limbach (the real one  ;D  ;) ) or McGuane.

Apparently Lee is going to be down at Punt Road all this week so if you're able to get down to Friday's training session you might see him if he's still training with us.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #238 on: June 29, 2006, 02:54:32 PM »
i heard today was a closed session, does this  mean this game is our "crunch" game as terry rarely has closed training sessions??

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #239 on: June 29, 2006, 03:34:37 PM »
i heard today was a closed session, does this  mean this game is our "crunch" game as terry rarely has closed training sessions??

The public sessions are on Wednesday and Friday at 11am so I don't believe the closed session today is unusual X. Of course you could still be right about this week being the "crunch" game. Makes sense if it is  :thumbsup.