Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 906246 times)

letsgetiton!

Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #420 on: February 21, 2007, 12:59:38 PM »
Jade Rawlings did have a terrible kicking action, thus his inability to be accurate in front of goal.
Half the reason they tried to play him down back,never mind!

If you have a look at Richos tapes back to 1995, his action has changed dramatically

richos action changed dramatically after he wrecked his knee at the scg.
yes he came back and kicked a bag of goals, but playing as a roaming fwd not kpp.
on the run he rarely misses , his sets shots are his problem, why, maybe he thinks and tries too hard, but a free running open goal or goal on the run is more instinctive 4 him

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #421 on: February 21, 2007, 02:05:47 PM »
Jade Rawlings did have a terrible kicking action, thus his inability to be accurate in front of goal.
Half the reason they tried to play him down back,never mind!

If you have a look at Richos tapes back to 1995, his action has changed dramatically

richos action changed dramatically after he wrecked his knee at the scg.
yes he came back and kicked a bag of goals, but playing as a roaming fwd not kpp.
on the run he rarely misses , his sets shots are his problem, why, maybe he thinks and tries too hard, but a free running open goal or goal on the run is more instinctive 4 him

I would back him everytime from set shots 45 m out on a 45 degree angle on his left as he faces goals. Hardly ever misses those harder shots

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #422 on: February 21, 2007, 02:34:28 PM »

i reckon the problem with richo's kicking is the gliding of the football to boot

he releases the football to high ...

he needs to kick over the ball ... and not kick leading back ... needs to get his body behind the ball ...

Moi

« Reply #423 on: February 21, 2007, 04:45:49 PM »
Looking forward to this training report.
If you don't come up with the goods, MT  ;) there will be tears  :P

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #424 on: February 21, 2007, 04:55:07 PM »

i reckon the problem with richo's kicking is the gliding of the football to boot

he releases the football to high ...

he needs to kick over the ball ... and not kick leading back ... needs to get his body behind the ball ...
Good luck, torch.
The likes of Peter Hudson and Michael Roach have tried and failed.  ;D

I'm happy with him, warts and all.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #425 on: February 21, 2007, 06:08:41 PM »

There'll be tears from the perverts society. Mostly long distance shots  :wallywink.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #426 on: February 21, 2007, 06:58:53 PM »
Training today was at Gosch's Paddock from 2pm to about 4.30pm. Slighty windy at times but mostly a (very) warm sunny day.

Absent today from training were Kingsley, Hall, Petersen and of course Cogs. As mentioned in the injury update thread Simmo, Patto and Knobel were in the rehab group. Collins joined them  during the scratch match quarter. Everyone else including Thursty, Schulz, JON and Hyde trained for the whole 2.5 hour session.

The session began with the squad breaking up into three groups. The main action centred around group nearest to us on the wing under David King involving Newy, Jake King, Clingan, JON, Rainesy, McGuane, Thursty, Joel and a couple of others I've forgotten. David King would kick a high ball (poor Tas copped on in the jaw misjudging one) and then they would handball and pass to each other until David King blew a whistle. They then had to run and pass (avoiding the tackles of a trainer) and pass to the leading player from the group in the goalsquare. JON was the most exciting one to watch with his pace. Some excellent passes by JON, Joel and Rainesy.

For the next drill the whole squad lined up in two rows about 20m apart facing one another. They (in teams of white and black) then had to work from one side to another with handball in groups of 4 or 5 against the other team. Initially it was a bit scrappy and Rawlings pulled them up and told them to "lift your skill level boys". Which they did as the drill was done very cleanly and smartly from that point onwards. For the OER perverts society this is when the boys had their tops off. I can see Moi cancelling her diary and turning up to training this Friday lol.

Next up was a handball receive and footpassing drill. Eight groups in a square with two groups per corner. One player would mark the incoming pass then dish off a handball to a running teammate from the other group on the corner who would kick to the next corner. Mostly well done although a number of the incoming passes at one corner kept overshooting the receiver. Not sure if that was due to the wind but it was only happening at one corner. Our best foot passes - Lids, Meyer and Casserly - always stand out in these drills.

After that the squad has a one quarter pseudo scratch match betweens blacks and whites. The pseudo part comes from the game stopping and starting again from a ball-up for every turnover. Also there would be kick-ins even if a goal was kicked. I thought I was going blind at the start when Meyer kicked a goal and they then had a kick-in ..doh!

Scores:

Whites  4.2-26   G. Meyer 2, Moore, Joel. B. Tivs, rushed. Tambo's set shot didn't make the distane.

Blacks   3.2-20   G. Krak 2 (Both long bombs from the square), Cleve. B. Cleve, rushed. I thought Cleve kicked 2 but the trainer said touched.

Turnovers:

Whites 2   (one was by White)
Blacks  5   (one was a combo by Browny and JON).

Some Match-ups:

W B:   Gas      Rainesy
B F:   Cleve     Browny

W HB:  Lids      Polak      Joel
B HF:   Harts    Richo     Rawlings

W mids:  Foley        Sugar      Howat    Hyde          Tuck
B mids:   Edwards   Casserly  Clingan     Pettifer      Riewoldt

W HF:   Moore     Tambo
B HB:    Schulz    McGuane

W F:   Meyer      Jacko
B B:     King      Thursty

Best:

Sugar - collected heaps of possies and hit his targets
Meyer - probably the most influential Danny has been in a scratch match. Marked everything on the lead that came his way and was directly responsible for the 4 Whites goals - 2 of his own and two assists passing off.
Krak let go with some nice bombs from centre clearances.
The usual names - Howat, Joel, etc were solid.

For the last drill the squad split into two groups (even mix of blacks and whites) and each group as Blacks vs Whites would in turn have about 5 minutes to scores goals from a centre bounce. If there was a turnover, the game would start again at a centre bounce. It got pretty competitive towards the end with some of the Blacks in the group waiting their turn, in a huddle pointing out who should be marking whom when Tambo on the Whites side marked all by himself in the goalsquare. For the record the Whites won 4.0 to 1.1.

Teams:
Gr 1:
Whites:  Gas  Hyde  Howat  Foley   Ploak  Tivs Moore
Blacks:   Browny   McGuane  Krak  JON  Jacko Hughes Cass  Connors

Gr 2:
Whites:  Newy  Lids Rainesy  Polak Joel Polo Sugar  Tuck  Meyer Tambo Hyde
Blacks:  Riewoldt Edwards  Richo  Petts  Schulz   Harts Hughes  White  Clingan King

The session finished off with some goalkicking practice. Firstly receiving a handball on the run and firing away and then set shots. Fairly accurately done.

Photos to come later tonight.   

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #427 on: February 21, 2007, 07:03:09 PM »
Forgot to say Graham wasn't there also. Anyone here want to volunteer to be the Richmond ruckman this weekend  :-\.

Moi

« Reply #428 on: February 21, 2007, 07:05:25 PM »

There'll be tears from the perverts society. Mostly long distance shots  :wallywink.
I'm speechless lol  :banghead :banghead :banghead
 :'(

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #429 on: February 21, 2007, 11:36:49 PM »
Thumbnails: (Click to enlarge)

Patto and Simmo in rehab // First drill - Clingan, Raines, JON, McGuane, Gas, Riewoldt

Rainesy // JON

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #430 on: February 21, 2007, 11:38:08 PM »

Richo // Browny

Handball drill with Lids showing off his abs // Sugar with footy in handball drill

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #431 on: February 21, 2007, 11:39:37 PM »

Harts with footy in handball drill // Riewoldt gets the tap against Tucky in the ruck

End of training // Petts // Petts and Clever

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #432 on: February 22, 2007, 08:43:07 AM »
Very impressed with Lids :bow
Good to see Richo getting in the act too.  Jackson has nice pecs as well. :thumbsup

Gordon Bennett

« Reply #433 on: February 22, 2007, 09:36:04 AM »
I know it's been said before, but that's brilliant work MT.Your training reports and photo's are the best in the business. Three cheers for MT!!!

Offline Stephanie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I am from Tigerland!
    • My Myspace
« Reply #434 on: February 22, 2007, 11:03:36 AM »
Very nice pecs, I mean pics
Good work  :thumbsup
On victory we strive. Eat 'em alive!