Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 906438 times)

Offline True Thylacine

• Tiger Rookie
Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #870 on: December 04, 2007, 02:42:35 PM »
A couple of years ago I was a big rap for Ian Callinan and hoped we would rookie him at least but wasnt to be.  The kid is enormously skilled, possibly the best kick either foot I've seen but is now 2 years older.  I am sure Rawlings had something to do with him training with us.  Anyone seen him in action or have any idea what his chances might be?
The only thing going against Callinan is his height or lack of and whether he has the pace for AFL footy. He's obviously a gun at VFL and SANFL level. His foot skills are still as good as you've described TT and he is a dead-eye-dick kick for goal be it crumbing or a set shot. I watched him the other day and he missed only one shot and that was one where the ball slipped off the side of the boot. I don't think the club would have brought or asked him over from SA and kept him training with us for so long if they weren't seriously looking at him. He's obviously one of the final 5 or 6 Miller mentioned in the paper last week. I'd rather give him a rookie spot than say Howat.

Many thanks MT, sounds pretty promising.  I agree with your comment re Howat as I think Callinan brings something different and desperately needed in a genuine goal sneak albeit not super quick or exactly as tall as we may prefer.  Howat, Tiv and Hyde all seem to be competing for the one spot for mine.   His ability to deliver pinpiont either side of his body wont go astray either and the kid has always had his head on straight which is a bonus.   Maybe I am just biased and want another Taswegian.....lmao

blx

« Reply #871 on: December 04, 2007, 04:26:59 PM »
id have callinan purely because i know what im gonna get from tiv,howat and hyde. a fresh scapegoat ... i mean face would a nice change  ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #872 on: December 05, 2007, 12:36:59 AM »
Howat, Tiv and Hyde all seem to be competing for the one spot for mine.   His ability to deliver pinpiont either side of his body wont go astray either and the kid has always had his head on straight which is a bonus.   
Yep TT. Howat, Tivs and Hyde only use their non-dominant leg and foot for standing on. Tivs at least has tried to be more "inside" this year.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #873 on: December 05, 2007, 01:13:26 PM »
Just got back from a warm day at training. Only about a third the squad trained fully today. Mostly the senior players  - Lids, Polak, Browny, Joel, Richo, Polo, Petts, JON, Tambo, Tivs, White, Thursty, Foley and Kingy. Rance was the only newbie who did the main training.

Hyde jogged a fair few laps (coming back from a knee injury)
McMahon did 100m straight semi-sprints and did a few laps.
Sugar, Newy and Cass did a few 200m runs together.
Howat, Collins and Gus were also doing some running on their own. Gus is looking superfit and bigger in the upper body.
Simmo did some ruck practice (non-contact) which was good to see along with Patto and Gus.

I saw Rainsey in the race for a sec. I was told Rainsey and a few others were out there when training started but they had gone inside.

No sign of any of the PSD/rookie trainees today. So I still haven't seen Gourdis.

As for drills, they were doing some agility work again when I rocked up. The players were paired up with a rope or elastic cord tied between them. With cones about 1m apart they would move sideways back and forth facing each then turn and run/sprint 100m. Not sure how hard the others were running but sheesh Rance is quick going by today's training and not just for his size either. He's quick to accelerate to high speed. He was teamed up with poor old Joel first and dragged him along  :lol then comfortably kept ahead of Whitey who is no snail.

After that Thursty, Polo, Kingy and Richo went for some kick to kick while Newy joined the main squad for tackling practice with the NRL guys. First up was some 1-on-1 wrestling on the ground. Um Richo showed some of his "bedroom" moves when he was on top of Rance  :whistle. Welcome to the AFL Alex  ;D. Next up was some 1-on-1 basic tackling. They finished with each player having to lay on the ground and then jump up and tackle someone trying to run past them. Polak copped it in the nether region when he tackled Rance and had to have some time out. Rance found out that Foley and a few others have some tricks in their bag to avoid being tackled. He got a bit ticked off with himself but the others walked over and gave him a encouraging rub on the head and tap on the back.

Training overall has been in good spirits and as someone I sit with mentioned to me Plough isn't training them into the ground after what happened last year with all the injuries we copped with that NAB 15 idea.

I only took a couple of photos today which I'll post later tonight. Any questions just fire away.

richmondrules

« Reply #874 on: December 05, 2007, 01:52:41 PM »
Sounds like Rance was trying to kill a few of the old fellas. Good to hear Richo asserted his dominance in the tackling practice, though I have a very unsavoury mental picture after your  description MT. Thanks for that, going to take me a few days to get over it. The Dog Whisperer would be impressed.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 02:08:20 PM by RROFO »

Ramps

« Reply #875 on: December 05, 2007, 01:56:47 PM »
Rance seems to have made a bright start- good attitude, works hard, self analysis, seems to have other players trying to educate him ... not a bad start at all.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #876 on: December 05, 2007, 11:22:25 PM »
Pics from Wednesday's training. Apologies in advance for them not being crystal clear.

Thumbnails - Click on pic to enlarge

Gus and the rest of the squad training in background // Howat, Sugar, Newy and Casserly

Browny, JON, Lids, King, Joel, Petts, White, Rance, Richo, Foley, Polak and co. // The boys all tied up

Wednesday wrestling

richmondrules

« Reply #877 on: December 06, 2007, 10:30:28 AM »
Come on guys. This is one of the best threads on the board IMO. Lets not fill it up with rubbish. Plenty of other places you can have a go at one another.

Looks like my concern has been addressed. My post doesn't make much sense any more. Thanks mods.  :thumbsup
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 09:28:37 AM by RROFO »

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #878 on: December 06, 2007, 12:08:44 PM »
Come on guys. This is one of the best threads on the board IMO. Lets not fill it up with rubbish. Plenty of other places you can have a go at one another.

:clapping

I second that!
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #879 on: December 06, 2007, 12:25:24 PM »
Pics from Wednesday's training. Apologies in advance for them not being crystal clear.

Thumbnails - Click on pic to enlarge

Gus and the rest of the squad training in background // Howat, Sugar, Newy and Casserly

Browny, JON, Lids, King, Joel, Petts, White, Rance, Richo, Foley, Polak and co. // The boys all tied up

Wednesday wrestling
Thank you, thank you, thank you. :clapping :bow

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #880 on: December 07, 2007, 01:41:17 PM »
yes the topic....

Tiger training

I believe the Tigers may have did some of this today :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #881 on: December 07, 2007, 02:34:06 PM »
yes the topic....

Tiger training

I believe the Tigers may have did some of this today :thumbsup
They weren't training on the oval when I went past Punt Rd today but I saw Matty White get out of his car with his bag and then go back to the car twice because he had forgotten something lol.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #882 on: December 07, 2007, 07:35:20 PM »
They weren't training on the oval when I went past Punt Rd today but I saw Matty White get out of his car with his bag and then go back to the car twice because he had forgotten something lol.

In the gym I'd think - weights, boxing etc

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #883 on: December 16, 2007, 12:12:16 PM »
when is our next training session ?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #884 on: December 16, 2007, 05:57:32 PM »
when is our next training session ?
They must be finishing up soon for the Christmas break.