Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 905997 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #960 on: January 19, 2008, 12:42:02 AM »
Thanks MT :clapping

Tell us more about Jon and Jackson?

Do you know when they will be training again?

cracker   
JON started on Polo on a HBF and then spent time chasing after Foley around the midfield before moving back onto Polo. I didn't actually see him get a possession  :-\ apart from a good punch away from Polo. It looked like he was tagging both as he wasn't chasing the footy himself although he didn't shut down either Polo and especially Foley.

Jacko played the whole time in the midfield. It looked like he was given freedom to win the footy as he wasn't tagging or playing anyone too tightly. Probably got a handful of possessions in total and did a couple of nice things. His decision making and execution was very good going forward. Watching him you felt the ball was in good hands when he did have it. His best moment was winning the ball from the centre bounce and hitting Richo on the chest which set up the White team's first goal.

Not sure when or where training is next week yet. PM me next week CT and I'll see if I can find out. The club is still saying they aren't public sessions.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #961 on: January 19, 2008, 12:58:37 PM »
Top stuff MT
You know the season it getting close now the practise matches are starting.
Under a month to go!!!

Offline 3121

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #962 on: January 19, 2008, 01:39:51 PM »
Thanks for the report MT.

Can you tell us, how did Edwards play?  Did he show any silky skills?  What was his kicking like?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #963 on: January 19, 2008, 02:04:45 PM »
Thanks for the report MT.

Can you tell us, how did Edwards play?  Did he show any silky skills?  What was his kicking like?
Edwards played the whole time in the midfield and was fairly quiet possession wise (perhaps 2-3 possessions). He played on Tambo who had the better of him (Tambo was very good) except for once when he left Tambo for dead with a clever blind 360 degree turn and then bursted away. Kicking was fine although as I said he didn't get much of it to judge properly. 

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #964 on: January 19, 2008, 09:44:45 PM »
I hope that Jacko gets a chance to play as a midfielder free of the tagger role this year. I'm sure he's learnt a lot over the last couple of years. Jacko has the toughness of Tucky but with more pace and better evasive skills imho. I think he would hit targets inside 50 better then Tucky could. Tuck wins the ball and blazes away inside 50. Jacko looks for a target and is learning how to find them. It's time to move Jon into Jacko's old role as a run with player and let him learn the game. Tuck could play as a tough half forward or half back changing with Jacko through the middle.       

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #965 on: January 19, 2008, 10:19:21 PM »
Agree on Tucky CT. We won't improve until we find and add a number of classy A-graders into our midfield.

If JON is to become a run with player he's going to have to learn he can't allow his opponent to be 20m off him.

Offline tigerfan1961

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #966 on: January 20, 2008, 05:55:55 PM »
How was the Schulz/Polak contest? Seems like Polly did not get a goal, which possibly augurs well for Schulz as a defender this year?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #967 on: January 20, 2008, 06:44:15 PM »
How was the Schulz/Polak contest? Seems like Polly did not get a goal, which possibly augurs well for Schulz as a defender this year?
A strange contest that one. Polak started high up (more CHF) but they were really bypassed as the Yellow mids were able to run forward of centre and kick deeper towards Hughes, Jack and Lids. In the couple of contests they were involved in it was a pack situation and Sarge was able to spoil.

For me the issue Sarge is going to have to deal with is the same one he has when he plays forward himself. He's got stay in contest when the ball spills from the pack and hits the ground. Those second and third efforts especially need to be there if he is going to play defence.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #968 on: January 20, 2008, 07:40:18 PM »
Well done Mightytigers! Great insightful reports. A pleasure to read especially during a footy drought. :)

I'm very interested in how the players who are playing in new roles went such as Casserly, Newman, Lids, Polak and Cogs (2 years absent).

I think Newman in the midfield will be a masterstroke as will Lids and Polak in the forwardline. The only problem I have with this is that I thought McMahon and possibly McGuane/Moore/Rance/Silvester would be played in the backline in free up Newman and Polak but McMahon in the forwardline seems to throw out this theory.

Casserly could be a great find for the midfield given his size, skills and speed but this depends on his ability to remain injury free which to date has proved his bugbear.

Cogs - expectations are unrealistically high from my end even though I know this year will be a rebuilding (confidence, skills and speed) year more than likely for the young fellow. Any information on him would be extremely appreciated though.

Once again thankyou for your reports MT

Stripes

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #969 on: January 20, 2008, 08:34:45 PM »
Cogs is training fully with the main squad as far as drills go but didn't play in the practice match. Likewise Simmo didn't either. Plough said on 3aw that Cogs wouldn't be ready for the first NAB Cup game so they are rightly being cautious with him and not rushing things.

Newy was very good. Apart from one time when he was told by a teammate to man up in the midfield, he provided good run through the midfield and along one wing, got a heap of footy and pushed forward to nail a nice goal from a tight angle which he was pretty happy about.

I didn't notice Cass too much. A couple of possessions that I saw but not too much influence on the game.

I mentioned Lids in the main report. Played FF starting deep in the goalsquare with Hughes and Jack 20m in front of him. Would use his explosive pace, leap and sticky hands to take marks about 30m out within the "vee". Really should have had 3 goals but missed two set shots.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #970 on: January 20, 2008, 08:38:23 PM »

Newy was very good. Apart from one time when he was told by a teammate to man up in the midfield, he provided good run through the midfield and along one wing, got a heap of footy and pushed forward to nail a nice goal from a tight angle which he was pretty happy about.

I didn't notice Cass too much. A couple of possessions that I saw but not too much influence on the game.

I mentioned Lids in the main report. Played FF starting deep in the goalsquare with Hughes and Jack 20m in front of him. Would use his explosive pace, leap and sticky hands to take marks about 30m out within the "vee". Really should have had 3 goals but missed two set shots.

Disappointing to hear about Cass but Newy and Lids sound the goods. Could we be witnessing the start of a new forwardline structure here?

Stripes

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #971 on: January 20, 2008, 08:49:45 PM »
Disappointing to hear about Cass but Newy and Lids sound the goods. Could we be witnessing the start of a new forwardline structure here?

Stripes
Hopefully but we should wait till we see them perform against real AFL opposition before getting too excited. When you think about it they were only playing against Coburg's backline :shh.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #972 on: January 20, 2008, 09:23:52 PM »
Newy was outstanding in the midfield during the International Rules series while playing for Sheeds. I was always surprized when he wasn't played in a similiar role for our team there-after. With McMahon moving back into the backline (potentially) this would allow Newman the freedom to finally take up this role and add a strong bodied player with plenty of skills straight into the area. From what you said though he needs to become more accountable though while playing there which surprizes me considering that he has had to be nothing but accountable as a defender for years.

You are right about the forwardline and there opponents but I do have high hopes for Lids in particular and Jack just has a nack of creating goals, for himself or his teammates, whenever he gets the ball. Problem is he just didn't seem to get the ball enough for our Tigers last year. I still think Richo is unintentionally holding back our young forwards at the moment but that is for another thread isn't it ;)

Thanks once again MT

Stripes

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #973 on: January 20, 2008, 10:10:24 PM »
I wouldn't be too concerned about Newy's accountability based on being pulled up once in a scratch match. On Friday I would've been pointing the finger more to whoever was matched-up against Newy. A coach won't mind if it's his player who is the more influential and damaging.

I still think Richo is unintentionally holding back our young forwards at the moment but that is for another thread isn't it ;)
LOL and an emotive one at that  ;).

Offline Limbach_19

• Future Richmond star
  • Leroy Jetta
« Reply #974 on: January 21, 2008, 04:18:17 PM »
Anyone know training times for wednesday?