Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 915469 times)

Offline Z-28

• Tiger Rookie
Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #975 on: January 21, 2008, 04:30:54 PM »
lids will always look dangerous if they keep playing snails like sylvester on him, if they are serious about turning him into a forward then put thursty on him for a bit and then we'll see what he's made of

thanks for the report MT

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #976 on: January 21, 2008, 07:46:26 PM »
1st Richmond Tigers Public Training Session for 2008

10am Friday 25th January at Gosch’s Paddock on the Corner of Swan St and Punt Rd

blx

« Reply #977 on: January 21, 2008, 09:37:50 PM »
1st Richmond Tigers Public Training Session for 2008

10am Friday 25th January at Gosch’s Paddock on the Corner of Swan St and Punt Rd

that basically means get there at 8:30-9am if there past times are anything to go by.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #978 on: January 21, 2008, 10:23:04 PM »
Terry usually talks to them for 20 minutes before they start.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #979 on: January 22, 2008, 02:48:49 PM »
I just want to say thanks to all those who take the time to attend training and write reports back to the forum.  It helps make the interminable summer go quicker and keeps all of us unable to attend, informed and whether the information is good news or bad news it helps maintain a 'connection' with the club and other supporters.  Keep up the good work.

:clapping :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #980 on: January 23, 2008, 03:40:47 PM »
I didn't think I could go today but luckily at the last minute I was able to head down to training. It was at bright sunny and warm Vic Park this morning. They started the session around 9.15am and the session went for about two and half hours.

Six Tigers were in rehab - Cotchin, McGuane, Meyer, Thursty, Howat and Graham. Thursty had a bandage around his right knee. They all basically did aerobic boxing drills while the main squad trained. Cotch and McGaune could pack a good punch but Gus was hilarious. The trainer made them box with one arm for about 10 minutes straight. By the end of it Gus would've struggled to knock over a feather (and copping a good ribbing for it too) lol. Connors and Simmo only did half the session all up. Gourdis stayed out of the tackling stuff with the Melbourne Storm boys to work on his kicking.

As for the main squad there was actual no scratch match today but they did do match-like drills first up. The squad split up into two teams with one side wearing our black claw preseason guernseys and the other wearing greeny singlets over theres. The midfielders paired up into attacking and defensive mids would start at different positions around the ground at a stoppage (ball-up in the centre, defence or throw-in on a HBF) . The attacking side would then need to work the ball forward. If they scored a goal it was a win for them; if there was a turnover then it was a win for the defenders. Once again the forwards and backs were pretty much as they were on Friday. Everyone stayed within their forwards and backs grouping but match-ups were rotated and only 6 forwards/backs were on the field at once.

F:  Richo    Polak    Riewoldt  Patto    Browny   Collard  Hughes  Petts      Edwards  Lids
B:  Tuck    Schulz    JON       Rance   King      Moore   Morton   Bowden   Polo    Silvester

Mids:  Cartledge and Putt dueled in the ruck. Rotating through the midfield were Jordy, Foley, Tambo, Tivs, Sugar, Newy, Raines, Jackson, Cogs, Hyde, White, Casserly, Collins.

Terry was up in the Sherrin Stand videoing proceedings. Rawlings had the forwards, Royal the mids and King the defenders.

Special Mentions:

Tambo - impressive again at the stoppages as an "attacker" as well as working hard to get back and help the defenders and cut off a pass. We spoke to Chocco and he's rapted with Blingers' progress this preseason.

Browny - good to see him moving so freely and being heavily involved. Made one stuff up (a kick across the forward 50 was intercepted by JON) but was buzzing around and took several marks on the lead.

Hyde, Tivs and Sugar are much maligned but they played well today. Tivs also kicked one of his trademark long left foot goals. I wish he do it more in the real stuff.

Collins got praise from Joel for his efforts in the centre. Edwards was handy to inside 50 and kicked a goal.

Morton off a HBF should please supporters with his field kicking if today is anything to judge by. One of the trainers commented that he's a good kick. Another trainer quipped back that at least we've got one :ssh.

Everyone loves Kingy because he's a little mongrel who annoys the heck out of his opponent lol. Richo one time shoved him away ;D.

Cogs didn't have a starring role by any means but it was good to see him finally back in the midfield. He had an icepack on his knee after training but it looked only precautionary as he didn't seem too fussed about it and walked off the track fine.

Jordy said after training you can judge how we're going in round 1. 

Overall the midfield and defensive work was very good today. Clean possessions and delivery over distance. Probably the only criticism was some of the final passes to the leading forwards were still too Richmond-like (going over heads or leading at a leading forwards feet). 

After the match simulation drills, Robbie Kearns from the Storm came by and took the squad through some tackling and wrestling drills. Simmo didn't participate and did some kicking on his own with a trainer and then Gourdis. For the first drill the players had to pair up to wrestle starting on their knees. Next one player had to tackle a whole line of players one at a time running at him. Richo loved this as he would dump everyone to the ground lol. For the final drill you had to try and stop them getting past you. Poor Rance still struggles at this when he has to tackle the nimble Foley and Polo.

The remainder of the session was then a run-a-thon for about 30 minutes. Whitey, Edwards and Tambo were first home most times. The boys not surprisingly were pretty stuffed afterwards.

I took some photos today so I'll post them up later. Not sure how they'll turn out as it was very glarey.

Any questions just fire away. I'll try to answer them when I get a chance. 

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #981 on: January 23, 2008, 03:47:38 PM »
Chocco mentioned that during Friday's public training session at Gosch's paddock there will a two quarter scratch match starting at around 10.15am. A good day to come down and watch training if you're planning to do so. It'd great to get different OERite opinions on how we're travelling :).

There'll probably be another one the following Friday before they head up to Echuca for a full intra-club. Then it's NAB Cup time. 

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #982 on: January 23, 2008, 04:09:26 PM »
Once again MT, thanks for the report, great stuff, almost too good, the club might ban you from training soon for writing such detailed reports!
 :clapping
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #983 on: January 23, 2008, 04:58:43 PM »

Six Tigers were in rehab - Cotchin, McGuane, Meyer, Thursty, Howat and Graham. Thursty had a bandage around his right knee. They all basically did aerobic boxing drills while the main squad trained. Cotch and McGaune could pack a good punch but Gus was hilarious.

What is wrong with Graham? I thought Meyer was injury-free? I most concerned about Thursty - I hope it is a very minor injury.

F:  Richo    Polak    Riewoldt  Patto    Browny   Collard  Hughes  Petts      Edwards  Lids
B:  Tuck    Schulz    JON       Rance   King      Moore   Morton   Bowden   Polo    Silvester

I'm curious about how Tuck, Schulz and Polo went as defenders. How did they match up?

Mids:  Cartledge and Putt dueled in the ruck. Rotating through the midfield were Jordy, Foley, Tambo, Tivs, Sugar, Newy, Raines, Jackson, Cogs, Hyde, White, Casserly, Collins.

How did Cartledge and Putt ruck? Does Putt show any promise? Is Cartledge a ready made ruckman or is he barely beating a new recruit?

Tambo - impressive again at the stoppages as an "attacker" as well as working hard to get back and help the defenders and cut off a pass. We spoke to Chocco and he's rapted with Blingers' progress this preseason.

Exciting to hear. Now he just needs on field consistency.

Browny - good to see him moving so freely and being heavily involved. Made one stuff up (a kick across the forward 50 was intercepted by JON) but was buzzing around and took several marks on the lead.

Any chance he will regain his '05 form? :pray

Morton off a HBF should please supporters with his field kicking if today is anything to judge by. One of the trainers commented that he's a good kick. Another trainer quipped back that at least we've got one :ssh.

Harsh...but fair.  :-\  I thought Morton would be a forward but obviously not.

Cogs didn't have a starring role by any means but it was good to see him finally back in the midfield. He had an icepack on his knee after training but it looked only precautionary as he didn't seem too fussed about it and walked off the track fine.

Hopefully he will add depth and size to our midfield this year. I'm not expecting him to star.

Poor Rance still struggles at this when he has to tackle the nimble Foley and Polo.
Why did he struggle so much compared to the others. Is he slow, weak or easily confused?

Thanks as always for the indepth report MT. You are a God-send!

Stripes

Ramps

« Reply #984 on: January 23, 2008, 06:51:46 PM »
considering that Rance is 6'3 and weighs 93kgs its fair to say that foley and polo are quicker on there feet.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #985 on: January 23, 2008, 07:34:37 PM »
No non public session you certainly have no problems getting in MT ;D

Do they not consider you a member of the public ;D

Are they training Monday - if they are I'll be there  :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #986 on: January 23, 2008, 09:50:13 PM »
Pics from today's training

Thumbnails: (Click to enlarge)

Silvester, King, Browny, Collard, Richo // Edwards, Hughes, Tuck, Patto & Lids // Rance, Richo, Silvester, Hughes

Riewoldt, Tambo, Tivs, Petts, Jordy, Lids, Cartledge & Putt // Cogs and Petts on their way to drinks   

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #987 on: January 23, 2008, 09:51:49 PM »

Lids & Riewoldt // White, Jordy, Collins, Polo, Tivs, Sugar, Cotchin & Putt // Drinks

More drinks // Tuck, Moore, Casserly, Rainesy, Silvester & JON in green singlets head for a drink

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #988 on: January 23, 2008, 09:53:16 PM »

Meyer, Morton, Schulz, Gourdis and Tuck // Cotchin, Gourdis, Collard, Thursty & Putt box on // More drinks (Rance #18, Silvester #36, Gourdis #45)

Rehab (Meyer, Graham, Thursty, Howat & Cotchin)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #989 on: January 23, 2008, 09:54:49 PM »

Robbie Kearns takes the squad through a wrestling drill

Tackling drill // Rehab (Meyer, McGuane, Thursty, Graham, Howat and obscured Cotchin)