Author Topic: A great night ruined  (Read 8751 times)

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
Re: A great night ruined
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2006, 11:42:43 AM »
My story is similar to Jake's only a bit different :rollin

I was sleeping at home, when my alarm clock started to make that noise they do when mobile phones get too close (like a static of sorts). I woke in a daze to see a guy standing next to my bed. As he reached for my wallet sitting on the bedside table, he noticed me stir and said "don't worry mate, I'm from the police, and I need to take this for forensics".

I'm like "What the fu..", and he then still had the balls to go to the other side of my bed quickly and grab my mobile before leaving the room. At that time, I'd just bought a new mountain bike, and it was sitting in my room as well. As the guy left the room, he made comment about the bike.

Still groggy and still only able to say "What the fu..", I got out of bed. Being the decent guy I am, I even took time to put some pants on. I walked out and down the hall but there was only silence, I got to the back of the house, but still saw nothing, and started to think it was one trippy dream.

As I came back through the kitchen, I saw another guy backing out of my housemates room. As he turned and saw me, he was startled and jumped backwards, knocking her door off it's hinges. He pulled a 20cm+ screwdriver from his pocket and took a swing/stab at me.

Now I'm a big guy, but I'm not playing hero to an armed man, especially for my housemates trinkets :help :lol

I reached out and pulled the hall door between him and me, and picked up the phone sitting right by my side. He ran for the front door as I dialled 000. Cops were already in the area, as these guys had already knocked over one house in the area and been sprung by the neighbour, and then also been seen looking suspicious in front and back yards in my street and the alley behind us.

I ran to the front while talking with the cops, but couldn't see either guy. As I waited for the cops, I quickly cancelled cards and put a bar on my phone, then walked to the back of the house, where I noticed a window paine had been removed. I moved back to the kitchen to assess the damage to the housemates door, when I noticed the third bedroom was still shut. I knocked, and to my surprise noticed my other housemate was still fast asleep.  :sleep

Shudder to think what might have happened to her if I wasn't there to wake up and scare of the burgs.

Anyway, to end the long story, the burgs were caught around the corner at the local 7eleven going through my wallet. When the cops came round, we looked in the backyard and found a laptop and other items belonging to the previous house they burgled. I was asked to go give a statement, and identify stolen property (luckily, being stingy, I knew exactly how much money I had on me, right down to correct denomination :clapping). I saw my housemates spare car keys in the box, and was told it was part of their MO to steal keys, and then come back a few days later anf steal the car.

I was also shown the screwdriver that was swiped at me...lets just say big and rusty :pray. I was informed they were known junkies, and had only just been released form their last stint. I was told open and shut case, and unlikely I would be required to appear in court as they would be stupid to contest it. I never got the call.

Lucky it was one of the rare nights I didn't have a hot chick in bed with me.  :whistle :scream
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2006, 11:51:16 AM »
LMAO @ me re-reading that and sounding like a 5 year old telling a story..."and then, and then..."  :lol

Gotta love living in the mean streets of Hawthorn  :cheers
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2006, 01:10:27 PM »
We had the cops come around a couple of years ago with a guy they had got admitting to breaking into several houses, including ours.  The worse thing was that I was in the backyard with the kids and this guy slipped in through a kitchen window, didn't take anything and let himself out the front door.

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2006, 01:25:20 PM »
I've lived in 3 different houses growing up and not once have we had a burglar of any sorts!

The closest we've had was about 4 years ago when someguy jumped the fence and was sneaking around the backyard, my old dog a saint bernard/blue heeler (RIP  :'( :'() wasn't entirely happy about this and him being a big stuffing dog the guy quickly took notice and proceeded to do a runner, jump over the fence and pee bolt down the road!

LOL Boofie only took a few steps to him and when he ran off he just layed down and went back to sleep!  ::) ;D

He was the dog i grew up with though, i miss him!  :'( :'(

Moi

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2006, 01:28:16 PM »
A girlfriend of mine - thick as two planks lol - was washing the dishes and looking out the window as this guy runs across her yard.  She smiles and waves at him to say hi lol.  He had just burgled the house next door  :rollin

Offline Mini Tiger

• Future Richmond star
  • Is that a change on the horizon?
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2006, 02:27:27 PM »
A girlfriend of mine - thick as two planks lol - was washing the dishes and looking out the window as this guy runs across her yard.  She smiles and waves at him to say hi lol.  He had just burgled the house next door  :rollin

Doh!

Touch wood I have never been burgled, or if I have they haven't taken anything.... no pretty sure I haven't been.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2006, 02:41:12 PM »
We had the cops come around a couple of years ago with a guy they had got admitting to breaking into several houses, including ours.  The worse thing was that I was in the backyard with the kids and this guy slipped in through a kitchen window, didn't take anything and let himself out the front door.

We once had a bloke get into our place in Brisbane. He didn't touch any cash, jewellery or chequebooks etc, but he had stashed a heap of clothes in his bag, including all my little bro's underpants. Well the cops got him, but my bro wasn't too happy that forensics needed to keep the underwear for a week.....

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2006, 04:53:04 PM »
When I was a kid in the early-mid 80s, I lived in Yarraville in a typical single-fronted house of that area with a sideway down to the backyard. One night while we were inside, we heard the noise of a car suddenly pull up sharply out the front then, along with voices, the sound of our squeaky front iron gate being opened. Next thing we knew we heard the rattling of our side wooden gate.

We looked out the window that faced the sideway and saw a bunch of blokes trying to climb over the side gate. My mum instantly rang the police to tell them to come quickly but over the phone the policewoman who answered was more interested in us giving a description of what they looked like than rushing on over. My mum fed up said "you can speak to them yourself in a minute" ;D.   

Anyway unknown to the gang, we were about the only house in the neighbourhood with an alarm (it was one of those small door alarms on our front door). So I set it off and these blokes just fled in fright back to the car and drove off except for one who had made it over the sidegate and was left behind by his "mates".

He ran into our backyard and totally freaked out not knowing what to do. One of our next door neighbours who kept to himself had a Doberman (to protect not only this guy's property but also his marijuana plants we found out later in years to come lol) so it became interesting which fence this guy would choose to jump over lol.

Anyway by this time we had run down to the back of our house, turned on the outside backyard light and was watching this bunny caught in the headlights. It was then that fear turned to into laughter. This was in the 80s so the guy had bleached long blonde hair, a bright white t-shirt on, white runners and was wearing the tightest of bright blue jeans. Not the kind of gear a smart crook would wear at night-time with lots of climbing involved :lol. He was also bow legged so when he moved around he looked like he was riding a horse without the horse which just made it all more surreal and hilarious. Anyway he took a chance and luckily for him jumped the fence that didn't have the dog on the other side and got away.

The police eventually turned up with their sniffer dogs and we gave them the description of this guy. The told us to go back inside and they'd lock up when they were done. Next morning we went outside and found the police had forgotten to shut the sidegate after they had left...doh!

We later found out that this gang had no intention of breaking into our house but were after drugs planted in the backyard a few doors down. They would enter other places nearby then climb along the fences to this house to pick up the drugs. The guy who owned this house use to deliver the stuff in a Electrician's van so no one became suspicious. Eventually they were caught out.         
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2006, 09:11:03 PM »
Growing up my parents owned a Post Office and our house was at the back of it.

One night we got robbed they didn't find the keys to the post office so went through our house instead. We found clothes across the back yard with all the pockets turned inside out - they were looking for money.

The B-Astards stole my Skippy money box off the mantle (didn't steal my brothers but nicked mine :banghead) - I don't think I've ever really recovered

When the coppers turned up they were standing at the side gates and asked MA Powell how do they get in? Front door, through the gates? Ma Powell said to them "you come in the same way the Burglars did -over the bloody back fence" :bow ;D :lol :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Bulluss

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2006, 03:01:46 PM »
I recieved a reply letter from the hotel today and they are claiming no liability at all and have said they will not be held responsible for any goods for a guest.

I am currently chasing up some legal advice and will try and see if i can also take this public.

In my opinion i think they have negligent by not having their security cameras turned on, by allowing anyone to access the hotel.
They told me that the place was secure, obviously not if they couldnt stop these guys getting in. They have also had a number of break in in the previous months and should have had increased security for the hotel.

The room we stayed in was also very vulnerable with access readliy available to our balcony.

I am so peeed that i want grab this bloke(hotel manager) and rip his head off. i have had to restrain myself from ringing him today and abusing the crap out of him.

If anyone knows anyone who does deal in Civil law i would appreciate any contact details you may have.

Cheers,

Bull

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2006, 03:12:57 PM »
I recieved a reply letter from the hotel today and they are claiming no liability at all and have said they will not be held responsible for any goods for a guest.

What mongruels! No wonder you're peeed off Bully.

Bulluss

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2006, 03:22:57 PM »
Just got off the phone with the Victorian Legal Aid. They have referred my to a local Legal Community Centre and they have told me that they will draft up a letter of demand for the goods that were stolen.

I told them the unique situation to our room in which it was the only one for the whole floor that had internal access from the building to our balcony. When i told her that it was forced entry from the balcony through which they just walked onto she believes that they should be responsible and should cough up!! ;D

I hope that this is the case and that we get some money back.

This hotel company is fairly big and i am only asking for just under $2000 which to them would be nothing. But to me it isnt easy to just pull that out of my pocket and spend it like that.

Fingers crossed.

I want to screw these bastards ;)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2006, 03:32:40 PM »
I'm no lawyer but if the amount you're after Bully is "just" $2000 then there's the small claims tribunal if it still exists. Basically it's held in a room with you, the guy you are seeking damages from (the hotellier in your case) and a tribunal chairperson. Something to keep in mind.

Bulluss

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2006, 03:40:24 PM »
Yeah thanks MT,

the lady i spoke to before told me that first get this letter of "demand" drawn up and send it off.

if they still dont make any change in their stance well we could then go to mediation and then we could try civil action if we wanted to.

Like i said to my wife, even if it got to a point of haing to take them to court i would do to just shaft them. I know some of those no win, no pay guys will take most of the money if we did win. It would just be sweet delight knowing that i shafted them and they had to pay out ;D

I would feel better anyway!!

Moi

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2006, 04:51:27 PM »
Good luck, Bully - go get 'em.
As you said, $2000 would be nothing to these guys.