Author Topic: The ‘genius’ Clarko move Tigers failed to make (Foxsports/SEN)  (Read 5975 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The ‘genius’ Clarko move Tigers failed to make

Ben Waterworth,
FOX SPORTS
February 2, 2017

MELBOURNE champion Garry Lyon believes Hawthorn’s brutally bold move to drop two veterans last year would help prolong the club’s success near the top of the ladder.

And it’s a brave move that, Lyon says, a certain big Victorian rival club must learn from.

Lyon on Wednesday described the departures of experienced duo Sam Mitchell and Jordan Lewis — which were primarily driven by coach Alastair Clarkson — as a tough yet ‘genius move’ that would have long-term benefits for the Hawks.

Clarkson met with both Mitchell and Lewis after the Hawks were bundled out of the 2016 finals series and informed both four-time premiership heroes that it’d be wise to seek new footy homes, as their contracts were unlikely to be renewed in one year’s time. Subsequently, Mitchell was traded to West Coast and Lewis linked up with Melbourne.

To fill their midfield chasm, the Hawks then traded in emerging on-ball duo Jaeger O’Meara (Gold Coast) and Tom Mitchell (Sydney).

Lyon said the Hawks were still a genuine contender in 2017 — by virtue that they are “likely to finish in the top six — but added that Clarkson’s call on Mitchell and Lewis was as brilliant as it was brutal.

“When I heard that Mitchell was potentially going and then Lewis, I thought to myself: ‘That is classic Alastair Clarkson’ and I thought it was a genius move. I really did,” Lyon told SEN.

“It said to me there’s a fellow who has a really great understanding of his list and group.

“The minute they didn’t contend — and I think in mind he realised they were some way off — he just said: ‘I’ve got to make hard calls. I’m not going to wait for another year because of who it is or the personnel … which means out goes Mitchell and out goes Lewis. But in my own mind, I’ve got O’Meara for 10 (years), I’ve got Tom Mitchell for 10, therefore I’ll make the call and live with the consequences.’”

Lyon then compared Hawthorn and Clarkson’s list management approach to Richmond, which opted not to trade out any of its top-end talent out following three unsuccessful finals campaigns (2013-2015).

It was only until Geelong and GWS approached Brett Deledio late last year — he would eventually land at the Giants — that the Tigers entertained trading out an A-grade player.

“I compare (Hawthorn’s attitude) to some other clubs — and I want to mention Richmond here. This is a footy club who were making finals, losing but thinking they were close enough. So they go again, made finals and lost, made finals and lost and then it was Deledio out,” Lyon said.

“Had they had the awareness perhaps of a Clarkson at Hawthorn, who said ‘we made finals and lost but we’re some way off, let’s make a tough call’.”

Lyon also refuted a claim that trading out club champions Lewis and Mitchell was toying with Hawthorn’s culture.

“That’s the process of great football clubs who make, hard tough calls — irrespective of personal feelings or whether it’s going to look messy,” Lyon said.

“What could’ve been messier: Round 7, Clarko’s got Mitchell and Lewis in a midfield that’s getting slower and slow and he’s thinking: ‘How am I going to manage this?’

“He’s looking forward and I applaud that.”

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/sport/the-brave-yet-genius-hawthorn-call-richmond-failed-to-make-according-to-garry-lyon/news-story/1fd843297129d1585508b32c1bd49d09

tony_montana

Re: The ‘genius’ Clarko move Tigers failed to make (Foxsports/SEN)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 05:27:12 AM »
 :huh

What exactly is he trying to say here? What players does Richmond have the wrong side of 30 that we should have traded? I can understand this article if we refused to trade Lids and Vickery but fact is we did. So why relate this back to us? Really dumb article and obvious troll

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 07:19:11 AM »
So Lewis is so slow, Melbourne went after him....

Isn't that Gary's team?

Well done Garry! :clapping
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 08:35:16 AM »
Gary can pee off.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 08:44:33 AM »
Let's see how the Hawks go with Vickery before the applause starts

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 09:02:16 AM »
All those flags the Hawks have won after trading out Mitchell and Lewis... Clarko is a genius!
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 12:43:32 PM »
:huh

What exactly is he trying to say here? What players does Richmond have the wrong side of 30 that we should have traded? I can understand this article if we refused to trade Lids and Vickery but fact is we did. So why relate this back to us? Really dumb article and obvious troll
and he gets paid to write such ignorant drivel.
We traded the only player that goes close to fitting the description, and he says we failed to make the same move?
It shows that intelligence is not a pre requisite to work in the media
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 08:38:50 PM »
Gaarry, total tool.

Sen has lost me with his morning segment.

So we should make a tough call and trade out 2 superstars such as Batchelor and Morris?

Laughable

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 10:46:11 PM »
I love gary Lyon if for no other reason than being able to read outraged reactions like this thread to his articles.It is golden.
How many times do i read this journo and that journo have nfi yet they do an article and low and behold we have this thread Freakin funny.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 07:00:37 AM »
Gaarry, total tool.

Sen has lost me with his morning segment.

How bad is it? Youve got Gaaaaaary, the annoying Hamish and Timmy.

Ruined my morning drive.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 09:26:27 AM »
I just cant stand Hamish. Kinda bloke who smells his own undies and smiles.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 03:03:20 PM »
Lyon is a idiot.

As if what Clarkson did was a master stroke, it blew up in his face actually, he did not want to loose both.

Lewis cracked the poos and said well get stuffed I'm leaving, leaving Clarkson with a PR nightmare. Lyon just adding to the PR area control of the Hawks and attempting to kick Richmond in the guts in the process to create controversy - these idiots actually think attacking Richmond is good for ratings. 
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 03:50:40 PM »
Lyon has always had his favourites and hated teams. His old man played for Hawthorn.

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018