Author Topic: What's the worst piece of crap you've ever purchased?  (Read 5477 times)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
What's the worst piece of crap you've ever purchased?
« on: January 31, 2006, 01:05:43 PM »

Apart from my 1989 reserved seat membership and my 1982 rust ridden Ford Econovan, the worst piece of crap I've ever purchased was the never to be seen again 'Sketch-A-Graph'. I bought it back in the early eighties to help me with a school geography assignment and it transposed a map of Australia into a map of Italy and a map of Africa into a map of the USSR. Biggest piece of crap ever made! It never worked. :banghead The ad on TV made it look soooo easy and of course anything with the endorsement 'As seen on TV' just had to work. 3 weeks of paper deliveries down the drain and 48 hours of my life I'll never get back!

Offline Mini Tiger

• Future Richmond star
  • Is that a change on the horizon?
Re: What's the worst piece of crap you've ever purchased?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 01:10:41 PM »
Meatloaf Bat out of Hell album 2

(Is that what it was called, I seem to have conveniently lost it!)

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 01:12:46 PM »
A hair-removal device - can't remember what it is called.  But you have these tweezer like thingies which can only eliminate one hair at a time and you have to hold the hair for around 30 secs.  Like I have all that time to waste >:(

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 04:53:13 PM »
A hair-removal device - can't remember what it is called.  But you have these tweezer like thingies which can only eliminate one hair at a time and you have to hold the hair for around 30 secs.  Like I have all that time to waste >:(

Certainly not if that's you in the photograph  :scream :scream :scream
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Ox

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 05:27:00 PM »

Apart from my 1989 reserved seat membership and my 1982 rust ridden Ford Econovan, the worst piece of crap I've ever purchased was the never to be seen again 'Sketch-A-Graph'. I bought it back in the early eighties to help me with a school geography assignment and it transposed a map of Australia into a map of Italy and a map of Africa into a map of the USSR. Biggest piece of crap ever made! It never worked. :banghead The ad on TV made it look soooo easy and of course anything with the endorsement 'As seen on TV' just had to work. 3 weeks of paper deliveries down the drain and 48 hours of my life I'll never get back!

Roolin Fwoy.
Came in a reddish cardboard box and woked on the two pens taped together principal.except they put them a foot apart
supposedly to achieve a better copy.
I remember that piece of crap only too well.
I too was sold by the commercial,only to be frustrated and eventually annoyed.

Another thing was a product called "Record Selector" by K-tel.
I only saw it on tv as a kid but remember thinking how it was a complete load of crap.

What i wanna know is if anyone here ever got sucked into the Kevin Trudeau memory tapes.
I borrowed them of a mate and now i cant remember what i did with them ???

Jackstar

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 07:32:21 PM »

Now Julzqld, havent you heard of the word Brazilian :jump

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 08:51:44 AM »

Roolin Fwoy.
Came in a reddish cardboard box and woked on the two pens taped together principal.except they put them a foot apart
supposedly to achieve a better copy.
I remember that piece of crap only too well.
I too was sold by the commercial,only to be frustrated and eventually annoyed.

Another thing was a product called "Record Selector" by K-tel.
I only saw it on tv as a kid but remember thinking how it was a complete load of crap.

What i wanna know is if anyone here ever got sucked into the Kevin Trudeau memory tapes.

Rollin Ox  :rollin
I think I remember that record selector thing. Here is a great site that might bring back some memories for you.
http://www.nostalgiacentral.com/pop/ktel.htm

Today, all they've done is replace the K- with a Dem. Still the same crap only now instead of 30 second commercials they have whole shows dedicated to this garbage! 10 easy payments of 49.95 plus $800 for delivery. I could go to their warehouse in a cab and it would still be cheaper than their ridiculous delivery charges.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 09:07:09 AM »
I can't think of anything too bad so I'll cheat use one from a mate when I was at school. It was his mum's purchase but he suffered the consequences.
To save money on haircuts she got this gadget called the Hair Magician. Basically a comb with a razor blade in it. He reckons having it used on him was like having his hair pulled out by the roots. ;D  You could tell the kids whose mums had one - they were the ones who looked like they'd had a chunk of bubblegum hacked out of the side of their head.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Ox

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 02:47:14 PM »
That site kicks ass.
Gees people were stupid in the 70s. :wallywink

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 02:56:35 PM »
I remember once buying one of those fancy tin-openers that "guaranteed " to make tin opening a breeze. Half the time it wouldn't even fit properly on the rim of a tin to cut it open :-\.

And although I never have owned one, those big exercise spheres that you roll over are a safety hazard :lol

You've got to love those late night infomercials. By buying Tony Robinson's CD's for $X , he'll show you how to become successful, wealthy and have good self-esteem  :rollin.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Ethel Merman

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland... we really mean it.....
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 03:40:57 PM »
The worst piece of crap I've ever purchased - and eaten - was some kind of fruit mince slice from a general store out Smiths Gully way.   It delivered the without doubt the worst bout of food poisoning I've ever encountered, the only the thing I didn't experience was hallucinations, :chuck this was about 1981 but I still shudder at the thought, missed a week off work, two games of football then trained and played like pooh for a month after.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2006, 04:33:46 PM »
It's usually this time of year we get the annual ant invasion. So we bought this electronic insect repellent device recently that you plug into a power point and it's meant to give off electromagnetic waves that make all insects pee off. Well it seemed to be working stopping the ants finding gaps in the walls/kitchen bench to come in but just one the weekend they just came straight through the front doorway and around the walls to the kitchen :scream.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2006, 09:26:19 PM »
MT, One of the best things for Ants is 'Ant Rid'. A couple of drops outdoors on the ant path and they'll be taking home a meal that they'll never remember and share it with the rest of their extended family! The aftermath will make any ants nest look like Victoria Park!  :rollin  "Say hello to my little friend! Muhahahaha!" Sorry, Just having a Cadyshack moment!  ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 04:02:56 AM »
lol @ Caddyshack moment.

Ant rid only seems to work at our place if you stick it next door so the ants are attracted away lol :shh  ;D.